Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

what sort of server would work best for you?

Internet/lan (something like hamachi)
- 2 (10%)
The good old battle.net (European)
- 1 (5%)
The good old battle.net (American)
- 7 (35%)
battle.net (other)
- 1 (5%)
Both battle.net and hamachi would work
- 9 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: December 15, 2011, 01:43:21 am

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Warcraft III  (Read 9271 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Warcraft III
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 12:04:37 pm »

Which RP maps? Like those where you can make anything and RP with that? That's quite... unique. You need special people to play them. I enjoyed it though.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 12:10:16 pm »

I used to play this a lot. I recommend any custom map that was created by King_Leopold. I don't know they guy but I usually refreshed battle.net over and over again until I saw one of his maps, as I somehow was incapable of hosting a game.
I stopped playing it when it was impossible to find anything other than DotA and level9999999999footmen maps.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 12:13:14 pm »

Which RP maps? Like those where you can make anything and RP with that? That's quite... unique. You need special people to play them. I enjoyed it though.
Precisely. I loved those maps, but all people host now is DOTA.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 12:19:08 pm »

Oh God, I used to play this when I was little, but we had no internet, so I played the shit out of singleplayer, but that soon got me bored and I threw it away. Now, after 9 or so years I have nor CDs, nor CD-keys  :-\.
^

I'm pretty sure I still have my CD's, but I don't have the CD key. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

They host maps like that on SC2. They're REALLY fun when you have good RPers. Unfortunately all the people that I get matched up with are moronic 11 year olds that don't know plot from exposition. Literally every single public match ends in a godwar  :(

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 12:22:32 pm »

100 Rounds ended up being my favorite custom map. It was so fun. In fact I may reinstall this just to play that map if I can find it again.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 12:49:38 pm »

Ahaha, one of the RoC cds seems to actually work! And makes my computer cause a horrible racket, but... apparent function? Huzzah!

"Please enter CD key" arglefargle, damnit.

I actually checked th'blizz stuff to see if there was a recovery option of some sort for lost keys. 10$+s&h, sending off the CDs, 2-4 weeks for processing :-\

Per CD, apparently. The battlechest is currently $19.99 on amazon (and twice that on the actual blizzard store. What?).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Drakasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 01:09:30 pm »

Ahaha, one of the RoC cds seems to actually work! And makes my computer cause a horrible racket, but... apparent function? Huzzah!

"Please enter CD key" arglefargle, damnit.

I actually checked th'blizz stuff to see if there was a recovery option of some sort for lost keys. 10$+s&h, sending off the CDs, 2-4 weeks for processing :-\

Per CD, apparently. The battlechest is currently $19.99 on amazon (and twice that on the actual blizzard store. What?).
Wouldn't buying Starcraft II be more worthy then? I heard it has waaaay better map editor than W3, and if all I saw here is true, than you will find mostly DOTA. And if RPGs, then with friends or reasonable people, because (I CONFESS) when I tried to play on eurobattle.net or Garena and actually found an RPG map being hosted, I joined and... played with idiots. Incredible idiots and racists (Turkish people [mostly kids] and their Islam), and I mean it, stupid turkish people and their hatred to other people with different/no religion. That was a while ago, so now it can be only worse. Dunno about battle.net tho.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 01:11:37 pm by Drakasin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 01:16:04 pm »

Ah, there's no way in hell I'm getting or playing SC2. Not even interested in filching it :-\

Partially because of my system's specs, but mostly because I've heard basically nothing but shit about how Blizz has handled custom maps for the game (And I'm completely uninterested in the vanilla game, yeah, outside of maybe a single campaign playthrough.). Between that and my distaste of how B's been handling certain other things for their new stuff, I really just don't want to give them any money. I've already bought Diablo, years back, and th'whole spread of RTS warcrafts. S'all they're getting, yanno'?

WC3'd be nice for setting up some lan stuff via hamachi or whatever, if I couldn't rustle up th'bloody keys.
Ask not!
Ask!

Drakasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 01:20:51 pm »

Ah, there's no way in hell I'm getting or playing SC2. Not even interested in filching it :-\

Partially because of my system's specs, but mostly because I've heard basically nothing but shit about how Blizz has handled custom maps for the game (And I'm completely uninterested in the vanilla game, yeah, outside of maybe a single campaign playthrough.). Between that and my distaste of how B's been handling certain other things for their new stuff, I really just don't want to give them any money. I've already bought Diablo, years back, and th'whole spread of RTS warcrafts. S'all they're getting, yanno'?

WC3'd be nice for setting up some lan stuff via hamachi or whatever, if I couldn't rustle up th'bloody keys.
Yeah, well if you'll ever host a hamachi server for some W3 maps and would look for people, count me in. But I live in Europe, so if you live in America, there might be a time problem.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 01:36:50 pm »

As noted, don't buy SC2 if you want to play custom maps, stick to WC3 or BW. Battle.net 2.0 is completely useless in that regard.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 01:44:19 pm »

still have WC3, and The frozen throne. played both campaigns, now play RP maps (like peasant's life) and WWZ maps online. ahhh.... good games.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 02:13:48 pm »

Reinstallation sans keys (It's fortunately incredibly easy to change to an appropriate key if I e'er dig one back up) is going well, probably be done later this afternoon. Then it's looking into hamachi or... whatever's appropriate, I guess. I'll see about hosting, but m'conn's not the greatest in the world.

Anyone have suggestions/links to maps? Perhaps even a map folder compressed and uploaded to mediafire or somethin'? M'definitely going to hunt down a few battleship maps and some of the more interesting not!Dota AoS maps, but anything and everything else s'far as recommendations go would be awesome ;D My memory of the good stuff innit at its peak, and getting the right version was always a nightmare.
Ask not!
Ask!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2011, 03:01:57 pm »

I'll probably get Warcraft 3 soon, it's easily my most played game of all time, so it deserves a second payment from me.

Good maps that I remember:

Parasite.  Everybody's on a ship and one guy is secretly an alien.  Part of a mini-genre of The Thing-styled games and by far the best.  I was godlike at this game, and won basically every round.

Zerg infestation.  Everybody's at a terran base and one guy is secretly a zerg.  Second best of The Thing style games.

Night of the Dead 2.  Everybody's in a city and there are zombies.  Lots of fun.

Night of the Dead Aftermath.  Everybody's in a forest and there are zombies.  Extremely complex for a Warcraft 3 map.

Tides of Blood.  A pretty good AoS, not very popular and I don't remember it being very balanced either.

Ragos ORPG.  Does horrible things with the English language but takes the popular ORPG formula and distills it.  Ten levels, once you're at max it's all boss fights and cool stuff, also the only ORPG I know of with multiple maps.  There are four or five different maps and they all use the same passwords so you can bring your guy from one to the other.  That means the raid dungeons can be really complex.

Uther Party.  Basically multiplayer Warioware, tons of fun.

World War Zombie.  Basically a world war map but two players are zombies.  Tends to be very one-sided.  If France is quick he can fortify the catacombs and basically make it impossible for one of the zombie players to get started, and the second zombie player isn't as decisive a threat.  If France can't get his shit together though the game's basically over as Europe will be overrun.

Lord of the Rings Risk.  It's pretty fun, I don't remember much about it.

Star Trek.  A twelve player Star Trek World War game, with several dozen planets to conquer and every major race as far as I know.  There are four or five Independent Empires who usually end up being food for the other races.  The Borg are pretty OP.  The Romulan Warbird is extremely OP and most games ban it under the honor system.  The rest of the races are pretty balance.  Species 8472 starts out in fluid space and spends the first half hour or so unbelievably bored until they get a huge fleet, escape fluid space, and fuck everyone up, or someone makes a portal to fluid space before they're ready and ruins it.

Helms Deep.  Basically the battle of Helms Deep.  Lots of fun.

Fellowship of the Ring.  Everybody gets to be a member of the fellowship and the game follows the entire story of Lord of the Rings.  A really ambitious map and it's a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 03:11:29 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2011, 03:33:22 pm »

-awesome maps -

+

Cruiser Command. Play as a crewmember of a starship. Go through missions by using the environment: navigate the ship on a space map using the bridge, control turrets, pilot mining ships and mine resources from asteroids, fight space pirates and advance the plot. Non-retarded players who can read Help[F9] are required. [Download and description]

Metastasis. Like Parasite, but with more stuff to do (and better planet surface, different stations and ships). A bit harder and goes away from the conspiracy towards free roaming but still very fun and playable. [Download and description]

Founders of the north. A good RPG/settlement building map where you play as a hero and can do various jobs (hunt, fish, trade etc.) and you build your own settlement. Really well done and FUN with friends. Check it out here: [Download and description]

Island troll tribes. Control a hero troll of a selected class, gather resources, hunt, build structures and items with resources, brew potions, PvP. Extremely fun.

Jungle trolls Reborn. A "casualed" down version of ITT. A bigger map and more stuff to do, but more forgiving and less about PvP and more about PvE. Also tends to be really long. [Download and description]

TKoK. One of the best (if not the best) RPG for Warcraft III. [Download and description]
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 03:46:17 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2011, 03:36:09 pm »

I happen to still have warcraft 3 on my computer, I didn't play it much back in the day but maybe we could set up a few bay12 custom games eventually?
Blargh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10