Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Grimeling that just won't die  (Read 2805 times)

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Grimeling that just won't die
« on: December 14, 2011, 06:01:58 am »

Ok, so I've been experimenting with building an aboveground fortress in an evil biome (oddly so far has sported mostly capybaras)

I had a few issues with grimelings already, one where a lone grimeling destroyed my 3 man militia on his own, in seconds, which made me somewhat cautious of them.

So about a month of game time later another shows up. I draft 6 of my woodcutters/crafters to go and take it out, hoping that sheer numbers would overwhelm it.

Well... My dwarfs are surviving just fine, apart from the odd broken thumb, but so is the grimeling. Despite the largest inventory of scars I've ever seen:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is after around 16 days of fighting.

It's been nearly a month now, and the list of scars has gotten so long it's almost impossible to get them all to display properly.

It's also ubertrained my militia:
None of them had a single bit of experience in any combat skills before this.

This is one of the strangest and most awesome things i've seen in this game so far  :o
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
Re: The Grimeling that just won't die
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 06:05:24 am »

My god. That is the MOST EPIC grimeling in existance
You should capture it and send in dwarves that need to be trained in there.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 06:14:44 am »

does it have a name?
use runesmith to have a look at it's stats.
save scum and use one of the two saves to look at him in the Legends.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 06:16:56 am »

My god. That is the MOST EPIC grimeling in existance
You should capture it and send in dwarves that need to be trained in there.

That would be a cool idea  :P

Except I'm caught in a conundrum, i'm afraid of ever letting my militia stop fighting it, for fear that it'll drag it's scar riddled body over to my fort and kill my helpless civvies.

At the same time my militia have all been hungry and thirsty for some time now, and I don't want them to die of thirst fighting the thing.

Also the fight seems to have taken my fps from a steady 95-100 down to about 50.

Also shadeknight, I might do just that, except I'm a bit of a noob and haven't done anything of the sort before.. But I'm sure I could figure it out  :P

EDIT: I've checked him under (k) and he doesn't have a name so It'd be impossible to find him I think.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 06:21:31 am by Spinning Welshman »
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 06:20:16 am »

shadeNight.
no K in there.
don't worry common mistake.
as for the saves, it works like this:
save the game and close it( obviously)
then go in the folder where you have installed df, go in data-->save, search for the "region#" which relates to your game (first world? second? excetera) copy and paste it elsewhere, rename it, repaste it back.
reopen df and you now have two different saves, with same stuff.
select one, use runesmith (lazy newb pack has it, or you can find it looking on the forum) to look at it's stats and screen them for us (select the name of the grimelin and then look on the right for stats AND if possible also Traits) and abandon fort then then go for legends.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 06:41:34 am »

shadeNight.
no K in there.
don't worry common mistake.
as for the saves, it works like this:
save the game and close it( obviously)
then go in the folder where you have installed df, go in data-->save, search for the "region#" which relates to your game (first world? second? excetera) copy and paste it elsewhere, rename it, repaste it back.
reopen df and you now have two different saves, with same stuff.
select one, use runesmith (lazy newb pack has it, or you can find it looking on the forum) to look at it's stats and screen them for us (select the name of the grimelin and then look on the right for stats AND if possible also Traits) and abandon fort then then go for legends.

Ok I downloaded Runesmith and check his attributes

they do seem quite high, but I've never looked at this stuff before so I don't really know what I'm looking at.

Also traits
Which seem rather normal to me.

Btw if the grimeling just has the generic name "grimeling" and no unique name, then I won't be able to find it in legens will I?

P.s sorry about the massive pics, I'm new to image hosting

EDIT: fixed an apparently broken spoiler
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 06:51:30 am by Spinning Welshman »

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 06:46:09 am »

his stats are averagely the DOUBLE of the norm for his race.
i mean it.
agility for dodging, toughness for stuff like bleeding and the like, and recuperation nearly 2000? he has "possessed of amazing recuperative powers" toughness on the "basically unbreakable" and he is also "amazingly agile".
he's not going to die.
he's like a terminator.
edit: here you can lookat the stats meaning:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Recuperation#Recuperation

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 06:48:28 am »

his stats are averagely the DOUBLE of the norm for his race.
i mean it.
agility for dodging, toughness for stuff like bleeding and the like, and recuperation nearly 2000? he has "possessed of amazing recuperative powers" toughness on the "basically unbreakable" and he is also "amazingly agile".
he's not going to die.
he's like a terminator.
edit: here you can lookat the stats meaning:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Recuperation#Recuperation

Yeah that would make sense as he seems to be healing wounds as fast as my dwarfs can inflict them  :o
The problem now is how long have I got until my militia dies of thirst, and do I dare let them go and have a drink?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 07:21:05 am »

solution would be the following:
build two bridges in a tight passageway, the one closest to base linked to only one lever, then BOTH the bridges linked to another lever.
so, you press the lever with BOTH bridges attached, and they both OPEN.
you recall your military.
When they get inside the first bridge, you turn back UP BOTH the bridges.
then you look.
if he's still following them he's caught in the middle.
you'll probably lose your military, but he won't hit your fort.
and you can still dig another entrance.
otherwise, open only the closest in bridge and let your military in. (retractable bridges, otherwise it's stomping then dead.)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 07:32:11 am »

Grimelings don't have blood or organs, I think. I'll have to check the RAWs to be sure.

Either way, surround it with cage traps and capture it. Then set up a training arena somewhere. Who needs danger rooms?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 08:52:45 am »

Known bug.

EDIT: bug 0004856: Immortal Dwarf (... Yet unconcious)

My list of scars is longer: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=34430.msg2681896#msg2681896

Bug added to bug poll (see my signature)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 08:57:05 am by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 12:37:39 pm »

Nothing involving mechanisms is an option for me because it's a no-digging fort, I'm using only wood and don't have any artifact mechanisms..

and kogut: It isn't that bug, because neither any of the dwarfs or the grimeling are unconcious, the dwarfs keep making bruising tearing and breaking strikes on the grimeling, and the grimeling is still occassionally countering with a bruising strike or two, so it must be something else.

I'm considering cage-trapping it, if that can be done without mechanisms, I've never used cage traps. It would be a shame to lose this epic creature  :o

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 12:46:56 pm »

Try to keep it busy until a caravan comes. Buy one or more rocks, isolate the area with walls, leaving only a 1-tile exit. Place cage trap in said exit. Grimeling-in-a-box.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 12:56:04 pm »

Try to keep it busy until a caravan comes. Buy one or more rocks, isolate the area with walls, leaving only a 1-tile exit. Place cage trap in said exit. Grimeling-in-a-box.

hmmm... I have a possible alternate solution, wall all the way around the fight except for one tile, then evacuate every dwarf except one "sacrifice" and wall it in with the grimeling, to be locked in battle forever  :D

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 03:02:03 pm »

I had an antwoman with similar properties once. Some monsters are like the immortals from Highlander even if the rest of the race is squishy.

Just like the movie, you can kill an immortal by cutting its head off. You, sir, need swordsdwarves. No, seriously. Swords seem to be the best way sever enough parts to bring one of these regenerating freaks of nature down. This has yet to result in a local electrical storm but it should.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.
Pages: [1] 2