Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

what sort of server would work best for you?

Internet/lan (something like hamachi)
- 2 (10%)
The good old battle.net (European)
- 1 (5%)
The good old battle.net (American)
- 7 (35%)
battle.net (other)
- 1 (5%)
Both battle.net and hamachi would work
- 9 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: December 15, 2011, 01:43:21 am

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Warcraft III  (Read 9268 times)

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
Re: Warcraft III
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2011, 07:24:11 pm »

I can host this Thursday.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2011, 08:49:54 pm »

:C  I can't get my router to let me host.  If I figure it out I'll host whenever people want.
Shoes...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2011, 09:47:02 pm »

I could never get into Island Troll Tribes.  It was like DotA, extremely competitive playerbase that will murder you if you don't already know what to do.

Some other ones I thought of:

Winter Survival.  Everyone is stranded in a frozen wasteland and has to survive.  Last one alive wins.  Lots of item reactions, etc.

Happyville(? I think that's what it was called).  Everyone is a villager except for one or more randomly selected "bad guys."  A very wide variety of possible bad guys.
It's not like DoTA :P. And it had quite nice newb-friendly clans which would pick you up and teach you. And being a pretty hard game, it did not have too many players (in comparison to DoTA) so people were more or less not elitist morons (with exceptions of course). With time the picture changed a bit but still the map itself is totally awesome.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2011, 10:20:20 pm »

Yeah... troll island tribes (or island troll, I guess. I seem to remember the former, oddly. And something about a gryphon? The maker, maybe?) tended to attract fairly laid back folks, at least when I was last playing. So long as you'd admit you had no idea what the bloody hell you were doing and pulled yer head out yer ass and listened to what folks were (politely, usually) telling you, the hostility was pretty limited. Stuff wasn't too hard to pick up, really.

Might have just got lucky, I'unno. My first few forays into the map was helped along by both my team and enemies, and I helped spread the love later on. Back then, though, the biggest issue was usually talking new folks (and th'experienced players) into sticking around long enough to let the bloody download finish, heh. Dial-up was still pretty common.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2011, 10:35:53 pm »

I just remember another good one, some kind of four-player battle chess game.  Sort of like Archon with multiple races.
Shoes...

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2011, 11:07:38 pm »

I was a big DotA player here too.

But I did have a hand in making "Fortress Survival", "Custom Hero Arena", and "Zomg Zombies!". I used to be very involved in the WC3 mapping community :)

I quit though. All my friends moved on. Only people left are die-hard fanboiz for specific maps, and we all know fanboiz make shitty friends.
Fortress survival was pretty awesome.
I'm glad you liked it! It was worth the effort.

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2011, 11:23:55 pm »

To everyone here who says the keep losing CD keys and CD copies:
You can authenticate the game if you have the key by going to your battle.net account, going to warcraft 3 and redeeming the game with your code. That way if you ever lose your key or CD ever again, you can install it from battlenet.
I would link it, but you need a battle.net account for it and I can't link the place for several different accounts.
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2011, 01:25:28 am »

To all you gents who lost your CD keys, I can run a LAN emulation game and direct you all to the appropriate software to make it work.

Also if you lost the CD as well, just get a disc image from someone.  It's not like its pirating, you already payed for the bloody game.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2011, 01:29:55 am »

Pointing toward appropriate software would be nice :P

Can't play tonight, but definitely later in the week (like, when the sun comes up, ha.). I'd be down for just about anything, but the old fire for AoS and hero def. (Enfos!) has definitely been sparked a bit by an initial rummage through hive workshop's top rated stuff.

Anyway, Deon~ There some version mismatch or something with the stuff you linked? Some of it works with (what I'm guessing is) the latest patch (126a), but some of it doesn't.

I vaguely remember one of the latest patches (oh-so-late in WC3's life) basically fragged compatibility with maps built before hand (90+% of them, probably :-\). Is that's what's going on?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Thrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2011, 01:39:08 am »

I'm thrilled to see that there is a nice sized group of possible players.

I also look forwards to trying out most of those maps.

It would be fun to have somebody host a few games sometime soon for all of us to play. Though that leaves the question of should it be over the battle.net or some internet/lan program like hamachi? There is also the question of when: should we plan for some time soonish? I know QuakeIV has offered to host Thursday(s), or would it work better to wait a while? Assuming of course there is enough interested people willing to play.

As for maps I quite like a Night of the living dead map. Lately I've been reworking it to be a bit more fancy, and interesting at least for me.

I also like the World Zombie Wars map which may have been mentioned already.

I also really enjoy those survival maps, id love to be able to play some of those again with a decent number of players.

For those of you using the battle.net my username is thorin854  on the European server. and Thrain on the two American servers.   

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2011, 01:44:46 am »

To play without battlenet you'll need two lumps of software.  VPN software, and then a LAN emulator to get warcrafts LAN protocol to work over a VPN.

Heres a LAN emulator list .

Heres Yet Another Warcraft LAN Emulator from that list, I have verified that it works.  All LAN emulators should be cross compatible however, so feel free to pick and choose, or go bugger off to another site and find your own if you like.

Heres Hamachi , a nice piece of VPN software that I already have configured on my hardware.  My hardware matters because I have a fairly extensive archive of old games.  I'll give any interested people connection data via PM since I'd rather not be ripped to shreds by some random asshole getting into my HD from the network. 

If you have any lengthy questions let me know via PM, if there are common questions I'll make a post in the thread for reference.  The PM thing was a good idea by the way, UltraValican, I hadn't thought of doing tech support there.

EDIT:  Also Thrain, I suggest you add a "both" option, because I can run both simultaneously.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 01:48:01 am by QuakeIV »
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Azurestrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2011, 02:09:02 am »

I'm a little sad no one has mentioned any of the Preschool Showdown-styled maps.

A popular variant on WCIII is Civ Wars, which has gone through many different versions.

These games have a number of teams, usually two, fighting against each other to take down the other team's headquarters.

The main gimmick though, is that you almost never control any of your military units, all you control are your builders and buildings. Typically, you create buildings that spawn units at set amounts of time that automatically attack move towards your enemy with a scripted path.

There are a lot of variants that change things up, but they all center around the automated military from created buildings idea. Of the custom maps gone 'trendy' I am quite sad the Preschool Showdown-style of games haven't really taken off compared to TDs and AoS styled maps.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2011, 02:42:35 am »

Eh, those were pretty fun.  Personally I prefer games where I am more hands-on with my troops.  I'd play it though.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2011, 03:14:05 am »

I agree. They were neat, but I much rather play something you can influence much more.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2011, 06:15:21 am »

Me and my three pals still play NOTD Aftermath all the damn time.

I actually had stuff added to that map back when the creator was around.

I think she disappeared because she's a rich businesswoman now or something.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10