Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pathfinding (Build with, Construct)  (Read 505 times)

mineditall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eccentrix.com/members/kefka
Pathfinding (Build with, Construct)
« on: November 17, 2007, 03:39:00 am »

when a dwarf looks for an item it doesnt count the steps taken to go around a long winding tunnel to grab an object, it goes by the direct distance to the object, up down or around

for instance
i have a level of workshops above a huge strip mine
the mason needs a stone
to get that stone located 15 spaces north in a stockpile he skips that and takes 300 steps around a corner down the stairs and directly below his workshop making that stone 0 steps away but its really more like 350 steps away
so slowing down his progress completely

similar problem with building floors walls and supports (buildings that use raw materials)
i know there is no wood on a floor, and there are rocks just down the stairs in a stockpile whereas wood is located far away from my front door
just above the front door i try to build a floor
somehow miraculously it gives me the first option to build with a wood material which is 16 space away, although its about 30-40 steps away because he has to go 10 to stairs, down stairs, 10 to where he was, and 20 to where the wood stockpile is
however there are stones withing 5 steps of him on a different z level

posting this as one of my masons went down 4 levels to grab a flawless stone fresh cut directly from beneath his workshop
down 4 levels
that requires literally 40 steps to the stairs on the level the stone is on, then 40 steps back to the stone directly below his workshop, then a total of 160 steps to make the round trip

but hey, atleast miners know what they are doing now

dont just behead, i behemoth!