Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Only in dwarf fortress (SPOILERS)  (Read 4505 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Only in dwarf fortress (SPOILERS)
« on: December 11, 2011, 04:48:56 pm »

I set up a huge hall full of upright spikes to kill the clowns as they entered my fortress, and it was working very well.  Suddenly, an announcement - a ghost has possessed a random mechanic! Eh, whatever, I think, carefully managing the war on the clowns.  I start worrying when clowns start slipping through the corridor of death, and I notice that the spikes aren't moving! Checking back to the lever controlling them, I discover that the possessed mechanic has disassembled the control lever and has begun hurling its mechanisms at passerby. Sigh.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
Re: Only in dwarf fortress (SPOILERS)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 04:58:28 pm »

any of the candy vendors has deadly gas or somethin like that?
your only choice now is to seeal that passage and get enough goblin prisoners to fight hell.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 06:00:22 pm »

Sometimes I almost believe that this game has conscience.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 06:03:07 pm »

A malign conscience that believes suffering is the ultimate expression of good, bu yes, a conscience.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 07:14:05 pm »

A malign conscience that believes suffering is the ultimate expression of good, bu yes, a conscience.
It's alive. It's completely insane, sadistic, and compulsive, but alive. IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIVE!

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 08:42:13 pm »

I want to know why he dissembled it?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 09:22:29 pm »

"Possessed by a malevolent ghost" isn't reason enough for you?

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 09:50:22 pm »

My thoughts were along those lines as well.  Really, of all the things in the entire fortress to destroy, he just happens to blow up the one construction absolutely necessary for the survival of the entire fortress?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 09:54:40 pm »

My thoughts were along those lines as well.  Really, of all the things in the entire fortress to destroy, he just happens to blow up the one construction absolutely necessary for the survival of the entire fortress?
Dwarf Fortress is a troll, we all know that.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 09:58:38 pm »

Probably smashed it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 09:59:37 pm »

Murphy's law.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 10:19:04 pm »

Toady's Law. In every fort, there is either by accident or design one thing which can happen — shouldn't ever happen, but can happen — which will lead to calamity and screaming. That thing will happen at the worst possible moment. Doors and butterflies, and all that.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 10:31:22 pm »

Toady's Law. In every fort, there is either by accident or design one thing which can happen — shouldn't ever happen, but can happen — which will lead to calamity and screaming. That thing will happen at the worst possible moment. Doors and butterflies, and all that.
Dwarf Fortress: Teaching you to minimize your losses, by being a sadistic, omnicidal sociopath.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 11:40:03 pm »

If DF is a troll why are so few of the forum-goers trolls?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 12:40:18 am »

If DF is a troll why are so few of the forum-goers trolls?

To troll well, you need to know something about what you're trolling people about. the Difficulty and the mental state of most of our forum-goers keeps them at bay.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.
Pages: [1] 2