Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mirrorfold, my lovely little fortress  (Read 566 times)

Deus Mortus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
Mirrorfold, my lovely little fortress
« on: December 19, 2011, 08:21:19 am »

OOC: I have completed about a dozen fortresses to the point where there were no threats in the world anymore and generally just got bored with them, I have been too intimidated to start any mega projects and just flooded the fortresses with magma or introduced apocalyptic fun in other ways. So now I decided to create an LP so that I have the motivation to get started on big projects and maybe able to receive some help from readers.

So without further ado, here is the first introductory episode!

In the history of dwarfkind, there have been many stories about a band of disheveled dwarves, banished from court stranded in the middle of nowhere starting new fortresses. This is not one of those tales, my compatriots and I were each accomplished dwarves in the mountainhomes. While we weren't the best at our trades, we were well respected and had decent stable lives.
Yet each of us felt something missing in our lives, some of us wished to find adventure, others simply wished to excel in their craft, my dreams however were larger.
I dreamt of towering constructions of cast obsidian, grand statues of dwarves towering over any enemy, mighty fortifications from which a dwarf could spit on an invading army with impunity. I dreamt of the grandest fortress, an everlasting ode to dwarvenkind.

This is my journal and I hope that other may learn from my failures and victories and that they may remember the many sacrifices made for my dream.

1st Granite, 126, Early Spring

The 7 of us have finally arrived at Mirrorfold, or Onulost in the old tongue, we have chosen to call ourselves the The Balanced Hall, we had much time to argue about this during our journey.

Mebzuth and Minkot, our two miners wanted to call our group The Mighty Stones.
Mebzuth and Minkot, or the stone twins as we soon started referring to them are the strangest pair, Mebzuth is a thin frail dwarf, while Minkot frame is easily compared to an elephant, at first look it is had to imagine two dwarves any more different. Yet close your eyes and hear them talk and it is as if one voice bellows from two throats. The two have been together for a long time, each sharing a fascination with stone that borders on obsessive, even for dwarves. They tend to finish each others sentences and if you do not watch out, they will gladly spend hours informing you of the many traits of particular rocks and how they compare to each other. Luckily they tend to spend most of the time talking to each other. They joined us in the hope of finding adamantite and other precious ores, though I suspect this is merely an excuse for them to spend as much time possible shaping the earth.

Stukos wanted to us The Great Outdoors, Stukos is a bit of an odd dwarf, he will often tell you that no engraving could compare to the splendor of the open sky and prefers to spend every moment of the day outdoors. This had almost gotten him in trouble in the Mountainhomes, until the other dwarves found out just how much the elves loathed him, for all the trees he felled and plants he ripped from the earth. He does great and admirable work, still it is hard not to feel like one is sitting next to insane dwarf when he starts talking about the wonders of the outdoors.

Azazella had fashioned many names for us, each and everyone a horrible abomination that would not only put the fear in our enemies, but also make the dwarves living there soil their pants. She is a carpenter and woodworker, though she doesn't seem to like the job much, she spends most of here time daydreaming. Though any dwarf will only ask once what it is she is imagining and will spend the next night shivering in fear. The worst is that she might be the most beautiful woman I have ever laid my eyes upon.

Risen had no ideas nor did he talk much during the travel, he seems content to simply listen while carving intricate shapes in any pebbles he might find. He is however a proficient mason and stone crafter and the only one able to spend much time with the stone twins without wanting to bash their heads in with one of their precious rocks. He is hard to figure out, but he is a hard worker and my mother always told me that while trees sing in the wind, stones remain silent.

Kikrost wanted to name our group the drunken bastards, he is somewhat of a drunk, but quite funny and charming in his way, his specialty lies in growing plants and then brewing them in drink or cooking them in meals. He is quite a pleasant dwarf to be around with, quick with a joke or story and it certainly doesn't hurt that he always has a flask of booze or sack of snacks on him.

Seeing how this is the official overseers journal, I should probably record some information about myself as well. My name is Deus Mortus and I am the son of a miner and a metal crafter. I have come here to create the greatest fortress the world has ever seen, towering spires of obsidian, grand statues and temples to the gods will rise here in a splendor never seen before, or at least, that is the plan.

My first order upon arrival is to dig a small entrance in the far eastern corner of the mountain, the stone there glinted with native gold and it seemed as good a place as any. I have also ordered Stukos to start gathering plants and wood, everyone else including myself has been ordered to haul all our goods to our new home.

Alright, so I have embarked and started digging, besides Azazella and Deus Mortus, none of the names have been claimed, so feel free to ask. The embark is maximum size and rather bigger then I expected, however I am receiving the components to upgrade my box today, so that should work itself out.