Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs growing attached to something - how to fix it?  (Read 735 times)

PijanySmok

• Bay Watcher
  • For mother Celestia, THIS IS PONYVILLE!
    • View Profile
Dwarfs growing attached to something - how to fix it?
« on: December 17, 2011, 07:06:05 pm »

How to fix my dwarfs attaching to objects? I don't want my dwarfs end up with copper crossbows when I'm making them steel cbs :(
Why my pic doesn't work?

Check me or pm me there if you want something:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmokNiszczyciel

To all ponies: let's take control over the world!

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
Re: Dwarfs growing attached to something - how to fix it?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 07:14:11 pm »

Chop off their hands, so they can't use those unwanted crossbows anymore.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 07:24:35 pm »

1. Steel crossbows aren't inherently better than copper; in fact, most agree that copper is better, due to its higher density making copper crossbows better when used in melee. And it will be when...

2. Don't have them kill anything important with the copper ones.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 07:26:07 pm »

Copper Crossbows are actually pretty good. The material involved in a crossbow is only important when using it to bash, in which case it is much like a hammer in that density is most important. Thus of the material that they can be made from, copper is actually one of the better choices. If however, they are attached to low quality bows then I understand your desire to upgrade.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 07:29:06 pm »

Take them off duty so that they will put down the weapon.  At that point grab it and do one of the following:
- melt it down
- put it in a weapon trap

Forbidding it might work, but the other two are very sure options.  I put weapon trap "displays" behind glass in my museum of named iron and bronze weapons with multiple credited kills.  I then re-armed my legendary fighting dwarves with candy weaponry for increased mayhem.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 07:41:45 pm »

You can't stop them from getting attached, but you can get rid of the items before a name is bestowed upon them. I think that if you specify material in a uniform with 'partial match' on they'll swap out the copper crossbows they're attached to with the steel ones. A little bit of tentative testing suggests that you can mark an item as forbidden or to be melted, then reset the dwarf's uniform (I have one with no items at all that forces them to drop all their items. Do this in a locked room if you have armour and weapon stockpiles), then give them their old uniform. Because the thing they're attached to is no longer a valid option, they'll go after something else. I don't know if attachments are strong enough to make them drop the new item if the restriction on the old one is lifted, but in the case of wooden items you can pause the game before unforbidding them and hauling them off to the depot or the atomsmasher or the magma pit.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

PijanySmok

• Bay Watcher
  • For mother Celestia, THIS IS PONYVILLE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 07:59:11 pm »

Atomsmasher? What's that? xD Sounds nice and I guess it would help me with my fortress overflowing with cages.
Why my pic doesn't work?

Check me or pm me there if you want something:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmokNiszczyciel

To all ponies: let's take control over the world!

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 08:04:11 pm »

Atomsmasher is the name used for a drawbridge. Most anything placed under a raised drawbridge when it is lowered is destroyed. Some large enemies cause the bridge to deconstruct instead of destroying them but an atomsmasher can be used to destroy large amounts of lag inducing stone, or in this case, annoying weapons that some dwarf got attached to.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 12:22:18 am »

I was about to shout magma... but Necro is already here.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.