Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: LambdaRogue: The Book of Stars, now massively updated  (Read 4849 times)

mariodonick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LambdaRogue: The Book of Stars, now massively updated
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 12:30:17 pm »

The LambdaRogue 1.6.1 manual is available now:

http://lambdarogue.net/guide.html

This manual is basically a starting help for new players, but even if you've played LambdaRogue before, it might be helpful to read through it once. If you find errors or mistakes (also regarding language), please report.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 02:51:28 pm »

Wow, this game seems pretty ridiculously hard. I'm not very good at roguelikes, but this is something else. How do you even start? The catacombs are easy enough, but there's not much food or money, and healing is expensive. The sewers I barely touched before getting slaughtered by the librarian.
Also, does trade actually do anything? I didn't see any difference in prices raising it from 1 to 3.

Edit: And wait, no PP recovery at all? How are casters supposed to operate if you can only recover PP with potions?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 04:46:04 pm by Vanigo »

mariodonick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 06:53:26 pm »

Interesting remark regarding the difficulty. Most players I heard of find the game (nearly too) easy, because with the right start you can hack rather easily through the enemies, and also there's enough supply of food, potions, etc.

there's not much food or money, and healing is expensive

Sell items you don't need. Also, you get money from slaying monsters. Buy Aspirin and food from traders. If you are enchanter and able to cast fire magic, cast the fire spell on corpses.

Also, does trade actually do anything? I didn't see any difference in prices raising it from 1 to 3.

It does. Prices get lower (a little, but this can make a difference in some situations).

How are casters supposed to operate if you can only recover PP with potions?

Buy these potions ;) Five or six Colas should be enough for the beginning.

Sit on stools to recover PP.

Level up quickly to get PP healed.

Select a god whose Divine Rage recovers PP.

And: If the Librarian is too hard to kill at the moment, why don't you first do something different? :) Have you done the quests?

Also, how's your initial skill point distribution?

Omegameep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 09:37:18 pm »

What the best build for a melee focus character? every time I go into the catacomb the cave worms and ants seems to keep killing me with 10 Dmg every turn.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 10:02:23 pm »

Interesting remark regarding the difficulty. Most players I heard of find the game (nearly too) easy, because with the right start you can hack rather easily through the enemies, and also there's enough supply of food, potions, etc.
Ah, yes. Didn't realize you got 20 aspirin in a pack. That's pretty ridiculous; it's quite a lot cheaper than the hospital. Incidentally, it should really show how many of an item you get before you buy.
I'm using the default soldier, mostly.

mariodonick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2011, 03:58:07 am »

What the best build for a melee focus character? every time I go into the catacomb the cave worms and ants seems to keep killing me with 10 Dmg every turn.

Profession: Soldier.
God: Ares. (But does not allow you to killl caveworms, because of their order's codex)

Train the Fight skill.

Use Swords, Axes, or Lances. In the beginning, decide for a weapon type, and train the respective skill.

But put not all skill points into Fight and your weapon, but also into Move, to evade attacks.

And get some armour.

mariodonick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2011, 04:27:03 am »

That's pretty ridiculous; it's quite a lot cheaper than the hospital. Incidentally, it should really show how many of an item you get before you buy.

Yes, hospital is more expensive, that's true. I think the last time I thought about this was ... 2008? Thanks for reminding me -- I should check not only the hospital prices, but also the restaurant prices (compared to other food).

Also, you're right regarding the number of items in a package. Will be included in 1.6.2.

I'm using the default soldier, mostly.

You mean quickstart mode, or normal mode?

mariodonick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2011, 03:24:28 pm »

Not much time, because I'll be on vacation until January 2nd, but I somehow managed to finish the christmas special: LambdaRogue 1.6.1-X.

Download (.zip archive for Windows/Linux/MacOS):

http://code.google.com/p/lambdarogue/downloads/detail?name=LambdaRogue_Patch_1.6.1-X__all_systems.zip&can=2&q=

You may either download this patch, or wait for the next real update (1.6.2) in January, if you're not interested in the christmas quest.

Excerpt from the readme:

This is a very small update which includes mainly the following features:

INTERFACE: Text-mode does not crash anymore when trying to start the game on a  terminal with less than 80x25 characters. Instead, a message is shown, asking the user to resize the window and starting again.

BUG FIXES: Melee weapons with force effect now work correctly. Game over music plays correctly.

A SMALL SPECIAL QUEST which will be removed in 1.6.2: As every cycle, people in Herbstwelt are looking forward to Dionysa's cele  brations. The children are esp. happy, because Santa -- one of Dionysa's messengers -- always has some gifts for them. But this year, the celebrations are in danger: The Insulting Krice has hidden Santa's gear in his hideout. Will you be able to regain the complete set, therefore saving the celebrations? Talk to Santa (who's waiting in the Catacombs of Enoa) to start the quest. And get a spade. --> Really, this quest is just a little joke

SAVE GAME COMPATIBILITY WARNING:

Even if this is just a small update, savegames of 1.6.1 are NOT compatible with 1.6.1-X. This is due to the whole save system being a mess -- I will probably rewrite it entirely for update 1.6.2 or 1.6.3.

If you have a promising character in 1.6.1, first finish that game before installing the patch.
Pages: 1 [2]