Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: no FUN  (Read 1976 times)

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
no FUN
« on: December 13, 2011, 03:21:09 pm »

Lately I've been having no FUN happening in my fortress. I'm att 120 pop so far, a small welltrained milita that never has to do anything because of my super traps! One simple trap design early in the fort basically eliminates any threat be it megabeast or siege, the only possibility of failure is that flying can jsut sneak pass. Sometimes an accident happen and a dwarf is put in a coffin but nothing serial and I think I really need to start helping the FUN to happen.

The last few forts has been abandoned because of boredom. Allways catches any accident before it goes out of hand. So how can I encourage fun? Manually cause tantrum spirals? Driving my militia insane and let them loose on the fort? Kill all the babies and watch the mothers go berserk?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: no FUN
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 03:22:48 pm »

Dig deeper.
This is a blank sig.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 03:25:39 pm »

Done that, was "fun" but the game went unplayable. Talking < 1 fps

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 03:35:57 pm »

Disable the trap.  Seriously.  Nothing ruins a good fort like a perfect trap.  Try to redesign it so it is more dangerous somehow.  Employ useless but spectacular additions (ice, magma, cavern monsters, goblins+pressure plates).  While the fort goes down in flames keep track of your own favorite dwarves, the legendaries and such.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 03:51:02 pm »

You pretty much provided the answer to your own question. Stop building traps.

The Wanderer of Planes

• Bay Watcher
  • PhD in Dwarven Sociology
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 03:54:35 pm »

I agree with disabling the traps... they really take the fun out of my hero dwarves (they can't "took joy in slaughter" when traps do all the work, and thus it influences their well-being negatively).

About the fun... you have to understand that all games end up in fun. No matter what happens, fun will prevail. All you have to do is sit back and watch. I like to play fitting music while watching my dwarves (when there are no iddlers)... find your own hobby (feels strange having a hobby while playing (which is also a hobby)).

Of course some games can become boring when your dwarves are well and fed. Some suggestions:

include some magma
slaughter elves
build a colosseum
slaughter elves in the colosseum
build a pool (of blood) in the colosseum

The possibilities are endless.
That's where the fun comes from.
Dwarven politics are always about magma...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 04:08:43 pm »

If you want to continue using traps, make them overly complicated.

Make sure it leaves some survivors.

Make sure those survivors have a clear path to your fortress from then on.

Make sure that path leads to your civilians.

Kazimir86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 04:10:51 pm »

I never use more than 8 cage traps and 4 weapon traps with the Fortress Defense mod. Makes for tons of !!FUN!! I usually never even make it to year 3, as I suck at organizing a decent military, and I refuse to use a danger room.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 04:22:39 pm »

after one of my forts grew too strong, i decided to make a fun battle room. I didnt want to become too vulnerable, so it still would give my militia an advantage. It was basically a large floor somewhere above my fort that i opened up in case of sieges (instead of letting them go through maze of death). It had a few traps randomly spread over the floor, quite a few spike traps, dangerous to my own too, presure plate in a well traveled area etc, the rest of it weapon traps with anything ut up to 3 attacks: spiked ball, serrate disc, or a giant axe blade and 2 surplus weapons, or picks, or the wooden weapons from an elf caravan that ran into a goblin ambush, pretty random, no cage traps. The mechanisms used were not high quality, the weapons mostly copper and other less useful materials. I still always won, but they made me fight for it, especially once when there were 6 squads attacking me and the trolls comming in first were largely unaffected by the traps
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 05:36:25 pm »

In most games you choose the difficulty level before starting a new game.
In dwarf fortress you turn the easy mode on whenever you employ cage traps. Likewise, terrifying embark with trapless wrestler militia would probably equal nightmare difficulty from doom.

Or you could try mods. Genesis and Fortress Defence seem to be quite popular. Rumour has it they up the difficulty as well.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 05:38:59 pm »

In most games you choose the difficulty level before starting a new game.
In dwarf fortress you turn the easy mode on whenever you employ cage traps. Likewise, terrifying embark with trapless wrestler militia would probably equal nightmare difficulty from doom.

Or you could try mods. Genesis and Fortress Defence seem to be quite popular. Rumour has it they up the difficulty as well.

Cage traps is not easy mode... It's easier mode :P
Easier = Less fun :(

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 05:58:37 pm »

I don't know, the plans I have in store for my many caged guests are likely to provide great quantities of fun.

Although, I barely have enough cage traps to capture a single squad, and they're pretty scattered.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 06:04:21 pm »

Option 1: Stop activateing the traps

Option 2: Dismantle the traps altogether

Option 3: Make a new, more elaborate trap. My goal is to make a drowning chamber for my fortress entrance as a trap. Complete with drain to flush the trash out.

Option 4: Just find something else to do. I dunno, cage traps + arena, or dig deeper to find more fun, or start some elaborate construction. There's more forms of fun than survival and death.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 06:13:52 pm »

I don't know, the plans I have in store for my many caged guests are likely to provide great quantities of fun.

Although, I barely have enough cage traps to capture a single squad, and they're pretty scattered.

ooOOOoo but that's different :P

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 06:21:39 pm »

Cage traps are fine as long as you use the prisioners for something.

My favorite is scattering cages around the fort and linking them to a pressure plate that can only be activated by cats (or things that weight about the same) in a forgotten corner of the fort. Given my rather short attention span, I end up forgetting about it until it triggers.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: [1] 2