Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: no FUN  (Read 1977 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: no FUN
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 06:34:45 pm »

I usually use caged prisoners to agitate the native giant cave spider population in the basement.

The cages are hauled to a special "waiting room" deep in the bowels of the fortress, and linked to a convenient lever in the administrtation district.  The waiting room has double floodgates which are also linked to the same switch. Outside the waiting room is a "herded" collection of wild giant cave spiders. (Caught in cage traps as well. Released safely in the adjoining room.)

This has several advantages: the invading army gets to deal with a sticky (literally) problem for me, expensive giant cave spider silk gets created, and the army's goblin chrismas presents are preserved.

It is also fun to watch.

Only useful on embarks with the cave system infested with gcs though.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 06:40:16 pm »

I usually use caged prisoners to agitate the native giant cave spider population in the basement.

The cages are hauled to a special "waiting room" deep in the bowels of the fortress, and linked to a convenient lever in the administrtation district.  The waiting room has double floodgates which are also linked to the same switch. Outside the waiting room is a "herded" collection of wild giant cave spiders. (Caught in cage traps as well. Released safely in the adjoining room.)

This has several advantages: the invading army gets to deal with a sticky (literally) problem for me, expensive giant cave spider silk gets created, and the army's goblin chrismas presents are preserved.

It is also fun to watch.

Only useful on embarks with the cave system infested with gcs though.

My greatest achievement was danger room training (in a 300x300 danger room nonetheless) an entire goblin army to legendary in all skills, separated from HFS by an artefact jade door, to an adamantine spire that led to the HFS.

The goblins won.

Then the Dwarves walked inside...

Also, artefact doors are legendary in their own right. I could've sworn the clowns couldn't get through it.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 06:42:54 pm »

I think artifact buildings cannot be destroyed. I am not 100% sure, however.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 06:44:37 pm »

I think artifact buildings cannot be destroyed. I am not 100% sure, however.

The Jade door supports this theory.

Could this mean jewelers are suddenly going to become the newest in line of weaponized professions? :D :D :D

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 09:13:22 pm »

I dislike using the word prisoner. It makes it sound like they aren't enjoying their stay at the wondrous fortress of Gorerape.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 09:28:12 pm »

I dislike using the word prisoner. It makes it sound like they aren't enjoying their stay at the wondrous fortress of Gorerape.
Gorerape ~= Hotel California?  ???  8)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Zinc23

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity Squared is Fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 10:45:30 pm »

Hmmm... put your captured goblins and such into a corridor, link em up, then herd them into a 1x1 room and lock the door.  On top, there will be a retracting bridge that opens onto the surface.  By the way, you need to be in a freezing biome to even do this.  Pump a little bit of water into his room, then open the drawbridge, and freeze him solid.  Cryo-stasis is the best way to keep those elephants good until your butcher shops are open again.
The fastest GM in the woooooooorld!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 02:56:03 pm »

Hmmm... put your captured goblins and such into a corridor, link em up, then herd them into a 1x1 room and lock the door.  On top, there will be a retracting bridge that opens onto the surface.  By the way, you need to be in a freezing biome to even do this.  Pump a little bit of water into his room, then open the drawbridge, and freeze him solid.  Cryo-stasis is the best way to keep those elephants good until your butcher shops are open again.

Don't you mean your Goblin guests? :)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 04:07:55 pm »

Gorerape ~= Hotel California?  ???  8)

I know Gorerape can seem a tad foreboding at times. But once you settle in, I can assure you it will feel like a home away from home. A home you will never need to leave.

Perhaps you should take a look at our
Spoiler: brochure (click to show/hide)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 04:18:14 pm »

Those visitors look so happy!

Reminds me of the brochure for the hedonism III hotel, actually.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 05:09:46 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]