Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Death of a Salesman  (Read 1190 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Death of a Salesman
« on: December 17, 2011, 12:55:41 pm »

Yawo Caverenelo looked down his nose at the dwarven broker in disdain. Why ? Of the 500 urists of goods, there was the tiny glint of a poor, brutally slaughtered oaken earring!
"One a beautiful tree, and now a bauble fit for only your kind! I shall not trade with your barbarian kin!"
He signaled to his companion,  Lali Thilurini, and they both started to pack their goods.
The dwarf, Thob Kosothkubuk Palacelances smilied eerily.
"Indeed, good elf. It is our grievous mistake, and I assure you you will never see this happen again."

Yawo nodded grimly, still somewhat dizzy from the anger of a tree-corpse lying there. Never mind the fact that the earring was actually elven and were from last year's caravan that fell prey to two packs of dark stranglers.

Thob Kosothkubuk, still with his eerie smile, added:
"Have a nice trip, and do come next year."

Still not noticing anything, the two elves turned their pack horses and headed back out the muddy entrance. They stepped over some useless looking bridges ("Why did they build a bunch of bridges uselessly?" They were even made of MAPLE! The atrocity!) and glanced at a mudstone fortification, which was blocked by a gabbro contraption. A rumbling sound was heard...

and two bridges closed with a final slam.

"By the gods!"

Another grinding was heard, and the gabbro things slid into the ground. Water coursed into the muddy corridor - it was now evident that the muddiness was because of the many uses.
The words of the broker was heard like an echo ... "never see this happen again..."

With one last gasp of water, the two elves died along with their horses.

I use that flooding room both for defense against the Fortress Defense enemies AND to kill all elves that dislike my choice of wooden trades goods.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Death of a Salesman
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 12:58:51 pm »

mmm... needs more magma  ;)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 01:01:58 pm »

mmm... needs more magma  ;)

I lack the dwarviness to actually pump up magma with fireproof pumps ... that water reservoirs almost killed me :P

Also magma is hard to clear out. Maybe I'll build a f the world device for werewolves or something.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 02:46:47 pm »

Lovely lovely water. And magma gets rid of lovely wood :D

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 02:47:18 pm »

Why the fuck can't I understand graphics pack?!  :(

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 02:50:48 pm »

Mother of god, why are you storing all that stuff outside?!

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 04:58:25 pm »

Storytelling: A-.

It was an amusing read, and you got a lot of detail into a small piece without dragging the pace.  A little predictable, but I enjoyed reading it.

Trap Use: C.

It's a fun trap, but uses water instead of magma.  It also appears to spill onto your stockpiles.  That's a little sloppy.  Still, you're using engineering to kill elves, so it's worth doing.

Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 08:04:28 pm »

Trap Use: C.

It's a fun trap, but uses water instead of magma.  It also appears to spill onto your stockpiles.  That's a little sloppy.  Still, you're using engineering to kill elves, so it's worth doing.

Actually, it doesn't spill over. That was when I was careless and opened the waterlocks without draining all of the water first. The reason it uses magma is to be able to (a) quickly re-purpose the hall as a travel-able road and be lethal. If I used magma ... lets just say it would have been not good for the well being of my minions ;)

(2) Also, water is faster... I think. As in, recharge speed, flow speed, and draining speed.

Mother of god, why are you storing all that stuff outside?!

That's my goblin/beakwolf/strangler Christmases' reaping :3

My only regret is that water doesn't cleanse the filth of elven woodstuff :P

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 09:55:45 pm »

there is a much nicer way to do all this you know, and it uses up less FPS to do it. keep the bridges, but instead of a flood get a lot of spike traps on a lever. the dwarven children do so love to pull those levers, giggling as they watch the elves paint the walls red.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 11:03:26 pm »

Well, the elves die well that way, but snatchers and beakwolves are too fast for that.