Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Metal Mechanism Question  (Read 3676 times)

fraxert

• Bay Watcher
  • hey-di-lee hi, and ho-di-lee hok
    • View Profile
A Metal Mechanism Question
« on: December 15, 2011, 09:33:56 pm »

I am still quite unfamiliar with the intricacies of Dwarf Fortress, and I need to ask a question.

One of the ways I create an economy for my forts is buying steel from the merchants, turning it into mechanisms than trading them back for profit.

My question is: when I forge a metal mechanism, does the process use mechanics or metalworking to determine quality?

I cannot test this at the moment because my current fortress is still rather small and I can't devote two dwarves to the test.
"Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason." - StarkRavingMad

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Metal Mechanism Question
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 09:45:10 pm »

Metal mechanisms are created at a Metalsmith's Forge by a dwarf with the "Mechanic" labor enabled, and uses the "Mechanic" skill to determine the quality.

--nomad_delta

fraxert

• Bay Watcher
  • hey-di-lee hi, and ho-di-lee hok
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 09:57:49 pm »

Thanks, Nomad_delta! This will help my dwarves greatly.
"Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason." - StarkRavingMad

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 10:12:39 pm »

I'd suggest using aluminum, platinum, or (if those are unavailable in the quantities you desire) gold, and save the steel for the militia. Those metals also have higher value and, therefore, higher profit margins.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 10:14:19 pm »

Can't mechanisms only be made from weapon-grade metals?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 10:17:02 pm »

Can't mechanisms only be made from weapon-grade metals?

You are correct, weapons-grade only for mechanisms as far as I know.

--nomad_delta

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 10:48:34 pm »

Although you can make mechanisms using a mechanic's shop from native aluminum, platinum or gold.

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 09:06:14 am »

The key is using the ore, not the metal.
Anyway, I remember trying to sell excess mechanisms and failing to find them in the lists. Is selling mechanisms a vanilla feature?
I also failed to find goblets once and threw them into the smelter again.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 09:07:45 am »

I am a pretty conservative trader, will trade a few high cost prepared meals for everything they own that could be useful, including all of their food which inevitably ends up with a net profit of sellable prepared meals of decent value. Perhaps i'm doing it wrong but it does work
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 09:12:20 am »

The key is using the ore, not the metal.
Anyway, I remember trying to sell excess mechanisms and failing to find them in the lists. Is selling mechanisms a vanilla feature?
I also failed to find goblets once and threw them into the smelter again.

Goblets and mugs don't appear in the finished goods trade listings.
To can sell goblets and mechanism, I use the search engine in the trade screen. Simply write "gobl" and every crate containing at least one goblet will appear on the trade screen. Same for mechanisms
A VERY useful feature, although it took me a while to use it.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 01:26:14 pm »

I am a pretty conservative trader, will trade a few high cost prepared meals for everything they own that could be useful, including all of their food which inevitably ends up with a net profit of sellable prepared meals of decent value. Perhaps i'm doing it wrong but it does work
Personally I prefer to use mass amounts of stone crafts. Same effect, but it has the side effect of removing the several thousand extra useless stone that is lying around slowing down the game.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 01:31:14 pm »

Personally I prefer to use mass amounts of stone crafts. Same effect, but it has the side effect of removing the several thousand extra useless stone that is lying around slowing down the game.
I find furniture and statues are nicer + more profit :)

Oh and rock pots. Lotsa rock pots.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 07:41:43 pm »

True, but those clog masonry work shops, that might be necessary for blocks, or other useful crafts.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 08:55:14 pm »

True, but those clog masonry work shops, that might be necessary for blocks, or other useful crafts.

Not if you dig up the massive stockpiles like I do...

And you get more stone, and the circle of life fps death is completed.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 12:49:42 am »

Goblets and mugs don't appear in the finished goods trade listings.
To can sell goblets and mechanism, I use the search engine in the trade screen. Simply write "gobl" and every crate containing at least one goblet will appear on the trade screen. Same for mechanisms
A VERY useful feature, although it took me a while to use it.

I had no idea the trade menu had a search! Is it accessed in the "bring goods to depot" screen?
Pages: [1] 2