Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Traps are op as hell  (Read 6314 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Traps are op as hell
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 01:49:08 pm »

For me, I can't live without traps, just 'cos I refuse to dig down. Bloody Buzzards...

But yeah, traps are OP if you can use them well. But so are Dwarves, so go figure :P

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 04:23:00 pm »

As per the other suggestions in this thread, I would recommend the Fortress defence mod counter to the suggestion that you abandon or limit the number of traps you should make. This way, it allows you to make as many traps as you like, the races that aren't trap-avoidant will come in such numbers, both in the sense of the race sending multiple squads of troopers as well as other races sending their own squads in conjunction.
And then there those trapavoiding races that you'll need to take care of by hand.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 04:42:15 pm »

As others have probably said, being a sandbox game, DF isn't just about difficulty, it's about giving you the tools to make whatever kind of game you want.

Some people want mind-blowingly difficult challenges, some want to construct immense megaprojects, and others want to have complete and unchallenged power over everything. It's all a matter of preference.
I do little things like only constructing using blocks, only building farms on furrowed dirt, and trying to convince my dwarves cannibalism is acceptable not because I have to, but because I feel it adds more to the game.

So decide which kind of game you want DF to be, and make it happen.

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 06:31:22 pm »

when I get around to adding traps to my fortress, I only use upright spear/spike traps along a dodge-me trap and at the base of said trap.  The manual input makes it feel less broken.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 06:41:30 pm »

But yeah, traps are OP if you can use them well. But so are Dwarves, so go figure :P
What if we modded the game to play as cutebolds?  Challenge achieved?
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 07:26:06 pm »

What if we modded the game to play as cutebolds?  Challenge achieved?
*taps shoulder*  :D

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 07:30:54 pm »

Noooooooo, don't remove traps! IF you think they're OP, don't use them! There's no reason people who want to use them shouldn't be able, after all it's not like it's multiplayer!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 07:39:49 pm »

Noooooooo, don't remove traps! IF you think they're OP, don't use them! There's no reason people who want to use them shouldn't be able, after all it's not like it's multiplayer!
We'll still have the glorious blood of the world to make traps with.

Never again shall we be alone

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2011, 08:12:23 pm »

If traps get nerfed then I hope military gets further tweaked to compensate.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2011, 08:24:32 pm »

Giving goblins the [NO_FEAR] tag is one of the things I do on all my forts. That being said, do a dodge trap with traps only on that section then leave the bypass open. Congrats, you can enjoy no traps and if things get hairy your a lever pull away from partial safety. Also, give fortress defense and other mods a try if you want a harder game.

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2011, 08:45:53 pm »

I like traps as they are. I had a hydra show up, and instead of taking it out with my super soldiers, I caught it and put it on display. Seeing them throw a party at a caged hydra was super cool.

I see many players post things of this general nature. Either "the game seems easy now" or "what do I do now that I have figured out X."

If you were playing the game for its difficult reputation, I would say you've figured it out well enough to survive and can move on. Try chess. It will take you a lifetime to master.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2011, 09:46:48 pm »

do you think trap-avoid is also overpowered? on one side are overpowered traps trapping all creatures, the other side are overoverpowered trap-avoid creatures immune to all overpowered traps.
can we do better in the details of trapping and observing, as detailed as tissue and material based combat system?

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2011, 10:15:57 pm »

While I support the "if you think traps are overpowered then don't use them" camp, I also have to agree that yes, they indubitably ARE overpowered. My little settlement was attacked by a Minotaur who easily took out my 20 Novice Wrestler/Kickers. Reload, try again, everybody stay behind the curtain wall this time--the Minotaur bashes my locked door down (from 2 tiles away, no less) and immediately gets snapped up by a cage trap. Now, I don't mind that he fell victim to it, because minotaurs are supposed to be stupid, but the idea that a wooden cage can indefinitely contain a creature capable of punching through a stone door is more than a little silly.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 10:23:05 pm »

do you think trap-avoid is also overpowered? on one side are overpowered traps trapping all creatures, the other side are overoverpowered trap-avoid creatures immune to all overpowered traps.
can we do better in the details of trapping and observing, as detailed as tissue and material based combat system?
Trap avoid is not overpowered. See ThatAussieGuy's checkerboard  :P

Ravenplucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2011, 04:32:20 am »

My version of weapon traps are dozens of migrants with spears and wooden shields.  :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3