Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27

Author Topic: Tribes:Ascend - Free to play FPS with ludicrous speed  (Read 36232 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tribes:Ascend Beta
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2011, 07:48:26 pm »

Heavy units, like every other unit, are good if used in the right way. They do a more damage and they can take a lot more. The fusion mortar really is long range, but very very good on levels where the flag is in hard to attack areas. You can lob a bunch up to clear the area and go for the grab (or more likely for a pathfinder to go for the grab)

The lighter units are good at chasing people who grabbed your flag and surviving having the flag long enough to cap it.

Basically:

Heavy: Good for getting the flag and keeping others from getting your flag
Light: Good for keeping the flag and getting it back from people who took it.
Medium: Average at both.

One thing I do have a gripe about though: The doombringers Antivehicle weapon seems a little OP on the more wide open maps.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2011, 08:09:39 pm »

The only weapon I have a problem with are the artillery strike, there is just no way to avoid a well aimed one and it's insta-kill. I even got one shotted in a Beowulf by one.

Is it wrong if I like to pretend we are piloting mechs instead of soldiers?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2011, 09:02:21 pm »

Its not that I am on the ground its just the fact that as anything that doesn't use the Spinfuser gun and requires to aim fully, it takes longer to kill you then it would for you to kill me...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2011, 09:22:21 pm »

Honestly at this point I just think you are bad at it.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2011, 09:25:23 pm »

Honestly at this point I just think you are bad at it.
That may be, but just saying that someone is bad doesn't make up for shitty classes. Tech is seriously gimped and isn't even suited to full defense. His gun doesn't seem to have a big Hitscan scope compared to every other Hitscan gun, he is limited to THAT weapon only and needs to be constantly refilling in ammo where others have a secondary weapon to switch to, his turrets do pathetic damage and have small range not to mention low health. Heck his tree doesn't even support his role...

FakeEdit:: Still also doesn't take into the account that everything has a blast damage gun except him too. So yeah he needs to be perfectly aimed at moving targets. Being Bad has nothing to do with that...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2011, 09:27:44 pm »

is the Hi-Command thing necessary to play this game? just got a beta key but the software doesn't seem to want to run. error messages follows

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2011, 09:33:46 pm »

*Would love a beta key, if one is available*

I had one Tribes game a while back, and although it was already outdated even then, It was an awesome game.  This one looks amazing..
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2011, 09:43:19 pm »

Sent you my second key, Crustypeanut. I'm all out now. Have fun, folks.

<3

Whats your in-game screenname, so I know what to look for when I get on later?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2011, 10:38:50 pm »

I've been playing as Raving, btw. All of my usual names were taken, even TheMageLord. I've been using TheMageLord for like 15 years, for the last year or so someone has been stealing my name everywhere :D

I've been varying between an even k/d ratio, an absolute horrible k/d ratio where I die way more than kill people, and a sudden burst of awesome k/d ratio where I keep getting streaks. So much so that one game I got 2000 xp and the next I got 200, heh. I keep changing classes though. Have the cheap light one and cheap heavy one unlocked, but didn't care much for either, so I keep alternating between the two you start with.

One thing that bothers me is, why oh why did they make the pistol that the soldier gets fire once per click? If you click rapidly its like the assault rifle, but you have to CLICKCLICKCLICK like your hand is having a seizure. Did they design the game to give people carpal tunnel? Can't they just make the damn thing fire if you hold the button down? Would that have been too user friendly?
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2011, 10:41:03 pm »

I've been playing as Raving, btw. All of my usual names were taken, even TheMageLord. I've been using TheMageLord for like 15 years, for the last year or so someone has been stealing my name everywhere :D

I've been varying between an even k/d ratio, an absolute horrible k/d ratio where I die way more than kill people, and a sudden burst of awesome k/d ratio where I keep getting streaks. So much so that one game I got 2000 xp and the next I got 200, heh. I keep changing classes though. Have the cheap light one and cheap heavy one unlocked, but didn't care much for either, so I keep alternating between the two you start with.

One thing that bothers me is, why oh why did they make the pistol that the soldier gets fire once per click? If you click rapidly its like the assault rifle, but you have to CLICKCLICKCLICK like your hand is having a seizure. Did they design the game to give people carpal tunnel? Can't they just make the damn thing fire if you hold the button down? Would that have been too user friendly?

Semiautomatic pistols are suppoesed to work like that. Otherwise it'd be a machine pistol, and that'd be slightly overpowered. In most FPSes you have a load of pistols that fire as fast as you click, I enjoy doing it...

Also Nevyn, if you're good at aiming you don't need any other weapon. The Tech of CTF maps is insanely useful, his turrets are a pain in teh ass constantly.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 10:42:46 pm by Nilocy »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2011, 11:06:23 pm »

Semiautomatic pistols are suppoesed to work like that. Otherwise it'd be a machine pistol, and that'd be slightly overpowered. In most FPSes you have a load of pistols that fire as fast as you click, I enjoy doing it...

So, uh. Does the game interfere with autohotkey at all? Because if not, yanno', there's a solution to this.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2011, 11:19:35 pm »

Also Nevyn, if you're good at aiming you don't need any other weapon. The Tech of CTF maps is insanely useful, his turrets are a pain in teh ass constantly.
They are more of like annoying then they are threatening... You can go through their range and track time and take only 2 hits, only if your hovering around it would you die from it. And if you are hovering around it, shoot it twice and its dead. Or just take out the generator, then they will deactivate. They are like Mozzies then a Wasp...
I have been testing the Hitscan of the SMG, kinda questionable. Pointblank is okish, moving away from the target and the bullets start acting like shotguns. And thats tapping and not holding it down. Holding it down might as well be praying to the Gods for a hit. But the thing is, if your chasing someone with the flag, they can turn around and two shot ya with a Spinfuser before you even get one tickle on them from your weapon. Even if you are moving around the fact that their Blast damage can hit you is the problem, cause they don't need to aim as much as you do to get a hit. This is my only complaint. Hopefully I will see something as my skill goes up, but right now, its underpowered...

EDIT:: Also by the looks of things, I still have a Key spare, I will give it another day just incase that person hasn't logged on for their Key yet before I hand it to someone else. I think its Bthmage (thats probably spelled wrong...)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 11:22:25 pm by Neyvn »

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2011, 11:22:38 pm »

I've played Fps's before on the pc, fast clicking doesn't bother me much :P  Good ol' Battlefield 2 / TF2..

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2011, 11:26:17 pm »

I'd like to try this, but I have a feeling I'd be bad at it.

I like big battles ... how many people are on each team in this? It looks well suited to larger numbers of players, but I've never played Tribes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2011, 11:27:57 pm »

I've played Fps's before on the pc, fast clicking doesn't bother me much :P  Good ol' Battlefield 2 / TF2..

It's not so much not being able to do it, as some of us getting-older folks really don't need to be tempting the carpal tunnel. Pretty much everyone everywhere needs to just implement autofire and save their users their wrists, really.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27