Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 120 Idle Dwarfs! I need a project!  (Read 1848 times)

Armv

• Bay Watcher
  • Factotum Savant
    • View Profile
120 Idle Dwarfs! I need a project!
« on: December 15, 2011, 03:05:58 pm »

I'll make this brief. This is the first fort in years, real time, that I've gotten to the point where it's stable, has every single industry, military conflicts are trivial, and no FPS death (Due to OCD level micro management). As a result... the fort needs some !!FUN!! -- A mega project is needed! Any ideas? Or is it time to visit the circus? There are precisely 127 dwarves that are just... haulers at the moment.

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 120 Idle Dwarfs! I need a project!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 03:10:23 pm »

Colonize below the Adamantine and build a giant glass tower in there.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 03:23:20 pm »

Indeed, a hfs colony is the quickest way for !FUN!

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 03:34:55 pm »

Major smelting/forging operation. 120 steel-clad dwarves to colonize and defend an hfs fortress.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 04:00:13 pm »

Build the fort of your imagination above ground, including turrets, dungeons, throne room etc, instead of an efficiency orriented fort, with a movie-type mine, complete with supports, flickering torches (are there any), mine carts and rails (there aren't).

Then build a temple to Armok where goblins are pitted into magma and a temple to urist where elves are smashed into nothingness. Make sure you make enemies with every single civ except the dwarven one

Make extras of the best armor and weapon and... everything. Keep it in a special stockpile, and never use/sell it, for future adventurers. Thats right, wanna take a break from fortress mode, explore the world including your fort as adventurer

On that point, there is nothing shameful about getting a fort to top efficiency, with amazing products, and take off to a new one when you want a new challenge. In the end your land will be dotted with your forts and when you go around in adventure mode you'll have lots of entrances to the underground areas, good steel or other armor and weapons strewn around ( I never saw MW items in adventure mode so far)

If "know all legends" is off in worldgen, you can have great fun having your adventurer explore the happenings in your fort(s) and the world

and its a way to make more forts and spread the influence of dwarfdom around the whole world!
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 04:19:30 pm »

I never consider a fortress complete until I have conquered the Basement or died trying.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 04:25:47 pm »

build this

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 04:27:55 pm »

Broken pic.

Just cover the whole undergound and above-ground with Platinum bridges, connect all of those bridges to a single lever then pull the lever.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 05:26:47 am by peskyninja »
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 04:29:12 pm »

You have my permission to go ahead and build a massive, shining monument to me. Just like you've always wanted.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 09:52:37 pm by King DZA »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 04:50:41 pm »

Build a giant tower that requires invaders or caravans to spend the most possible time getting to your fortress.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 05:09:24 pm »

My favorite project: Built a hammer that is at least 40 urists tall, make the handle of either wood or steel,then make the head out of silver.

Build the hammer at a light angle, and design it so that if it falls, it falls right onto the trade depot.

Build the lever that causes the hammer to come down right next to the trade depot.

Inform all caravans that the prices for your goods have gone up.

DARE THEM TO QUESTION YOU!
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 06:21:40 pm »

Build a maze.

Sounds easy? It isn't. Dwarves know the pathway out of the maze instinctly ... the only way to confuse them and keep them inside... is to make an automated and continually changing and HUGE maze. Disappearing floors and walls, opening and closing grates, traps, unleashed monsters, trap doors into water (drowning dwarves will prefer to path into a dead end than stay and die I think) ... this sort of thing would be very complex and take a long time to make. I might not employ all 120 of them but it will sure keep YOU busy!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 06:55:46 pm »

DeathMaze?

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 07:22:44 pm »

Build a giant dwarven hookah that spews magma.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 08:16:40 pm »

Mine the entire world.
Pages: [1] 2