Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27

Author Topic: Tribes:Ascend - Free to play FPS with ludicrous speed  (Read 36240 times)

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Re: Tribes:Ascend Beta
« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2011, 03:33:38 am »

Holy crap do I suck at this game.. I'd have an easier time at wrestling a fully grown dragon with a dozen unskilled dwarves than trying to hit anyone in this game.  O.o

/can't lead the target when the target is moving at 110 km/h

He thinks 110 km/h is fast.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 12, 2011, 07:21:44 am »

Thanks, Hamel!

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 12, 2011, 09:46:49 am »

Holy crap do I suck at this game.. I'd have an easier time at wrestling a fully grown dragon with a dozen unskilled dwarves than trying to hit anyone in this game.  O.o

/can't lead the target when the target is moving at 110 km/h

He thinks 110 km/h is fast.

Well I've gone faster in the game, but still I can't hit shit.  I'm sure I'd get used to it after a while.. but damn..
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #108 on: December 12, 2011, 10:47:05 am »

I've managed to hit 200 in a medium suit in most maps, but I usually do around 150. It takes careful use of the jetpack to cushion falls to get really fast, to prevent the speed loss from falling when you hit bumps and catch air.

I once died from slamming into a rock at 200  ;)

Sadly my aiming skill at that speed is sorely lacking too. I've gotten a few kills while going super fast, but they were using the explosion weapons. I'm awful with the assault rifle.

It's apparently possible to kill people in one shot with the spinfusor, I've managed it a few times here and there. It keeps giving me a "blue plate special" message, heh. I think it requires you to headshot them with the disk, although getting a direct body shot does a lot of damage too and would probably instakill a light suit. I've even managed it twice with the ranger gun, having the projectile go up into the air and hit them. It's pretty iffy on that one though, since it fires in an arc and explodes at a certain distance even without contact.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 10:49:15 am by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2011, 11:06:02 am »

I think blue plate special is just hitting them once with the spinfuser and killing them. Its usually light armoured targets that happens too.

I find travelling too fast (like 200km/h) really really difficult to keep up, like initial burst of speed then I hover around 150, I can't shoot _anything_ that fast

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 12, 2011, 11:24:13 am »

Look, I am getting tired of this...
Please treat me like I am a fool, "Don't need to Aim to Win" when regarding the Spinfuser, please argue it with no hostility.

My Points.

While a Rifle or Pistol has Hitscan, the need to target the foe is harder when considering that the target is moving much faster then you can follow in some cases, can be in and out of sight when flagskiing and can in turn be just out of range.

Spinfuser. Aim at least 3 seconds ahead of target, shoot the ground. Boom, damage. Inside, shoot the wall. Boom Damage. Multiples, shoot the middle. Boom Damage.
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #111 on: December 12, 2011, 11:29:52 am »

woops, wrong thread haha, thats what I get for going between two.

Anyway, what I meant to post here:

Not arguing with you on that, it's hard to kill with the hitscan weapons. They're good for finishing people off, but that's about it. Even inside people have a tendency to jump all over the place with jetpacks, making it difficult to hit them while they can just shoot the walls and get you. Tech class isn't meant to be speeding across the map trying to gun people down though, they're supposed to defend a base and use their turret.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 11:34:30 am by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2011, 11:37:45 am »

If anyone could send a beta key my way, it'd be much appreciated.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2011, 11:39:50 am »

woops, wrong thread haha, thats what I get for going between two.

Anyway, what I meant to post here:

Not arguing with you on that, it's hard to kill with the hitscan weapons. They're good for finishing people off, but that's about it. Even inside people have a tendency to jump all over the place with jetpacks, making it difficult to hit them while they can just shoot the walls and get you. Tech class isn't meant to be speeding across the map trying to gun people down though, they're supposed to defend a base and use their turret.
Yeah but it doesn't help when there seems to be 3 Soldiers Playing Techys...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2011, 11:49:53 am »

Is it wrong if I like to pretend we are piloting mechs instead of soldiers?

Considering the series started out as a mech game (better than mechwarrior, too, imo, though I do love the new FPS style), that amuses me greatly.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2011, 12:24:54 pm »

I've tried to stop using hitscan weapons cause they're to ez.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2011, 12:38:26 pm »

As in this game or as in MW and CoD??? have you tried to hit a target thats constantly on the move with a Hitscan weapon like in Tribes Ascend???

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 12, 2011, 12:41:28 pm »

I'm trying to learn to use the shrike well. I've gone out about 6 times in it, the only kills I've got are from midair collisions.

The first time I used it I didnt realise the Y was inverted, so I crashed into the floor straight away.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2011, 12:42:19 pm »

As in this game or as in MW and CoD??? have you tried to hit a target thats constantly on the move with a Hitscan weapon like in Tribes Ascend???

In tribes, seriously, anything that can instantly hit targets in a game with this much speed is a little OP. They're fun sure, but I need to practice my spinfusoring.

Edit: Except sniping. That shit is hard.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2011, 01:09:22 pm »

I really want in on this beta, i want to preorder, but I think this is coming out on Steam and I just would rather have it on Steam. Too many games out there, Steam helps me keep my shit organized.

I wonder if you can activate it on Steam later?
I got nothing
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27