Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Epicmafia: A game based on social skills and psychology  (Read 8724 times)

GaryOak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Epicmafia: A game based on social skills and psychology
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 11:40:21 am »

Assuming you played in training? Training is really a bit of a misnomer at this point, because at a fundamental level it's quite impossible to have a training lobby without experienced players actually going into it to teach people the more advanced concepts. I mean even in newbie forum games you have the mod to explain things, and often have varying levels of experience between the players. There's a lack of comp community involvement in training, to its own detriment.

If you're looking for more seriousness you have to make your way to comp, which has its own set of problems, and can be a bit of a turn off because of the level of antagonism and toxicity. But it's probably closer to what you're looking for.

Full Disclosure: I've been on Epic Mafia for 3+ years, and was a moderator there.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2012, 12:23:12 pm »

Assuming you played in training? Training is really a bit of a misnomer at this point, because at a fundamental level it's quite impossible to have a training lobby without experienced players actually going into it to teach people the more advanced concepts. I mean even in newbie forum games you have the mod to explain things, and often have varying levels of experience between the players. There's a lack of comp community involvement in training, to its own detriment.

If you're looking for more seriousness you have to make your way to comp, which has its own set of problems, and can be a bit of a turn off because of the level of antagonism and toxicity. But it's probably closer to what you're looking for.

Full Disclosure: I've been on Epic Mafia for 3+ years, and was a moderator there.
Let me waste several hours trying to get to comp. Problem solved!

GaryOak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 01:18:05 pm »

More like weeks, actually. I know, doesn't really soften the blow does it?

There used to be a single lobby. Then a bunch of people bitched about trolls, and asked for either tiers or mods or both. tbh, I think the presence of mods reduces to some extent the utility of tiers, but that's just me.

I'm not saying you should play there if you don't enjoy it, certainly if I was a new player and I entered I'd probably have the same sense of disillusionment you do. I'm just pointing out things are somewhat better on the other side of the fence for those who might wonder about the benefits vs the negatives of pressing onward.   

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 01:34:02 pm »

More like weeks, actually. I know, doesn't really soften the blow does it?

There used to be a single lobby. Then a bunch of people bitched about trolls, and asked for either tiers or mods or both. tbh, I think the presence of mods reduces to some extent the utility of tiers, but that's just me.

I'm not saying you should play there if you don't enjoy it, certainly if I was a new player and I entered I'd probably have the same sense of disillusionment you do. I'm just pointing out things are somewhat better on the other side of the fence for those who might wonder about the benefits vs the negatives of pressing onward.
Somewhat better does not justify it. There are simply better options elsewhere.

It'd be like me saying "Hey! That bed of nails over there? It's better once you get used to it." instead of just laying down on a mattress.

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 08:21:11 pm »

epicmafia can be pretty ok if you setup private games with only people you want to play with
but all in all its pretty worthless and should probably be avoided. it was fun watching that site slowly go down hill though.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.
Pages: 1 2 [3]