Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What do you want implemented to make fortress mode more difficult  (Read 6616 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile

I'm fishing for ideas. Anything welcome no matter how ridiculous/cliche/overdone. As a rule of thumb, the more elaborate your idea description is, the better.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
Re: What do you want implemented to make fortress mode more difficult
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 12:25:15 am »

More realistic traps. All traps should be 2 tiles big: A trigger tile (pressure plate, trip-wire, whatever), the trigger's mechanism, another mechanism to run the trap itself, and the actual trap. Plus an axle or other connecting medium if the trigger tile & trap tile are not adjacent to each other. Also, the mechanisms must be made of metal, not stone. As a further nerf, cage traps should be escapable: Every X period of time, the victim has a chance to break out--its Analytical attribute is 3 times as important as its Strength--and allies of the victim (as long as they are not in combat) can attempt to free their friend . . . and opening the cage from the outside is a lot easier than from the inside.

Also: Brewing booze should require, y'know, some WATER. It's a shame Toady didn't implement hydraulics for liquor, I could embark in a desert and create a manmade lake of pure wine. Let's see what kind of carp swim in THAT.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 12:40:30 am »

Goblin miners and engineers who can dig through natural stone/constructed walls respectively
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Mercur1c

• Bay Watcher
  • Chlorid3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 02:37:06 am »

Fog of war, but the dwarves would have a decent view, and there would be a path to the edge of the map, where the wagon went.

Goblin miners and engineers who can dig through natural stone/constructed walls respectively
That would be good, but their should be a way to fill them in with the stones they left behind.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 02:43:19 am »

Have giants/cyclopses come decked out in heavy iron/bronze armor and give them hugeass axes and mauls. Also make renegade demons attack in dwarf mode (they are, by far, the strongest enemies in the game).

And bring back the evil human entities from 31.03 (but this time actually hostile to dwarves)
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 02:58:38 am »

Tool decay. The better quality and better metal your picks, axes and military gear is, the longer they'll last, but neglecting to maintain them can lead to xbronze chainmailx and xxbronze chainmailxx sooner than later. Weapons would get small amounts of damage during fights unless an artifact, as well as armor and shields when deflecting hits.

Also, tools for jobs. For example, a chef can't cook without knives and a pot, some variety to what to cook too rather than 3 options that just affect how many pieces of food goes into making. Like, making a big meal would require charcoal to fire up an oven and so on.

Are you asking just for the hell of it or for trying to come up with ideas to mod within the current limits of the game?

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 03:03:56 am »

Fortress mode is difficult enough as it is, thanks.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 03:53:59 am »

Tool decay. The better quality and better metal your picks, axes and military gear is, the longer they'll last, but neglecting to maintain them can lead to xbronze chainmailx and xxbronze chainmailxx sooner than later. Weapons would get small amounts of damage during fights unless an artifact, as well as armor and shields when deflecting hits.

Also, tools for jobs. For example, a chef can't cook without knives and a pot, some variety to what to cook too rather than 3 options that just affect how many pieces of food goes into making. Like, making a big meal would require charcoal to fire up an oven and so on.

Are you asking just for the hell of it or for trying to come up with ideas to mod within the current limits of the game?

Perhaps a chef could still cook without tools but the end product would be terrible and give a bad thought. It would be cool to have to constantly re-equip an army by melting down the broken gear and remaking it.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 04:16:59 am »

Also: Brewing booze should require, y'know, some WATER.
Some booze are squeeze directly from the fruits/plants/whatever but I get the idea. Would be quite interesting embarking on deserts with such setting.

Have giants/cyclopses come decked out in heavy iron/bronze armor and give them hugeass axes and mauls.
Fortress defense mod has this. See if it's to your liking.

Also make renegade demons attack in dwarf mode (they are, by far, the strongest enemies in the game).
I MIGHT be able to pull this off. I will answer on this later.

I'm fishing for ideas to mod right now as well as to put to my back when new modding capabilities are added. While your ideas are all good, only one can be simulated right now: Tools can be made to have a set chance of being destroyed during reactions.

It would be cool to have to constantly re-equip an army by melting down the broken gear and remaking it.
Or the soldiers have to spend money to maintain their combat effectiveness like say, buy more bolts.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 05:59:32 am »

In my opinion it would make more sense for the fortress to bear the financial burden of re-equipping soldiers, rather than the soldiers.
They are, after all, drafted.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 08:45:46 am »

Isn't there a tag that marks the clothing into one that can rot? SOFT or whatever?
Would it be possible to add that to all military gear or would that result in some stupid wankery like every piece of armor disappearing from forge buildlists?

As far as I know though, it would make military gear able to wear out.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 09:14:36 am »

Isn't there a tag that marks the clothing into one that can rot? SOFT or whatever?
Would it be possible to add that to all military gear or would that result in some stupid wankery like every piece of armor disappearing from forge buildlists?

As far as I know though, it would make military gear able to wear out.
what can be worn as clothes can rot. What can be worn as clothes can be claimed. In my opinion, I'd take non-rotting gears over a fort littered with claimed socks. And that's exactly what I modded.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 09:59:35 am »

An actual, functioning economy. Whilst it may not sound hard, think about what will happen if you simply flood the market with 100 *Spider silk socks*. Bam, demand for socks dies and you have to adapt or suffer the consequences of nobody wanting to come to your fort.

EDIT: Although, I think building your fort for the soul purpose of buying and trading goods would be awesome. No real production, just purchasing things at a low price, waiting for a high one and then an instant profit. Massive trade hub cities.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 10:04:15 am by jamesadelong »
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 10:39:33 am »

The serfs gain literacy *eyes shifts to laboring peaseants* GET THE F*CK BACK TO WORK.
Actual ideas
Animal training has a "quality", poorlytrained animals can go feral and will have to be recaptured.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 10:55:27 am »

Above ground fort without traps.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4