Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suggestion on reaching 5000 urists in roads?  (Read 1719 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suggestion on reaching 5000 urists in roads?
« on: December 15, 2011, 02:22:14 am »

To meet the capital requirement? I built roads where they logically would go, and have bridges, but I'm still far short of the value

Irenices

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion on reaching 5000 urists in roads?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 02:26:06 am »

I built mine out of gold bars, took maybe 5 or 6 3x10 roads i think.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 03:10:54 am »

A kingly road would not be made of mere gold. There are lighter, stronger, and more beautiful materials in the deeps.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 04:22:32 am »

I pave over some of the main hallways in the fortress using gold or possibly obsidian.

Yeah, if all you build are external roads, you won't have much value.  Especially if you used cheap stone (at _least_ use stone blocks!).

You can also build roads to random edges of the map, as though there was supposed to be something out there.  Sometimes, I build underground roads to random map edges and make airlock type things for migrants to visit or ways to let invasion-panicked wanderers run back into the fortress that can be sealed off most of the time.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 04:48:11 am »

You could just clear out a whole room in rock and put roads there. It doesn't matter at all where the roads are, just that they are somewhere.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 06:32:07 am »

Building roads in main hallways is one way to do this. It also looks quite nice.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 07:03:25 am »

As a megaproject, build a giant tower and place roads on every floor tile that you're not gonna occupy with something else.

For bonus points, don't actually build a tower, instead dig one, literally carving out the surrounding z-levels. Sorta like making a sculpture out of a giant stone block, except the stone block contains insane bearded alcoholics.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 08:49:27 am »

For bonus points, don't actually build a tower, instead dig one, literally carving out the surrounding z-levels. Sorta like making a sculpture out of a giant stone block, except the stone block contains insane bearded alcoholics.

How is this different from all of my forts??  :-\

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 08:55:04 am »

Like others have said, using blocks made of more expensive items helps, but the dwarf in question is also important as a masterfully designed and constructed road made out of cheap rock is going to match or even exceed a no quality road made of a more expensive stone.

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 09:06:25 am »

Quality matters in roads, then?  Color me surprised!

I was just going to say that I like stoneware bricks and have stoneware brick roads.  Just two roads connecting the entrance to the edges of the (rather small) embark is more than enough.

Obviously this requires fire clay and either plenty of fuel or magma.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 09:15:23 am »

Yeah, the skill of the architect makes a difference to quality.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 12:30:28 pm »

A kingly road would not be made of mere gold. There are lighter, stronger, and more beautiful materials in the deeps.

This. Use the light cyan wafers. It's not a waste, because you can deconstruct the road to get the wafers back and by then you will already have been made capital. Also, dwarfs love to walk over it, so put it in the busiest part of your fort.

'Realistically' placed roads will rape your defense strategies.  The other option for roads, though, is to use them to paint mosaics. The ANSI colours Dwarf Fortress uses allows you to paint pixel perfect NES sprites, although lamentably dark black is not available. Roads are useful for this because they use up less material than constructed floor tiles.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 02:39:01 pm »

Making a legendary architect for your roads, bridges, and wells takes a while.  The hardest part is actually designating the things to be built.

Bridges seem to provide the most experience, but you then end up with your masons or carpenters going out to finish them afters the architect designs them.  Supports provide less experience, but are finished by the architect.  I have no idea how much experience roads provide.

For bridges and roads, make them 1x1.  I usually designate a 10x10 square full of bridges and then deconstruct them when finished.  It takes five to seven rounds of this to reach base legendary, if I remember right.  Though you should continue on past that.

The easiest way would be to lock the architect in a large room with lots of food, water, and 100 stones.  And a bed and decorations to keep him happy.  This prevents the bridges from being finished if you don't make the architect a mason.  This should also prevent problems with making a macro of the designation process.  This way you don't end up with your architect going all the way across the map to get a stone.  When the bridges are done being designed cancel them.  Then activate the macro to repeat the process.  Though you may get the occasional "object blocking site" message on the later repeats, since the stone is now randomly dropped int he construction site.

Note that a masterwork-designed well made out of as many artifacts as possible produces a LOT of value.  Also, make sure the mason that builds it is also high legendary.  The construction quality of the mason also works on roads, bridges, and wells.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 07:50:02 pm »

Floor your gulag with rose gold! =D

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 12:33:40 am »

How is this different from all of my forts??  :-\

For reference, here's a regular tower:

Are you saying your forts are usually:

, leaving only the standing tower of dirt and rock?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.
Pages: [1] 2