Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Titan Counterparts/Celestial Beings  (Read 1009 times)

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
Titan Counterparts/Celestial Beings
« on: December 18, 2011, 04:37:24 am »

I think what the game needs is some powerful spirits called ancients. They are procedually generated at worldgen and then have the ability to take hold of civilizations. Since they CAN be associated with nature too, they should be able to get the elves too. These beings would demand much more complicated orders of food or sacrifice, but in return would grant you extremely high crop yield, or better smithing rates, faster dwarves, or an ironskin on every warrior. But to spice things up the world should be genned 20 years before 0, a time where they gain grudges and friendships, which will later on be part of their mythology and will affect decisions of mandates.

In a manner like:
"During the ether, YOU stole MY ambrosia, therefore I release FUN on you and your puny CIV"

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Titan Counterparts/Celestial Beings
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 05:39:17 am »

I don't think this would be a nice addition to fortress mode but it would look nice in adventure and legends.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 05:48:54 am »

As i understand it, Demons are the counterparts to Titans.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 05:51:46 am »

The point is, I want to see a challenging situation which does not result in necessary battle. I see there is many factors working against players and civs, so it would be interesting to see some more chaos factors which could aid you greatly.

I think when a demon becomes a deity or lawmaker, it should aid the civilization in some way too, as I believe that they wouldn't start to worship the being unless they wanted some gain from it. Demons, and fiends, always propose fortune and honour in exchange for souls. So perhaps a demon should boost different tasks or skills, in turn changing society to be more brutal
Edit:
As i understand it, Demons are the counterparts to Titans.
Yes, but demons are necessarily evil. I want beings that can squash you, but decide to humor you instead, because it is their duty.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 02:35:12 am »

Demons, and fiends, always propose fortune and honour in exchange for souls. So perhaps a demon should boost different tasks or skills, in turn changing society to be more brutal

Ha. In so much as it effects nonplayer civs, I'd go all in.  However, the civ I'm playing, I don't necessary want a borked AI, stepping in, and messing it up.  That to me, would spell, G-A-M-E-O-V-E-R!

I'm in agreement things need tweaked there, as many people roll with Demons - OFF.  Or at zero, at in adv world generation.  World I'm in now has Demons set to zero.  But I max'd out the Night Creatures in the hopes of seeing one of those.  10000 Night Creatures, think I'll see one?  HA!

As far as adding a driving motivation for sacrifices, it'd be cool if we had the option on slabs.  It'd be nice to have the option, instead of mass pitting to pull out caged critter's still beating hearts.

As for ideology and intervening alignment factors, I am against those on the grounds of them interfering with the player's controlling motivations.  And stereotyping demons and fiends is not something I'd wanna force on Toady.  He has to sleep, too. 

Afterall, an infestation of succubus wouldn't turn a fortress more brutal, it'd turn all the populations activity way down to leisure.

Sincerely,
Knutor
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 02:37:10 am by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 01:11:48 am »

Titans are the manifestations/Avatars of large tracks of land. Their counterparts are "Forces" which are the spiritual (rather then physical) gods of nature.

Celestials could work if they were the manifestation of different planes or stretches of land in the planes. With powers and abilities to reflect this.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 01:47:30 am by Neonivek »

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 03:17:23 am »

People, stop thinking that dwarf fortress is minecraft on drugs. Having even a 90% predictable entity that gives you bonuses even 50% of the time is not at all in the spirit of dwarf fortress. The problem with this game is that, for me, its too easy. I just get bored. Even hfs isnt fun due to the lag-matron it generates. The true fun of the game lies in finding new ways to lose. Thats the fun. As long as you have more bonuses that prolong the short agonizing death of your fortress, you will allways make the game less fun. The only way to truly make it better, is to introduce new hazards that appear. New loop holes will be discovered but that only means that new unpredictable results will appear. The real fun of this game lies in the player trying to controll the uncontrollable.

So please people, stop thinking of ways to make the game less fun.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 07:54:48 am »

Well I want celestials for the sole purpose of having beings being able to change entities laws without being evil about it. I just like to see interesting new cultures unfold. Wouldn't it be awesome to kill a divine unicorn in humanoid form, which helped to teach the humans smith steel?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 01:04:11 pm »

Well I want celestials for the sole purpose of having beings being able to change entities laws without being evil about it. I just like to see interesting new cultures unfold. Wouldn't it be awesome to kill a divine unicorn in humanoid form, which helped to teach the humans smith steel?

Yes, I agree.  It certainly would be fun.  There is the need to pleasure the hack and slash desires of many gamers however, and in so much as that is necessary, it would be difficult to provide so much depth of struggle, in every skirmish, or conflict.  At least, I would think, without not also increasing the meta logic files, which govern the AI.  This it feels to me is already at its maximum.  Once I breech 100 dwarfs, the game bogs down.  If what you suggest, can be done without further blasphemous lag, I'd hoot and hollar, "Eureka, Eureka I love Detoxicated!"  However, as with any other addition, I fear the beast that is lag.

I do like planar entities or beings, poofing in for a surprise visit, when the worship numbers to a statue reach a fever pitch.

Sicnerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.