Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24

Author Topic: Fortress of Blood-Dungeon Crawl RTD/Turn 6 Dragons Challenge, The Demons Howl  (Read 37932 times)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

*GASP!*

OMG, MAJOR PLOT TWIST!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Rykmar pursed his lips into an unpleasant sneer, as though he'd tasted something bitter. That wasn't far from the truth.

"I... must refuse," he said reluctantly. "While I would love nothing more than to put off our duel to a clash of empires, I will not assassinate one of the Nine. You are on your own for that.

If you have anything else to offer, I would hear it, for I do not relish your interference in this matter. But for my end, I will take your open involvement above another layer of plots."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Rakmiel spreads his hands, palms out. His face betrays a mix of bitter pride.

"A brave decision, brother-a sword through your chest, instead of your back. Were we all 'blessed' with such freedom of choice.

I believe we will end this soon, you and I. Next time we meet, it will be as rivals for the Source.

...You may leave my Domain unopposed-I summoned you here in good faith, and I shall not break that.

Farewell My Brother. I will so miss our conversations."

Rakmiel closes his hands and departs. Rykmar is pulled out of the Nine-Hells...

...and landed back on Earth, where Cria was still busy chattering away.

asked the dark elf why she was pursuing the Source

She has a dreaming look in her eyes...

"The Source? I do not seek the Source, not exactly...I was given a dream, you see-that I would be the one to witness the one who claims it-to spread the legend. You may think me bitter, to be relegated to such a task, but for me the telling will far surpass the rewards..."
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:47:27 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Rykmar let a small sigh escape. His search for aid had produced two enemies instead, much as his quest for favor with the Nine had... complicated the situation. Not that drawing his brother's wrath had done anything but warned him of the game ahead of time; that was a reckoning that could not be put off forever.

For now, he felt genuinely tired of dealing with malignant entities. Some technical discussions of his pet's pet might lighten his mood, and it'd be good to reinforce the bond he already had, rather than fruitlessly chasing new ones.

Spend the rest of the night (when not sleeping) genuinely listening to and conversing with Cria.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Turn up today, I believe. Micelus can still post his official action for the night, otherwise I'll assume it's just to sleep in. :P
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile

"Hm. I should probably brew those healing potions, before the herbs go off and wither.."
Ochita sets up his equipment for alchemy, something that he hadn't had that much experence with. He opens his book, and starts a fire over a small apparatus.

Brew healing herbs into potions.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Goseki smelt the acrid stench of distilling herbs drifting across the camp and nearly brought up her dinner. She decided to investigate.

Politely inquire what is Ochita making and if I can offer any help.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile

"Hm? Ah, I don't believe that we have met before. I'm Ochita, the scholar. And if you want to help, you would either need some alchemy experience, or something like that. Have you got any experience with healing potions? If so, I would gladly accept your help, as well as giving you a potion as thanks."

Accept the help if she can help, otherwise, politely decline.
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

"Ooh, I've been making potions for healing for more than sixty years! I'm particularly good at making them taste nice and smell better... or perhaps it's just my tongue that can't tell any longer... Anyway. From what I can smell of that though, I'd rather bleed to death than drink one of those! It smells of trollcheese! Here, try putting some of this in..."

Offer a few pinches of my powerful rice-spices in the hope of making Ochita's potions taste less awful than it currently smells.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile

"Ah? So you're a wise woman? Well, as you are offering some of your spices, they can be added to your potion, as I have a couple of things to remove taste here, thats how I have my potions. And the smell... Yes. I have a filter, so your nose won't be offended by the smell."

Ochita pulls a funnel from his bag, and attaches it to the apparatus, taking care to not let the leather get burnt.

Decline the spices on my potions, but allow the wise-woman to spice her potion.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress of Blood-Dungeon Crawl RTD/Turn 5 Tension
« Reply #250 on: January 15, 2012, 05:32:07 pm »

Saren Of Tyria/Micelus
Saren places her tent in a ring with the rest of Halbarads group and enjoys dinner with the rest of them, but at a distance-Alithra the Elf seems to be interested though, and Saren is sure she suspect something...later, Saren donates her smoked pork to the camp's soup pot for Dinner, and it enhances the meal quite nicely for all.

Ate: 1xSmoked Pork Ration

After a period of restlessness following her meal, Saren falls into a deep sleep...but with the sleep, comes dreams...

She's hanging over the abyss for dear life, with one hand. She doesn't know anything but that to fall is to die-and worse. There's something down there...and it has many hungry mouths. Something horrible assualts her senses-decay, not of vegtabale matter, but existence itself.

"Saren! Take my hand!" A voice cries. She looks up. It's Hypras, on his stomach, leaning down to lift you up. Normally, she would trust him but...in her hand...is The Source-you can't describe..but it is beautiful, and perfect and yours.

All yours.

She'll have to drop it, or drop herself. Or give it up to Hypras willingly.

Hypras voice is truly pained, and he holds out a clawed hand. "Drop it! You have to drop it! It's not worth your life, Saren!"

Is it? What does she do?

Spoiler: Inventory and Status (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Combat Pet
Summoned Assassin Spider
Mobility: 0
Reflexes: 2
Power: 0
Intelligence: -4

Armor: 1
Magic Resistance: -1

DF: 100% ()()()()()()()()()()
HP: 100% ()()()()()()()()()()

Effects:
Spider Killer/+1 to all stats against arachnid enemies smaller than itself. Causes fear in sentient Arachnids.
Insect Mind/Feels no emotions, and is immune to fear and morale effects.
Blood Cursed/ ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ochita

[Alchemy 3+1+1-1=4
Modifiers: Gosekis Help +1, No distractions +1,  No Tools -1 ]

Used: 3x Laumwort Sprigs
Gained: 1x {Foul Tasting} Healing Potion, 1x Small Healing Potion
Given away: 1x Small Healing Potion

Ochita goes to work stewing up and distliing some delcious Laumwort Sprigs-it's fairly simple, with most of his Herbal books have at least the basic recipe, which calls for at least three hours over a low flame, with certain common cooking reagents added in.

As a certain point, he adds a pinch of salt as per the direc...okay he wasn't supposed to add salt. It was sugar. The acrid smell quickly draws the Old Woman Goseki, who seems to know what you've done. She quickly and politely helps you fix the problem-but, you decline, opting for your own brand of alchemy knowledge-more salt! Needless to say, it turns out...not as you might have desired...but it should still heal your wounds. Might not want to try it on a full stomach, though.

While Ochita also doesn't have any alchemy tools, he manages to find some, doing a few swaps with the other adventurers-Halbarad gives him an few empty clear glass bottles.

"You'll find healing potions keep fresh when exposed to strong sunlight, Sir Ochita-clear glass works the best for storage...I have more supplies and quite a bit of potions aside, but I'm afraid they are very limited. If you want to trade, talk to me in the morning, friend...for now, you must be hungry-dinner awaits. The Old woman has surely worked some magic of the kettle while we were not watching."

Ochita smiles, and nods amiably, leaveing the healing mixture to simmer on his small fire, while he goes to enjoy the meal...it is quite as good as advertised, and he chases it with half of his fruit ration for added flavor. He shares the remnants of the potion with the Old Woman when it is finished-he watches as she adds her own touch. Seems hers turned out better.

Ate:One half of Dried Fruit and Nut Rations/1 Day of Food

After a period of restlessness following his meal, Ochita bottles his potion, and sets up his tent. He tries to sleep...but is restless, and has trouble settling down.

It almost feels as if Elesias Scrying Crystal is calling to him...or it could be nothing. Right?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rhogar/Zako

Spoiler: combat (click to show/hide)

Rhogar is barely on his feet when he the foul, sticky tounge smacks him in the snout. He feels his head snap to one side violently-dizzying him, and causing his hammer to fly from his claws.

As he tries to regain his bearings, the Froghemoths tounge is retracted and snaps forth again, this time aiming low-coiling around his legs, ensnaring him! He bites down panic, calling on his training to stay calm as the tounge begins to constrict retract once more...refusing to die so obnxious a way, Rhogars hands scrabble for his  hammer...and seize it!

Time slows down as he yells an oath to the Kron-tossing him heavy hammer end over end from a sitting position, right in the Froghemoths ugly mug.

It passes clean through the chest and comes out the other side, and he feels the terrible constriction lessen-enough time to pry himself loose, and catch the hammer as it returns to his grip. He brings it down on the beasts head next, but amazingly it lives-and shunts him aside with a massive forearm, scrabbling away and keening.

Rhogar chases after it, but in his armor he is quickly outpaced. Bah! Coward!

Hanging his hammer back on his belt, he realizes he's out in the open-and the exertion of the day is catching up with him..

[4]

He makes his way around the rim of the mountains, out of sight of the Walls of the Fortress-ahh, here's a nice spot!

A sheltered, shallow cave-alongside a stream and small waterfall. Rhogar wonders if this river might lead into the fortress?

But, that is a question for tomorrow. Now, he feasts-singing the old songs, and praising Kron.

Ate: Krons Prime Beef Shanks/One Day of Food, +1 Morale Bonus to all stats for 24 hours
Gained: Well Fed, +1 to all stats for 12 turns

In time, Rhogar falls into a restful slumber...

[3][?]

A few hours later, his senses snap him back awake. It's still dark-a few hours after midnight, by the look of the moons.

Rhogar could swear he heard something out there. He looks into the darkness of the forest, but nothing reveals itself right away. The forest around him is completely silent.

While his hammer is at hand, he took off his armor to sleep. His fire is burned down to ash and glowing embers.

What does he do?

Goseki Sakane/Lawastooshort

[Herb/Supply Gathering  1+1 -2=0
Modifiers: Feleris Help +1, Darkness -2]

Goseki meanders in the forest a bit with Feleris the Elf, helpfully pointing out things and generally acting completely innocent...

But, they don't find much-it seems there is, or was, recent foragers in this area. Goseki finds several lizardlike footprints and the dirt swept in an arc from tiny tails that she is certain are from Kobolds, and points out such to Feleris.

There is at least one lucky find-a large bunch of mature Thunderpods, which the pair splits in two. Goseki has not seen these particular variet in many years, and very vaugely recalls the Mountain Dwarves that lived around her homelands being able to make a potent drink from them...but the exact recipe eludes her for now. She recalls the taste though-non alcoholic, but very sharp, with a nice punch...

Gained:  1xHandful of Thunderpods

A uncommon plant, these small berries seemingly contain a electric current within them. It is thought it may have been a Sylvan attempt to breed a growable weapon in ancient times-they are often used as thrown weapons or in slings by various agrarian cultures and modern Sylvan Elves, and conduct a nasty, yet mostly harmless shock on contact with skin or metal. A handful of them can easily knock a man down for awhile. Metallic armor obviously doesn't offer any resistance. Can be brewed into various drinks that sharpen the mind.

Consumable Thrown Weapon: No damage, Ignores Metallic Armor, 75% chance of stun

Afterwards, she and Feleris head back to camp-and she gets started on dinner, encouraging the adventurers to bring their cold meals together so she can a cookpot for the entire camp. The soup is...quite exquisite, especially with the Silver Leaves. She's a bit dissapointed Tsnua does not join them, instead sticking to the edge of camp in silence.

Ate: 1xSilverleaf/1 Day of food

She also meets, and helps a spellcaster named Ochita simmer some Laumswort-a simple task, but the young man commited the most basic of errors, adding salt instead of sugar...that was why the smell was so bad. Goseki couldn't conceal a wry smile-many of the young alchemists she trained commited the same error. A handful of cinnamon would counter the mistake, as usual-but he declines, and the horrible smell soon pemeates the camp. Goseki shrugs. Very well then...Goseki makes sure her portion gets the correct amount added later.

Gained: +1 Small Healing Potion

At the appointed time, Tsuna and Goseki begin making their nightly rounds, keeping the camp safe..

[5]

Goseki finishes the first round with no problems-though she is somewhat worried to see that Feleris and Halbarad are still in the forest...afterwards, she is laying down to enjoy a small nap when she hears the creak of a softly padded foot outside of her tent. Then silence...

Rykmar/IronyOwl

[3]
Rykmar and Cria wisely skirt Stromgands camp, and make their way to the side of the cliffs, where they find a meager cave. It will provide shelter, and no more-and not much of that, but it's better than sleeping in the open. Rykmar notices something in the very back, which he inspects...it's a metal plate of some sort, built into the wall, but corroded and unreadable by torch light. He suspects he'll be able to see more in the morning.

[2]
For whatever reason, nothing bothers them that night. The Ash Shadow dutifully maintains patrol at the mouth of the cave all night, never wearying nor complaining-as it would continue to do so, for a thousand thousand years. The undead are quite useful in that regard. Rykmar also knows most animals are afraid of the undead-and an invisible undead that hides itself from normal senses is likely to ward off even the strongest and most hungry of animals...well, natural animals anyway.

The night is spent in relative ease-Rykmar drifts in and out of sleep, and Cria seems to like nothing more than talking with him, no doubt making up for the years of lonilness she endured.. Rykmar finds it easy to listen. Rykmar idly eats his sour meat ration, wishing for fresh blood-and nothing oddly, that Cria doesn't seem to eat anything at all. Maybe he'll have to question her about that later.

Ate: 1xUnknown Meat Ration

Cria speaks honestly, at least, which is more than he can say of many mortals. She is almost like a child in many ways.

"...my work, people have always said how horrible it is...how horrible I am for doing it...but, they are just spare parts after all. Why shouldn't we be able to use them?"

She warms her hands by the fire.

"It's just...everyone is afraid of death, Master...and yet, if has been my only ally and friend for as long as I can remember. The Dead will not harm me with stones or taunts-nor will they betray me, unless I allow them to...more than I can say of the living.

But, I trust you, Master...I hope I can always trust you..."

She trails off, leaving Rykmar to steer the conversation as he will.

Quote from: Combat Pet, Ash Shadow
Mobility: -1
Reflexes: -1
Power: 1
Intelligence: -2

Armor: 2
Magic Resistance: -2
Effects:
Incorporeal/You take half damage from physical sources, but double from magical ones. You cannot pass through walls, but you can squeeze your body past even the tiniest crack.
Invisibilty/You are invisible to the naked eye in any area not under direct light. Cannot go invisible in combat.

Feleris/Tiruin

[Herb/Supply Gathering  4+1 -2=3

Modifiers: Goseki Help +1, Darkness -2

Supplies or food, quality, quantity=3, 6]

Feleris spends some time gathering supplies with the old Woman Goseki-who seems quite a bit more knowledgeable in this matters than her age would suggest.

Goseki points out something Feleris would have surely missed in the dark of night-hidden in the shadow of a fallen log, a bunch of Thunderpods! Feleris gingerly picks the largest ones and places them in a safe pocket, feeling the tingling in his fingers as he does so. He shares the other half with Goseki.

Gained:  1xHandful of Thunderpods

A uncommon plant, these small berries seemingly contain a electric current within them. It is thought it may have been a Sylvan attempt to breed a growable weapon in ancient times-they are often used as thrown weapons or in slings by various agrarian cultures and modern Sylvan Elves, and conduct a nasty, yet mostly harmless shock on contact with skin or metal. A handful of them can easily knock a man down for awhile. Metallic armor obviously doesn't offer any resistance. Can be brewed into various drinks that sharpen the mind.

Consumable Thrown Weapon: No damage, Ignores Metallic Armor, 75% chance of stun

They don't find much else. The Old woman points out several tracks and marks which she says are from Kobolds, which have scavenged this area recently.

Later, Feleris heads back to camp, breaking bread with other adventurers around the stewpot. While the stew is filling, he finally relents and eats half of his waybread

Ate: .5 Waybread Loaf/1 Day of Food, +1 morale bonus to all stats for 12 hours after eaten
Gained:  Strength of the Rangers +1 to all stats for 12 hours.

It will not be a restful night for him, though-he and Halbarad have the first and longest watch...

[6]

Halbarad seems to be alert, yet also in a talkative mood. He speaks about his wife, mostly. Feleris is sad to hear that Halbarad seems to have trouble deciding if he should adress his wife in terms of past or present.

"You would have loved to meet her, Feleris friend..you will meet her, once this is all over. She was smart, had...had a tongue that would scorch the hair off your head, you made her angry...and yet she was...is..is a good person, very passionate. No children for us, though not from lack of trying-I guess that's a relief, in a way...I would never have been able to muster the courage to..."

Feleris sharp ears pick out a sound in the distance-somewhere to the North of them in the forest. He raises his hand to signal quiet from Halbarad.

Both men listen intently...someone is playing a Flute. The sweet melody is...simple, somewhat sad, and very compelling.

Halbarad turns toward Feleris, his voice a bit distracted. It's clear he's straining to listen to the music-even taking a few hesitant steps toward it.

"That's...awfully strange. The only musician in camp is Alithra, and she uses that small guitar. Should we check it out, Feleris? It is beautiful, though....almost like your music was, Feleris."

Feleris feels a pulling as well-something deep in his Sylvan spirit. What will he do?

OOC: Also, for anybody that is wondered about time wonkiness-especially Ironyowl with his bet-every turn can be expected to cover about 2 hours time, with smaller actions being covered in between. Which means 8 turns in a game day, with night and sleeping occurring in between. Point out any mistakes I might have made, naturally. I got lazy and put off the turn so I might have missed something. :X
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 05:36:47 pm by Dwarmin »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 15, 2012, 08:40:18 pm »

"Of course you can," Rykmar said, as warmly and soothingly as he could manage. He was being completely honest, too- for certain definitions of "trust." She was his prized, favored possession, and while that opened her to certain... exploitations, should he get desperate, his preference would always be to have her by his side, happy and unharmed. He'd try his best, if nothing else, which was as much as he could say about nearly anything else. Even his own soul wasn't above wagering, after all.

After a moment's pause, he furrowed his brow a bit. He'd intended to keep her safe and comfortable, but she wasn't eating anything. That was unusual; living things needed sustenance, after all. At least she was keeping warm by the fire... and he supposed mental comfort was more important to her than physical anyway.

"You're also quite right about using spare parts. Others might have some claim to them, of course, but that's not truly why they object. They're simply terrified. They know that if you can make use of the dead, they might well find themselves more useful as a butchered corpse than a living, groveling slave. The disgust, claims of wrongness... some of it has to do with the dead, but much of it is the horror and denial of their own uselessness."

His lips curled into a sinister smile. "Like a fat, useless peasant aboard a sinking ship, rambling on about how it's wrong to value some people over others as soon as the obvious is mentioned. A desperate rat trying to avoid the scales, since it already knows the answer."

Rykmar began chuckling at that. It'd been too long since he could truly make something grovel and bleed. It sounded nice.

"But you know," he said, a bit more somberly, "I notice you haven't eaten. Why is that?" His expression was one of genuine curiosity and a bit of mild concern- perhaps closer to the concern one might feel for noticing that a stack of papers seems out of order than that of a loved one not eating, but concern nonetheless.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 15, 2012, 10:45:11 pm »

Rhogar pulled his shield and helm towards him quietly, placing his helm over his head and grabbing his hammer. He rarely got this watched feeling, and usually it was for a reason when he did get it. He would have to investigate.

Put on shield and helm, grab my hammer, then stir the coals a bit to brighten the area. Hopefully its just a wild animal.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 15, 2012, 10:51:30 pm »

((Knew it would come down to eating that...But what I did not know was that you could break it and ration it.))

Feleris looked at his friend, "I will go ahead, you must stay behind. If anything goes wrong, I have this." He tapped the handle of the Sunrod. "Besides, I'd bet nothing evil could produce such wonderful a melody," he said with a grin.

"We could both go, but that would leave the camp unguarded, and I loathe to see anything happen to our compatriots if we left our posts."

Feleris notched an arrow, took a deep breath and decided to start searching for the source of the music, alone.

"If I don't return by Second Watch-- when the moon shines high, alert the others."

« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 06:31:58 am by Tiruin »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 16, 2012, 05:22:07 am »

Goseki wondered silently for a few seconds, her breath perfectly replicating the rise and fall of a sleeper's breath. When no further sound came, she silently equipped herself and slid out of the tent, stopping briefly by Tsuna's to see if she was asleep, or even present, before making her way to the nearest leafy tree with a view of the camp and quietly climbing up to a good and well-hidden vantage point.

If she spots danger she'll raise the alarm with Tsuna by sounding two calls of the Northern Night Swallow, which she knew was the alarm cry of the Jiang. She was loathe to reveal that she knew this to be so, but it wasn't the greatest secret of the Jiang that she possessed. If it is something that requires more help, she'll raise the camp alarm by throwing the thunderpods at the stewpot (assuming this would make a noise). If it is Tsuna sneaking about, well, she'll just try to stay hidden and observe as best she can. If it is just someone else sneaking, she'll observe and find out who it is, but not interfere.

If she's discovered before getting up the tree - well, old women have weak bladders, my child... And old women ninjas can pee on demand.

Use Goseki's Intuition for the stealth roll.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24