Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Textile industry: Idea for new type of cloth  (Read 1246 times)

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Textile industry: Idea for new type of cloth
« on: December 13, 2011, 07:35:38 pm »

As for most product, I strongly wish to see a dwarven-specific way of manufacturing and collecting the materials. As for the textile industry, there are underground plants already. Yes.
But let's be honest... Plants aren't dwarvish enough! I want real dwarven-cloth!

Well, as you might have heard, dwarves are well know for their beards. Oh those wonderful, long beards.
As you might know aswell, some dwarves deserve punishment. Hammering them and breaking a few bones is not that terrible. I have a better idea, and it will boost the economy!
Dwarven-Beard-Thread that can be woven to Dwarven-Beard-Cloth and then finally crafted to the finest Dwarven-Beard-Textiles! What better usage for prisonners, criminals and nobles can you find? Sheer their beards off and get your textile indrustry running - in a real dwarvish way!

What do you think? I think, I would love a Rwarven-Beard-Robe as magistrate of my wonderful prison colony. Oh yes, I do.
The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Textile industry: Idea for new type of cloth
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 03:22:51 am »

That really only requires a change to justice system on the dev's side - to introduce shearing as a form of punishment. Apart from that, dwarves can be made shearable in the raws.

EDIT: and after them having been made shearable, you can arrange the "justice" yourself with some micromanagement.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 03:26:03 am by nanomage »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 09:00:26 am »

What do you think?

Hammer that Heretic!  No Way.

I'm against it on grounds of its close relationship to Amish Gangs.  Yes, there are Amish Gangs.  And yes, they bust in other Amish houses to do violence.  If a fella won't put a battery operated blinker on his buggy, he gets his beard trimmed, by the Amish Gang.  Against a triangle reflectors, in favor of square reflectors for there plainness?  Beard Trim.  Its a huge embarrassment in that subculture to have a hairless face, after marriage, anyways.  Too huge to bear in some cases.

While this sounds funny, beard woven clothing, is heresy.  I think the only use for dwarf hair should be in the fashion crafts.  Wigs, costumes, and of course the beard extensions for the ladies.  In no way should it go into clothing, or the prison system.  Trimmings should always be voluntary.  Its a disfigurement, and there is no place for that in the correction system. 

Unless its a hammering and we are short on bones for ammo.  But you know, using bones for ammo, dwarven bones anyway, seems unlucky.  Ya think that convicts bone is gonna shoot straight?  However I'd imagine, its no different than using hair.  I dunno.  Wouldn't it itch? 

It just all seems a bit twisted.  I could play with it, if forced to.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 09:13:16 am »

Double post.  *blush*

On a positive note.  I'd toss back a mug of mead with you Molay, if the value of llama and alpaca products were increased 10 fold.  As they are in real life far more valuable than they are represented in the game.  But not as valuable as silk.  And silk, should to some degree prevent ranged attacks.  On the grounds of its bulletproof nature.

And now we must ask, where are the synthetics?  Or maybe we shouldn't ask that.  Hehe.

And down, feather filled clothing?  No wooden bed can be complete without a feather filled pillow.  There needs to be a pillow trade.   
Be a nice way to indoctrinate the kiddies into a military field. LOL!

Ber is throwing a Pillow Fight!

Again sorry for the double post.

Sincerely,
Knutor

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 12:55:13 am »

What do you think?

Hammer that Heretic!  No Way.

I'm against it on grounds of its close relationship to Amish Gangs.  Yes, there are Amish Gangs.  And yes, they bust in other Amish houses to do violence.  If a fella won't put a battery operated blinker on his buggy, he gets his beard trimmed, by the Amish Gang.  Against a triangle reflectors, in favor of square reflectors for there plainness?  Beard Trim.  Its a huge embarrassment in that subculture to have a hairless face, after marriage, anyways.  Too huge to bear in some cases.

While this sounds funny, beard woven clothing, is heresy.  I think the only use for dwarf hair should be in the fashion crafts.  Wigs, costumes, and of course the beard extensions for the ladies.  In no way should it go into clothing, or the prison system.  Trimmings should always be voluntary.  Its a disfigurement, and there is no place for that in the correction system. 

Unless its a hammering and we are short on bones for ammo.  But you know, using bones for ammo, dwarven bones anyway, seems unlucky.  Ya think that convicts bone is gonna shoot straight?  However I'd imagine, its no different than using hair.  I dunno.  Wouldn't it itch? 

It just all seems a bit twisted.  I could play with it, if forced to.

Sincerely,
Knutor
I disagree. I mean, yeah sure it's horrible and it's a disfigurement and many dwarves would prefer to kill themselves rather than live without beard, but so what? Let them drop to miserable, go insane and die, it's not a big deal. Dwarves die all the way, it's the way things go. Even if such horrible cruelty is not allowed into penitentiary system in most dwarven civs, i'd like to have villains and elves and magicians humilating dwarven bodies or prisoners in such a way.
Torture is fun, if not for ourselves then for other worldgen races. Now what's worse for a dwarf than slow-frying him after having broken all his limbs? Yeah sure, cut off his beard! I'm all for it, and i can't wait this happen, in fortresses and in worldgen.
As far as i know, chopping off body parts is already planned as a part of crime&punishment stuff. I wonder if removing beards is somewhere there, too.

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 05:12:30 pm »

Thanks for your replies! Well, I'll stick with my idea that this is an adequate punishment! Some broken bones heal in no time, missing limbs are affordable. But cutting his beard off... I think this is the way to go, to restore justice in a civilization. Who would dare commit crimes? It should indeed give them bad thoughts. And why not have them try to suicide themselves in their cell - with nothing but the walls, the door and a fine woven dwarven-beard rope. One criminal less! And the rope can still be used afterwards, of course. (no wasting.)

I really love my dwarves, but... I love punishment, too.

As to the amish gangs, I didn't know anything about that. And while it's an interesting (and I guess somewhat terrifying) story, I really don't think that real-life events should hinder a game in any way. People can distinct between a crime that drives another human into suicide because he can't bear his shaved face and an innovative way of punishing dwarfs while creating a new industry section :D
The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 03:11:14 am »

Who would dare commit crimes?

The women.  Aren't they beardless?

As far as I can see, using hair of an inmate wouldn't be a problem, but forcing them to give it up, might be.  Ever try and cut the hair of an angry person?  Its easier to lop off his head, than to expel the energy.  And its not like there isn't a hoary yak standing over there in the field, giving you his best, "I didn't do it" look.  Prisoners are not tame, and some people would argue that they were NEVER tame. 

Prisoner: Energy>Effort
Sheep: Effort<Energy

Sincerely,
Knutor