Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burrows  (Read 795 times)

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
Burrows
« on: December 14, 2011, 02:06:53 am »

What all does a burrow restrict, exactly?  The wiki was not terribly clear on this.  If I wanted to make a single burrow that a dwarf could be assigned to on a long term basis, what all do I need to keep in there?  His workshop, obviously.  And his materials, I've gathered.  Does he need food delivered? 
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Burrows
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 03:51:31 am »

I separate my miners with the use of burrows, making sure the dwarves I want are digging where I want them to dig. In my burrow I include the area I want them to dig, foodstockpile (so that they get food), dining area (so that they have a chair and table to eat on) and sleeping quarters (so they have a bed to sleep on). These are all separate areas within the same burrow, I don't know how this would work if a single dwarf would be assigned to multiple burrows.

It is my experience, and I've heard others say the same, that if you designate the same burrow in many separate places (my example above), the dwarves will move between the allowed areas as needed but will not spend any extra time outside their designated burrow.

To answer your question: include food and booze in the burrow so that the dwarf survives. Anything else is optional luxury.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 08:34:11 am »

When a dwarf is assigned to a burrow, he is not permitted to perform any jobs at buildings outside the burrow, or any jobs involving objects outside the burrow, or to use activity zones outside the burrow.  The burrow does not restrict where the dwarf can go, just what objects or buildings he can use.  So if you are assigning a dwarf to a burrow, that burrow should include any workshops you want the dwarf to work at, any stockpile of raw materials he'll need, a source of food and drink, and any rooms (bedroom, dining room, etc) you want him to be able to use.  The burrow doesn't need to be contiguous however, so the rooms and workshops can be separated by non-burrow spaces.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 12:32:22 pm »

Also bear in mind that you can assign the same dwarf to more than one burrow. This is useful if you want to allow all of your dwarves access to your central food and drink stockpiles while restricting individual dwarves to just their industry zones, as you can make one burrow over the main piles and assign every dwarf that will be burrowed to it, then make additional burrows for each industry.

In addition, I feel I should make this explicit: dwarves that are on break or that have no job will sometimes wander outside of their burrows, particularly if they had a job outside the burrow recently. Except for alerts, dwarves are not actually restricting in their movements by burrows, only by what jobs they can take and materials they can use, and as a result things that aren't jobs that don't use materials aren't affected by them.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 10:01:53 pm »

In my experience, starving or dehydrated dwarves don't care about burrows. So much for easy hermits...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.