Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Epicmafia: A game based on social skills and psychology  (Read 8732 times)

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
Epicmafia: A game based on social skills and psychology
« on: December 11, 2011, 05:20:03 am »

http://www.epicmafia.com/home

Based on the popular party game made in 1986 by Dimitri Davidoff, Epicmafia is a social game designed around a battle between the informed minority and the uninformed majority. Players are given random roles at the start of the game and the goal is to fulfill your roles task, which varies. In the most competitive setups, there are 2 main sides: the citizens, and, of course, the mafia. The goal of the citizens is to eliminate all the mafia, and the mafias goal is to kill everyone bar their own members. There is also another side known as "third party" roles, who have different tasks. For example, the killer is tasked with killing everyone regardless of sides, or the survivor tasked with surviving (I had to ask about that one)

The game is split up into 2 stages. In the night stage, power roles (roles with significant actions like the doctor or any role that can do something at night like a mafia member) must make a move, and depending what role they are will depend on what they can do. Doctors can heal people if they are targeted by a killing role, mafia members can vote to kill one person, and cops can investigate (the game boasts 90 unique roles although competitive setups may use as little as 4 or 5).

The second stage, or the day stage, is where everyone who was killed at night goes to the graveyard. This is where the 'psychology' and 'social' parts come in. When someone dies, their role is revealed. As long as you live, nobody knows who you are (unless you have meetings at night like the mafia do) so you must convince players of your role. But in a world where people can lie, deceive and worst of all, troll, this is not as easy as you may think. In some cases it is best you don't reveal your role (for example, don't claim you are the doctor because the mafia will kill you in the blink of an eye) and in other cases it is best. However, if you are the mafia, if you claim your role the citizens will probably have your head. During the day stage, players discuss and decide on 1 person to be lynched (basically killed) based on what people have said and evidence they have collected, and the stages repeat themselves until a side has won.

There is a fairly active community around so finding a game isn't too difficult (waits usually don't take any longer than 3 minutes, although they usually don't take that long anyway) and I have had a heap of fun playing this game. If you want to play, I highly recommend you read the wiki for basic terminology, as there is a lot.

Tell me what you guys think of this game!
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Epicmafia: A game based on social skills and psychology
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 05:24:10 am »

It's a pretty cool game.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 01:04:10 pm »

In our mafia you don't get nightkilled on N0 for saying this is your first game. We don't even have a N0. Seriously, epicmafia sucks. Don't play it.

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 01:27:07 am »

Had a lot of really good games on epicmafia, had a couple awful ones too. One time, as a cop, I was lynched because a mafia member said "I'm a girl".

No, I'm not joking, they lynched me for arguing with a girl.
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 01:51:03 am »

I gave up on Epicmafia ages ago for repeatedly getting lynched for using capital letters and punctuation.

I'm not making this up.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 02:30:38 am »

In our mafia you don't get nightkilled on N0 for saying this is your first game. We don't even have a N0. Seriously, epicmafia sucks. Don't play it.
True, it is a game with a horrible community, but the game itself can still be good if you get a good match. For every bad match I had 3 good ones (and no that is not a good ratio, but the good ones make up for the bad ones in my opinion).
I really love the idea behind the game itself and also the hilarious outcomes you can get, but with the Epicmafia community, it just sucks really bad
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 07:50:46 am »

True, it is a game with a horrible community, but the game itself can still be good if you get a good match. For every bad match I had 3 good ones (and no that is not a good ratio, but the good ones make up for the bad ones in my opinion).
I really love the idea behind the game itself and also the hilarious outcomes you can get, but with the Epicmafia community, it just sucks really bad
Look here.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 07:53:21 am »

It's not like we don't have our own notorious people either.

*totally not insinuating anything*

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 10:29:09 am »

Bahahaha.

Oh god. Just had a funny game. The first night, a cop dies, then during the day, a dude says he is a cop. Like the second after the day starts, before he notices that the cop died. One mafia to go.

Then a dude leaves, leaving 3 of us. One dude outs himself as a doctor. Which was a really bad move cause I was the doctor. He was also really talkative, so me and the third guy linched the asshole.

Victory.

Was my first game. Pretty fun.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 10:43:17 am »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 12:12:23 pm »

We seriously do have a subforum just for this game, though.
It's pretty awesome.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 01:08:51 pm »

Instant gratification vs. long term forum play.

Not sure why you guys keep trying to say Epicmafia is unneccessary because of our Mafia forum.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 01:35:09 pm »

Not sure why you guys keep trying to say Epicmafia is unneccessary because of our Mafia forum.
IRC mafia at irc.globalgamers.net is better if you want fast-paced. Our subforum is cool though.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 01:42:00 pm »

I'm fairly sure qiuju is a spambot. All it did was copypaste a piece of the topic text...

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 02:53:43 pm »

IRC mafia at irc.globalgamers.net is better if you want fast-paced. Our subforum is cool though.

The channel is #mafia, surprisingly.
Pages: [1] 2 3