Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New To Sucessive/Bloodline Games, Any Tips?  (Read 957 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
New To Sucessive/Bloodline Games, Any Tips?
« on: December 13, 2011, 07:19:47 pm »

Name says it all, any tips to sucessive/bloodline games? I'm reletivley new to DF, but I can hold my own for almost everything that was thrown at me (namely a giant, 3 goblins with crossbows and a goblin swordmaster). If anything else may be told to me in order to help me with sucessive/bloodline games, feel free to share! Otherwise, let me know of any openings please ;D
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New To Sucessive/Bloodline Games, Any Tips?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 07:58:47 pm »

Tantrum Spirals, Clown Cars.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 08:05:49 pm »

Tantrum Spirals, Clown Cars.
Already I'm scared as hell just with those four words, but I'm still gonna go thorough with this
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 09:29:32 pm »

Learn to handle them, you must, before succession and bloodlines you can play.
Unless you're the first year.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 12:49:56 pm »

Don't listen to those pessimists.  Behave as if you are completely and utterly qualified to make changes and introduce stuff.  Avoid levers not labeled via the N-menu (that's N, not n). Spend a good hour with the pause on looking at the fort.  It will be confusing as hell at first, and other people's designs can be bewildering.

You should come a turn at the Inn of Drowning--it's a great little fort, but for some reason it's had no luck gathering players of late--check my signature for the link.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 12:52:10 pm »

Don't listen to those pessimists.  Behave as if you are completely and utterly qualified to make changes and introduce stuff.  AvoidPull all levers not labeled via the N-menu (that's N, not n). Spend a good hour with the pause on looking at the fort.  It will be confusing as hell at first, and other people's designs can be bewildering.

You should come a turn at the Inn of Drowning--it's a great little fort, but for some reason it's had no luck gathering players of late--check my signature for the link.
FTFY

I also recommend downloading a save from one of the forts (any will do as long as a good number of players had their turns already) and trying to play as normal.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 04:03:52 pm »

If you're playing a game that needs writing up, make sure you write it up. I can't tell you how many threads I've stopped reading because of dull or incomplete updates. Even if the only things that happen are mundane, using storytelling and some flavour can make it interesting to read.

People who ask to be dorfed might want to see how their dwarves are faring in the cruel world of Dwarf Fortress. Play up the personalities of some of the named dwarves and inject some humour into ordinary events. If nothing is happening, check a dwarf's relationships, or the descriptions of gods. See if you have any strange cults.

You don't have to be too verbose, but a little flavour can liven things up. If your booze stocks are running low, say Urist McBrewer was found passed out under the still and needed a boot up the arse from DwarfNamedAfterRandomForumite. Character development is good. ;)

The worst thing to see is an update that skims everything because the player was looking for the next Boatmurdered and only wanted to write about something "epic". It breaks the flow and can leave readers confused about other things that happen next.

Edit: Also, screenshots.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 04:11:47 pm by Newbunkle »

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 10:07:12 pm »

Be comforted and dive in! You cannot possibly mess up a community fort beyond repair.  Take the latest Ardentdikes save for example. Dariush left the fort-flooding lever on.  The next overseer fixed it. Even if the fort falls it can be reclaimed.

Really, don't worry about 'getting it right' or whatever. This is DF, there isn't a right way.  Just make sure to write things up.

There are a lot of forts that could use some fresh blood. Scrubbedcreams is stalled right now, I know.  We'd love to see you there!
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.