Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do rivers thaw by season or temperature?  (Read 1467 times)

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do rivers thaw by season or temperature?
« on: December 18, 2011, 01:19:43 am »

First time playing with temp off, to save FPS. Might turn weather off next time, if it's that big of a jump.

Found a nice sheer 9-level waterfall, but the supply side is frozen! Does that thaw with temp off, or not?
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
Re: Do rivers thaw by season or temperature?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 01:24:57 am »

It's definitely by temperature, as different places thaw at different times.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 01:31:11 am »

temp is controlled by biomes which is controlled by which season its in. but you can melt a river by pumping magma under it and make ice traps using the same method. so water melts according the the temp but temp is controlled by the biome and its season.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 03:58:08 am »

temp is controlled by biomes which is controlled by which season its in. but you can melt a river by pumping magma under it and make ice traps using the same method. so water melts according the the temp but temp is controlled by the biome and its season.

Well, that brings up another question, then. Does the ice need temperature to melt (since it's irrelevant now) or is it melted by the adjacent 'warm stone'?
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 04:29:00 am »

Well, that brings up another question, then. Does the ice need temperature to melt (since it's irrelevant now) or is it melted by the adjacent 'warm stone'?

Which brings up the question: how many tiles does heat transfer? Can it transfer from magma to stone to water, or only magma to water (as is the case if there's only a floor tile between em). In other words, does it only effect whats adjacent, or could I mod in a stone which shines so bright the trees at the edge of the map catch fire?

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 04:33:11 am »

Which brings up the question: how many tiles does heat transfer? Can it transfer from magma to stone to water, or only magma to water (as is the case if there's only a floor tile between em). In other words, does it only effect whats adjacent, or could I mod in a stone which shines so bright the trees at the edge of the map catch fire?
You, sir, have just volunteered yourself. Project Dwarven Death Ray is go.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 05:13:31 am »

Theres another thread about freezing rivers, and in it, they say magma will melt ice thru maximum one layer of stone. 

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 07:58:54 am »

if you find magma, only the stone directly next, above or under it is "warm stone".

I've noticed that similar biomes may have different freezing times, sometimes a pool freezes early autumn, late autumn or early winter, even though it is all a temperate conifer forrest (temperature temperate, not biome temperate).
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.