Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pitting hostiles help?  (Read 852 times)

Goodwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pitting hostiles help?
« on: December 10, 2011, 10:01:27 pm »

So I tried pitting a Giant Toad. Dont ask why. The pit was fairly deep, the pitting zone was set to only the square that was open space (the pit). I select the Toad to be pitted in the pit/pond menu, but when My dwarf went to pit him, the toad broke free and almost killed him. How do I pit said creatures? Preferably without complicated setups like the mass pitting stuff on the wiki.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pitting hostiles help?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 10:10:46 pm »

Easiest way to be sure is to Build the cage in the tile immediately adjacent to the pit.  That way the pitting dwarf doesn't have to drag the hostile at all, they just open the cage and toss them in.

Also: always build Hatch Covers over your pits, especially if you'll ever be pitting multiple creatures at once or when there are already hostiles in the pit.  The reason for this is that when the dwarf goes to chuck the creature in the pit, it looks down the hole *into* the pit and gets scared of the hostiles already in there -- interrupting his job and releasing the creature he was carrying.  The Hatch Cover prevents this from happening.

--nomad_delta

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 10:23:04 pm »

Mind you, this doesn't always work. I've got a mass pitting system set up, mostly to get rid of the huge numbers of wild giraffes and rhinoceroses I catch by accident, and there's about a one in three chance, if I order an animal dumped, that it will break free and start kicking people.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 10:33:50 pm »

True -- large animals and Goblin Thieves seem to be the worst for this, very especially Goblin Master Thieves which seem to almost always escape.  When pitting these sorts of things I always station a military squad in the room to mop up in case anything gets away.

--nomad_delta

UnHerpers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 10:40:29 pm »