Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27

Author Topic: Tribes:Ascend - Free to play FPS with ludicrous speed  (Read 36227 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Tribes:Ascend Beta
« Reply #180 on: December 19, 2011, 06:17:01 pm »

I had an epic moment playing as a juggernaut. I had just blew the enemy generator and was flying up to the flag room on the snow map with the two big tower bases, and both sides were at 4 and were stuck there for ages with the time already going into overtime and the game about to tie soon. The enemy team secured their flag and a guy was flying in for the capture. I flew in and one shot the guy with the spinfuser a split second before he capped it and recovered our flag (he was right in front of me, our flag literally flew into me without me moving), and wound up nabbing the enemy flag in the process. I figured what the hell and took off. I made it to the central area where theres 2 caves with the little pit area between them, and had 4 guys right on my tail. I wasn't going that fast since I was in heavy armor, so they were all right on top of me and pegging me with assault rifles and such as I flew across the crater area, apparently heading straight for the cave.

Instead of flying through the cave, I stopped right before it and threw a grenade. Quad kill. All four of my pursuers skiied into the cave right on top of the grenade and blew up, then I just flew right over their corpses and got inside our base with hardly any health left. I flew up the tower right over the flag room and just hovered there above our flag post, killing two more guys with the mortar as they came to get me. My team secured our flag and I dropped to capture right before their team grabbed ours again, winning the game with only a minute to spare before the tie was announced.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 19, 2011, 06:20:05 pm »

The survivor perk has to be my favourite, of the 3 i have... 2 of which are the standards : D, 20% health and energy back from picking up ammo... its so goood

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 19, 2011, 06:53:20 pm »

If we're beta-testing, then why is it that the only feasible way to test classes for fun and balance is to spend hours upon hours playing or shell out cash?

-grumblegrumble-

Because we're "beta-testing" aka marketing.

KG

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 20, 2011, 12:21:42 am »

Doesn't take THAT long to unlock stuff. By the time I got one class maxed on xp (Infiltrator) I had enough tokens to buy another full priced one. Got the Sentinel, although the class seems kinda boring in comparison to infiltrator. Sure, I have a long range rifle that hits instantly with no travel time on the bullet - but sneaking up to people and sticking a grenade to the back of their head is much more satisfying.

That or sniping enemy snipers with the silenced pistol. They usually don't react fast enough to dodge the bullets, only takes 3 hits to kill them and the pistol is accurate at range. They just stand there aiming at someone and pop pop pop dead. It's funny, snipers can be hiding up on some hard to reach spot with jammers and claymores around to protect them from infiltrators, and many of them take the knife perk to keep from being one shot by knives, but they never seem to expect the silenced pistol kill from 100 yards away.

I wound up playing the ranger until unlocking the survivalist perk, then using the tokens from that to buy infiltrator and playing infiltrator from then on, unlocking several other classes along the way but never finding one as entertaining as infiltrator.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 20, 2011, 01:58:01 am »

Doesn't take THAT long to unlock stuff. By the time I got one class maxed on xp (Infiltrator) I had enough tokens to buy another full priced one. Got the Sentinel, although the class seems kinda boring in comparison to infiltrator. Sure, I have a long range rifle that hits instantly with no travel time on the bullet - but sneaking up to people and sticking a grenade to the back of their head is much more satisfying.

I've played 6-10ish hours so far, and have yet to unlock Infiltrator or any of the other "full price" classes.  I've been mostly playing team deathmatch, so that might be part of it.  However, judging by the number of people running around as the soldier class, either that class is vastly overpowered, or not many other people have unlocked other classes.

Either way you look at it, it means class balance in the beta has problems.  Either soldier is overpowered, or not enough people have access to other classes to adequately test.

KG

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 20, 2011, 07:07:15 am »

Goddammit, I suck at this game. Once I got 1 kill and two assists while one of my teammates got around 30 kills and half that assists :(

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 20, 2011, 11:53:16 am »

I think the thing with the soldier class are that the spinfusor and the pistol are simple, understandable, easy to use weapons. The spinfusor is essentially a rocket from any other game. The pistol is as simple as you can get. Point at enemy, click, they take damage.

The next few things up, the grenade launcher, assault rifle and the heavy armor all have a serious learning curve to them. The grenade launcher, not so much, but the assault rifle is nowhere near a simple as the pistol and the heavy armor takes some getting used to and serious proficiency with skiing in order to have any sort of mobility.

I do think things are a bit over priced if they want them tested, but I'm going to guess they think they have the balance down now. The beta period they're in now is simply stress testing their network and community features and I doubt we'll see much change between now and "release" except maybe cosmetic. I think despite being a beta, they've already moved into their "for profit" mode.

Also, apparently anyone can get a beta key now just by liking the game on facebook. Yeah, I hate doing that too, but whatever.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 20, 2011, 12:01:54 pm »

I think it pretty much ceased being a beta a while ago, now they're just milking the "closed beta" process as a marketing gimmick.

Did they ever go back up on the classes? When I unlocked several of them they said "Look!" on them and didn't cost that many tokens. My guess was they had it lower on classes they wanted to test. Infiltrator was fairly cheap when I unlocked it. I think Juggernaut only took like 900.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 20, 2011, 07:19:39 pm »

I finally started getting into this. Bilbo991 and Imofexios, do you guys still want keys cause I got 2 just laying around.
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 20, 2011, 09:06:38 pm »

I finally started getting into this. Bilbo991 and Imofexios, do you guys still want keys cause I got 2 just laying around.
Damnit, I wanna ask so hard but if I can't get that rig fixed it'll be a waste...

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 20, 2011, 09:46:17 pm »

I already got 1, but can I have one for my friend cause I gave my two away to people on the forum?
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 22, 2011, 03:27:32 pm »

For some reason I just recieved a beta kay. Admittiedly I currently have no internet with which to participate in this beta, buth otherwise how is the game? I have a feeling that I might be interested in the game.

EDIT: Read the entire thread. The game seems kinda interesting, but I'm not really that interested in hyper-fast shooters (My reflexes can be kinda meh at times, and I can never lead my shots properly). Eh. Maybe I'll just wait till I get my internet back to try it out.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 04:01:20 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 22, 2011, 06:31:59 pm »

Don't bother unlocking the infiltrator with the recent patch.

The silenced pistol used to kill light suits in 3 shots, and heavies in probably 12 or so. Now it takes at least twice that, if not more. And the SMG is a bit more accurate, but the damage from it isn't that great either. It's better than the pistol, but still doesn't even compare to other classes weapons.

Saw an enemy sniper, and started popping him with the pistol. I got 3 shots into him before he started moving, then another when he flew off. Chased him to try to finish him off, but another sniper shot me while stealthed thanks to your skii lights showing even while stealthed. Might have done better with the SMG, will have to try that next time I see a stationary sniper.

I then went to the enemy base, blew the generator, and a heavy came to repair. I stabbed him in the back, doing about half his health in damage, then emptied two clips of my SMG into him while running and jetpacking circles around him. Almost killed him, but he finally caught on and fired a single spinfusor into the floor and killed me with the splash damage while I was putting a third clip into the SMG.

The melee backstab still works OK on lights and mediums if you can get up to people as long as they don't have the perk that reduces melee damage, but the main guns are pretty terrible. Dieing to one melee shot makes stabbing some people rather dangerous, earlier I backstabbed a sniper who survived due to the perk and immediately flipped around and one shotted me with melee before my character even put away his sword after the melee swing.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 22, 2011, 10:34:08 pm »

And computer fixed!

<_<==>_>

I'm up for getting a key again. 03

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 22, 2011, 10:38:06 pm »

And computer fixed!

<_<==>_>

I'm up for getting a key again. 03
I'll send you one.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27