Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Psychics & Mages RTD {Turn 3!}  (Read 5989 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Psychics & Mages RTD {Starting soonish}
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 05:34:29 pm »

If you catch an arrow to the knee
I see what you did there.

any magical or herbal treatments will not work on you, as they are designed to work on humans. Your body is contaminated with mana in such a way that it'll reject everything. Your body will heal naturally to an extent, but unless the wounds are sewn shut with your own mana, they'll reopen easily.
Can I shut it with my own mana regardless of my focus?

For normal humans, mana isn't a natural part of their body. Objects and living things are not meant to hold mana, and it always tries to escape into the environment. This is why everything has a capacity, and if pushed past this capacity, the mana is discharged forcefully, usually resulting in death or destruction for the object. As an elf, mana is actually a natural part of your body. Your capacity is quadruple the normal capacity, too. You will pull mana from the environment to maintain equilibrium.

Normal humans are like buckets, with a faucet slowly dripping water into them. Elves, on the other hand, are more like sponges.
So that means I can kick the crap out of anyone of equal skill?

Unfortunately, since it's so integral, (your body is literally woven shut with magic), if you run out if mana bad things will happen.
Not too bad considering humans die if pushed to the limit anyway.

If someone casts a really, really strong dispel on you, bad things will happen.
What kind of bad?

And if you go into a place without any mana whatsoever, you'll have a much harder time recovering. Your magical power is directly proportional to how much mana there is in the environment. If there's more in the environment, you can hold more -- if there's less, you can hold less.
Hmmm... That is a small problem.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Nilum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 05:45:07 pm »

No, you'll need to be conscious. You'll need to focus, and you'll need to get a decent roll.
So that means I can kick the crap out of anyone of equal skill?
Any mage of equal skill, yes. Unless they know you're an elf, in which case they have a few options at their disposal.
What kind of bad?
If humans push their muscles too far, they become fatigued because of ATP depletion. As an elf, your muscles are partially driven by ATP, yes, but also by mana. If someone casts dispel on you (and it makes it through your defenses), it reduces that mana to its most basic form -- pure energy. Your cells would die. Your organs would fail. Your muscles would cease to work. If you weren't brought to an extremely magical environment, you'd die.
Ridiculous.  All that it is to be human can be summarised by friendship, love or mecha.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 05:59:41 pm »

Gosh that was quick. Could I wait list please?
Certainly -- feel free to do up a character sheet, too. It'll help me find a way to unobtrusively slot you into the story.

Thanks - I'll try to get it done tomorrow.

Name: Feckle Hafstreider
Mage or psychic: Mage
Focus or ability: Shadow
Background: to be continued
Feckle wasn't so much self-taught, as cast astray by his self-taught tutor in his mountain village far out from the big cities. Cast astray? No - not so much cast astray as saved. His tutor had had a premonition of the recruiters coming through the village, knowing that they would be looking for any and all promising young magic-users to fight in the raging wars. So Hagfell transformed him into a mountain sparrow, and he took flight. Feckle's been on the run since, really, and he knows he'll never see Hagfell again. His parents, maybe. Hopefully.

He's been self-taught since, drifting from here to there working on farms in the right seasons to pay his way, spending nearly nothing, except his spare time: spent on study. He studies discreetly, and he studies the shadows in his heart, and the shadows about the hearts and minds of others, and the shadows of power. Absence, the opposite of what's real, what's there... behind lies something very real, in fact. Blackened, but not evil; of the dark, but not the dark. He can't rightly explain just yet, but hopes to one day. He is sure there's something there.

He dresses very plainly, mostly grey, and has a not unpleasant face reddened by long exposure to the sun, and a body hardened by long exposure to honest toil.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 06:03:24 pm by lawastooshort »

Nilum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 06:13:29 pm »

Turn 0: Waking in a Barn
The sun is setting, casting a warm glow. The hallway exudes orange as the sun's last rays trickle through the magically-reinforced windows. The four of you, having stayed after class to clean up (for extra credit, of course) begin to make your way back to the dormitory. Derm pauses momentarily.
"There's a place we need to check out," he mutters under his breath, and immediately changes direction. Making his way toward the western wing, he heads to the ground floor. The rest of you follow him without protest.
The halls continue to darken as you proceed toward your destination. Derm is visibly shaken by something. You turn down a hall. The lights are out.
Descending another set of stairs, you're now beneath the academy. The musty smell of cobblestone mixes with the sweet nectar scent of mana infused in the air. Derm begins to walk faster.
"Not much further," he mutters once more.
You descend another staircase. Turn left. Turn left. Descend. Turn left. Descend. Descend. You're getting worried.
Derm pauses, staring at a large door, set into the stone wall several inches. It's wood, but reinforced.
"Rotvic. Dispel this," he orders, pointing a single finger toward the oak obstruction.
Once more, without protest, Rotvic obeys. A wave of his hand and the door's magical protection evaporates. Derm pushes. It creaks open.

Inside is a magic circle, carved inches into the stony floor. Fresh, warm blood trickles through the engraving. As you step inside, four magical torches immediately light, casting a blue glow on the dungeon-like room. In the center of the circle is an altar, and atop the altar, a book.
Derm cracks a smile.
"Come here."

As if ushered by forces unknown, your body moves without your consent. The four of you walk over the magic circle, stepping onto the altar. Derm's hands begin to twitch. His mouth moves, but no sound escapes. He tries again.
Something strange happens. The lights all extinguish, and the ground trembles.
The lights flare up once more, this time red -- the vibrant colors blinding.
You feel dizzy. You raise your hand to your head, and briefly wonder why the ceiling is now the wall and the ground isn't beneath your feet but beside your head. You lose consciousness.

The sun rises, casting an orange glow on everything. Derm lay asleep on a bed of straw, and beside him Reynard, Rotvic, and Gat. They're in a barn of some sort, it would seem. Still wearing their academy attire; standard-issue cravat and button-shirt, trousers and buckled shoes. There's some sort of ruckus outside, and the voices of angry villagers can be heard.
Spoiler: dermonster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: adwarf (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tarran (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gatleos (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 06:55:25 pm by Nilum »
Ridiculous.  All that it is to be human can be summarised by friendship, love or mecha.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Psychics & Mages RTD {Turn 0 -- players, post your actions}
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 06:19:13 pm »

Renard sat up, looked over at Derm, and said "What the hell did you do this time?" With that he jumped off the hay bale, and stood in the middle of the barn as he looked for something sharp.

Look for a sharp object.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 06:22:08 pm »

Gat sits up, coughing and brushing the straw from his shirt. "Always with the dark tomes of unnameable evil... *grumble*"

Crack open the door and peek outside.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 06:42:30 pm »

No, you'll need to be conscious. You'll need to focus, and you'll need to get a decent roll.
That's not what I meant. I'm talking about the other focus. Like, magical school focus.

What kind of bad?
If humans push their muscles too far, they become fatigued because of ATP depletion. As an elf, your muscles are partially driven by ATP, yes, but also by mana. If someone casts dispel on you (and it makes it through your defenses), it reduces that mana to its most basic form -- pure energy. Your cells would die. Your organs would fail. Your muscles would cease to work. If you weren't brought to an extremely magical environment, you'd die.
Oh joy...

Rotvic gets up suddenly. "Why do I hear the sounds of angry villagers and why are we in a barn? I really hope it isn't like in the books and we're going to be burnt in a barn. Derm, what just happened?"

Look around for angry people potentially trying to burn down the barn.

The sun rises, casting an orange glow on everything. Derm lay asleep on a bed of straw, and beside him Reynard, Roytic, and Gat. They're in a barn of some sort, it would seem. Still wearing their academy attire; standard-issue cravat and button-shirt, trousers and buckled shoes. There's some sort of ruckus outside, and the voices of angry villagers can be heard.
Rotvic, not Roytic.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Nilum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 07:01:53 pm »

That's not what I meant. I'm talking about the other focus. Like, magical school focus.
    Then you won't have any problems.
    Rotvic, not Roytic.
    Fixed! Though I think my lists are broken. If I don't double up on the [/list]s they show up at the bottom, inexplicably.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • Break the world, see what falls out.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 07:10:49 pm »

Derm wipes himself off, not phased by the transition. "Oh, you know, bit of forbidden this, a tad of barred that, a dash of 'Things man was not meant to know'. The usual."

Poke around for anything interesting.
    I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
    "Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
    "The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
    "Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
    Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
    • Wyvern Buddy
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 07:11:10 pm »

Wait list me please
    You really can both sig it.
    But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 07:16:24 pm »

"Derm, is that kind of stuff allowed in the college? Heck, is that kind of stuff even safe?"

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 07:19:37 pm »

"Meh, been doing it for a while. Figure if I should have been stopped, someone woulda stopped me. Didn't even try to hide it or anything at some point. Either the staff don't care or they should all be fired for terminal negligence."
    « Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 07:22:04 pm by dermonster »
    "Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
    "The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 07:27:24 pm »

"Derm I'd kill you right now if you weren't our only chance to get back. Still what the hell did you do?"

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 07:30:00 pm »

"Oh lay off it. From what I can tell, it was probably a teleportation ritual. Dunno where we are. For all I know we could be a continent over, or we could be twenty miles away from home. Now can we get on with it and find out where the hell we are, or are we gonna play twenty goddamn questions?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 07:31:30 pm »

"Ah twenty questions sounds fun, but lets kill whoever woke me up first. I was having a good nap."
    Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5