Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disposing of Prisoners?  (Read 596 times)

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disposing of Prisoners?
« on: December 13, 2011, 11:21:13 pm »

I've been getting a number of goblin prisoners from attacks they've been launching and I'm wondering what methods I can use to dispose of them.  At the moment I have a few chains in a room that I can flood and then empty but I can only chain one at a time (that prisoner will cause the dwarves to be interrupted in trying to chain up another).  I do have the chains fairly close together, with just one empty space between each.  Is there a more efficient way to do this?  Or, a different method of disposal entirely?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Disposing of Prisoners?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 11:28:49 pm »

Instead of chaining them in the room, dig a hole in the top of the room, cover it with a floor hatch, and set it as a pit that you assign the goblins to. Your dwarves will grab the goblin, open the hatch, and then dump them below and instantly close the hatch, preventing them from being frightened by the goblins in the room below. Keep in mind that if you try this with goblin thieves or more dangerous animals they will escape your grasp however, promptly wrecking havoc on your fort, but you would have that problem with the chains anyways. Then after you have however many goblins you want in the room simply flood/empty it as normal.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 12:04:18 am »

Dig a 10+ z-level pit. Cover the bottom with menacing spikes. Drop goblins in from the top, and once they reach the bottom they're only a problem for your refuse heap. GIBS EVERYWHERE.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 12:28:12 am »

I'm gonna do Necro's job here, and say "Magma".
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 12:33:11 am »

i2 is describing mass pitting.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Mass_pitting

After spending the better part of a year making hatch covers, you can easily build a room that is both a pitting zone and an animal stockpile. You can then empty your entire animal stockpile into a second room below it very rapidly. If the stockpile is not right next to the hatch then the dwarves will need some time to haul a prisoner to the pit. The ability to flood the killing floor with magma or saturate it with crossbow bolts is a must.

Pitting technology also makes it easy to trick goblins and forgotten beasts into having a cage match; this can be an entertaining and fun sport.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 02:56:07 am »

So if I understand this correctly, I do something like this:

Build a room where the prisoners are actually to be held.  Have a room above with a hole/open space in the floor.  Put the hatch cover over that, then put a zone in the same place as the hatch which I set as the pit?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 03:14:09 am »

you can build the cage they are in in the room, link it to a lever and release them. Depending on your preference, the room itself can be trapped to kill prisoners, it can have fortifications around for target practice, it can have a retracting bridge to drop them to whatever is below, it can have a normal drawbridge atomsmasher etc etc

Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 08:06:50 am »

hairless goblin body produces usable bones after rotting. Now how do you remove head and limbs? That's easy - you drop goblins all the way down from surface to the -142 level, where your craftsdwarves reside!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 08:08:25 am »

mine are only at 70 z levels down, you think it will still work?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 01:22:20 pm »

So if I understand this correctly, I do something like this:

Build a room where the prisoners are actually to be held.  Have a room above with a hole/open space in the floor.  Put the hatch cover over that, then put a zone in the same place as the hatch which I set as the pit?

Yes. Then, go back to the zone and add prisoners and animals to the zone over the hatch cover like you'd pasture an animal but as a pit. A dwarf will come by, take a goblin out of a cage for a nanosecond, and then throw it down the hatch before closing it immediately.

Arranging it so that every cage in your animal stockpile is right next to a hatch cover just makes it hilariously fast.

Master thieves, buzzards and hydras will resent being stuffed down a tiny hole. The tedious but OSHA-compliant way to release very large or nimble captives is to build their cage as a building (j) and link the cage to a lever with mechanisms.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 01:30:57 pm »

mine are only at 70 z levels down, you think it will still work?
...Yes. Yes it will.

Drops of 5 z-levels or more usually cause death, though most creatures who drop that distance will survive the initial impact only to bleed out. 10-level drops typically cause instant death, and bleeding out is usually very fast on those that don't. Every additional level only increases the chance of instant death and the ferocity of their demise; a 70-level drop is likely to cause unfortunate victims to explode into their component parts, spreading limbs all over. This is a good thing, as severed or blasted-off limbs decay to usable bones while a whole corpse wouldn't.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!