Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I Love sub-forums  (Read 1985 times)

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
I Love sub-forums
« on: December 14, 2011, 09:58:32 pm »

I don't want to sound like a troll but I love it when sub-forums are used to correctly. Unfortunately I'm so tired of seeing people use the Dwarf Mode section to ask problems when we have an entirely different sub-forum made for that. No, you shouldn't feel embarrassed to use the Help Section, no matter how long you have been playing DF. Using this Sub-Forum doesn't make you any cooler or any less of a n00b. Hell, using the Help Section or the Modding Section, or the Adventure Section to ask for help doesn't make you a n00b.
There is nothing embarrassing about asking for help in a game like DF, except for using the wrong forum! End Rant.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: I Love sub-forums
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 10:23:41 pm »

For someone who loves correct usage of the various forum boards, this topic of yours has strangely little to do with Fortress Mode.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 10:30:34 pm »

You should start a blog. Then post that there.   :)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 10:33:55 pm »

God forbid that I should ever be deemed a n00b by darkninja1213.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 10:47:28 pm »

Yeah, I hate my name :/ I really wish I could change it without starting a new account.  God, I just realized what a hypocrite I was by posting here. *Grabs M9 from safe and points it at head*
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 10:53:52 pm »

I suppose using a form specifically for help would seem like a good idea if you needed help. On the other hand I very rarely check the help forum. People who do need help might not get it very often there. The fortress forum however, is full of smart people.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 11:17:26 pm »

Honestly when I've used the help forum, I get help very quickly.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 11:23:10 pm »

Yeah, I hate my name :/ I really wish I could change it without starting a new account.
You can ask Toady. I know of at least 2 people who have had name changes (Janet and Barbarossa TSG).
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 11:26:26 pm »

Yeah, I hate my name :/ I really wish I could change it without starting a new account.
You can ask Toady. I know of at least 2 people who have had name changes (Janet and Barbarossa TSG).
Really? So do I just send him a PM? I created this stupid name when I was 13 but I've hated it for awhile and only recently thought of something original.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 11:34:45 pm »

I haven't tried it myself, and I can't remember what they both said, but I'm 75% sure that yes, that's all you have to do.

And besides, he's pretty reasonable most of the time, so a PM shouldn't make him ban you or anything like that. ;)
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 11:45:57 pm »

I haven't tried it myself, and I can't remember what they both said, but I'm 75% sure that yes, that's all you have to do.

And besides, he's pretty reasonable most of the time, so a PM shouldn't make him ban you or anything like that. ;)
You have just given the best Christmas present ever! Unless of course Toady releases an update! Seriously having an original name for the most original game makes me very happy!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 11:48:10 pm »

It's not as bad as my old internet name.

putnamehere3145.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 11:57:33 pm »

While I agree that threads should be in the "correct" section of the forums, I feel compelled to point out that questions about how to do stuff, or how to do it better, that deals specifically with Fortress mode is appropriate for the Fortress mode section of the forums.  Same for Adventure mode stuff and its respective subforum.

Aside from the general lack of annoying trolls (there are some entertaining ones, of course, which I very much enjoy ;) ) one of the things I like about you guys here is that even a noob question in this subforum generally turns into a discussion about how things work in Fortress mode ... and then how to either weaponize it or kill it with magma ... or both. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 12:03:35 am »

It's not as bad as my old internet name.

putnamehere3145.

putnamehere3145.

putnam

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE

And you are the first ever.

Some guy on a TF2 server starting calling me that and it stuck.
Pages: [1] 2