Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves on Hunger Strike  (Read 1066 times)

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves on Hunger Strike
« on: December 15, 2011, 01:14:18 pm »

Ive been playing this fort, and Im about 2 years in. Suddenly all the dwarves in my well/meeting room (I think they are attending a party) decide that they are not going to leave the room or go for more food, and they just stand around complaining of hunger, occasionally going off to hunt vermin.
Ive checked my stocks, I have loads of food that they can path to. ive tried putting a food stockpile in the well room, and deleting other food stockpiles but none of the other dwarves will take the food down there.
Also Ive noticed that there is wood lying around in other parts of the fortress, the woodcutter will chop down trees but its like they wont put anything in a stockpile.
Ive checked the standing orders, to see if it was a problem with that, but they havent been changed since I started the game.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Is it a known bug? I dont want to have to abandon. Please help!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Dwarves on Hunger Strike
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 01:27:58 pm »

Are your Dwarves burrowed?

Is your food forbidden?

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 03:16:25 pm »

Nope and Nope.
Nothing is forbidden, and I checked burrows. I even created a new burrow in a different section of my fort and added the dwarves to it, but they still stay in the same place.

The only thing Ive done different just before they stopped moving/eating is I dug a big shaft from my drawbridge down to the meeting hall. I wanted falling goblins to land in a viewing area for the entertainment of my dwarves. This didnt interfere with the steps that already led to the meeting hall, they can still get in and out.
Occasionally the dwarves will run off to hunt vermin, and they just walk to the bottom of the shaft and stand there. This let me to believe that digging a hole to the outside somehow messed up the pathing for the dwarves. I tried walling off the shaft but still no change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 03:23:57 pm »

Your burrows need to be over your food stockpiles, if they aren't already.

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 03:26:07 pm »

Yep, they were. But I tried adding dwarves to it, then removing them from all burrows, still they never move.
Im beginning to think its just some kind of mysterious bone-idle disease that has infected all dawrves that dared to mine this haunted soil...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 03:31:53 pm »

what food do you have? some food needs to be cooked first, like eggs
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 03:32:39 pm »

what food do you have? some food needs to be cooked first, like eggs

^

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 03:42:31 pm »

I have lots of prepared food and cheese that I bought from a recent caravan so they should be able to eat some of it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 03:46:16 pm »

Are you sure they can path to your food stockpiles?  Really, really sure?  You didn't accidentally screw up a ramp, delete a staircase, or lock a door somewhere between where they are and where the food is?  It's easy to do by accident when digging a pit - check to see if you accidentally turned any up/down stairs into only down stairs when designating ramps to be removed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 03:52:53 pm »

Honestly Ive checked and double checked. The pit is on the opposite side of the room to my staircase, and I havent changed that staircase in and way since it was dug.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 03:53:45 pm »

Can you upload a save somewhere, so we can see if this is an actual bug?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 04:04:44 pm »

yep, do I just need to upload the region folder? Its probably something stupid Ive overlooked, but I just cant work it out.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 04:13:07 pm »

Yeah, put the region folder in a zip file and upload it to dffd or somewhere similar.

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 04:19:26 pm »

hope .rar is OK, otherwise Ill reupload it.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/qc92xqa0typskzq/region3.rar

hey, I really appreciate you trying to help me out.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 04:30:54 pm »

Forbid and unforbid all food, it usually works for me.

edit: Try creating a squad and send them to the stockpile to check the pathing.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 04:34:24 pm by peskyninja »
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.
Pages: [1] 2