Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27

Author Topic: Tribes:Ascend - Free to play FPS with ludicrous speed  (Read 36229 times)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Tribes:Ascend Beta
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2011, 02:57:08 pm »

i'd love a beta key if anyone has one available.  been waiting for this game for a while (loved the original tribes back in the day)

Thanks in advance!
I'm just going to go ahead and say Escaped Lunatics probably aren't getting a beta key.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2011, 03:01:06 pm »

I hope no one misunderstood me.

While I said they simplified combat greatly by making weapons much, MUCH, easier to hit with... I wasn't saying it in a possitive or negative way.

It could really go either way
1) The ease of the weapons could destroy the calm but hectic strategy that made the original tribes so good
or
2) The ease of use could allow battles to be fought with a range of all competent players. Thus making battles more intense.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2011, 03:04:30 pm »

Tribes is not a MMO. Unless you counted all the other Tribes as MMOs...

One thing though, no bots at all. Not even in practice mode.

What do you mean it's not an MMO? You signed an agreement stating that it's an online fantasy role-playing MMO.

From http://www.hirezstudios.com/hirezwp/?page_id=796
Hi-Rez offers the Software Product as a massively multiplayer, online fantasy role-playing game service
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2011, 03:34:24 pm »

I tried it an hour ago and I must say I'm pleased with it. They're delivering what they promissed: a fast paced, skill intensive, competitive FPS. Some classes seem sorta out of place though, most heavy classes except the first one seem kinda underpowered or hard to use, and the engineer feels very silly because the stuff he builds dies really fast. My fav one so far is the scout (forgot the actual name) and the regular assault guy. You have to lead people with your shots with most weapons, altough there are a few "point, shoot and hit" ones, but they're not the majority. To make up for this, weapons usualy do alot of damage :o

I'm pretty happy with how's going, the maps are big and fun to play in, but I think some classes need some tweaking. The vehicles seem to work fine and are pretty powerful.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2011, 03:42:16 pm »

Woops, just sent Hamel my other key. Shoulda went to Dariush I guess. Hamel can send him one :D, all you have to do is download it to get the two keys.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Hamel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2011, 03:47:01 pm »

Woops, just sent Hamel my other key. Shoulda went to Dariush I guess. Hamel can send him one :D, all you have to do is download it to get the two keys.

Thanks a bunch! I'm downloading it now, I'll be sure to give Dariush a key. :)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2011, 04:11:38 pm »

The game is pretty fun. I played a few rounds and managed to unlock the juggernaut, but wasn't really that happy with it. It's just too crippling not being able to stay in the air as long. After switching back to a medium unit I found a guy playing a juggernaut, and enemy juggernauts were pretty easy to kill too because they wind up on the ground a lot. Their fusion mortar is situationally useful, but the fact it has a timer before it can explode makes it not so useful up close. I managed to tag a guy midair with one and it bounced off him and hit me heh... I did put it to good use on that map with the ships in the air though, they had 3 turrets and a bunch of guys guarding the flag and I bombarded them from below and got a double kill, but that drew attention and I got swarmed.

Still haven't found a class I really like yet.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Hamel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2011, 04:36:31 pm »

I've sent Dariush and Naio their respective keys.

Naio may be an Escaped Lunatic, but his account's over a year old and his posts are evenly spaced within that time.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2011, 04:40:52 pm »

could you add me to the beta key request list?
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2011, 06:14:01 pm »

I played a bit when beta started...
Only had 2 classes available, and they both felt very gimped. My exploding spinblades took 2 direct hits to kill an enemy, 3 or 4 near misses. With the slow rate of fire, slow projectile speed, and targets zipping around like the unholy offspring of Roadrunner and the Flash, I rarely felt like I was having any impact on the enemy team.
Meanwhile the pay-to-play heavy classes were 1-shotting me from full health with their exploding spinblades. Very much a play-to-win game.

I understand a patch has made it easier to aquire the other classes and some classes have been rebalanced since then...I might try it again, but there's little incentive. The only thing Tribes brings that other FPS games don't have is the ski mechanic, and that seemed to be doing much more harm than good.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2011, 06:49:47 pm »

Meanwhile the pay-to-play heavy classes were 1-shotting me from full health with their exploding spinblades. Very much a play-to-win game.

This is exactly why I didn't bother getting interested in this game.  Microtransactions and FPS's will never belong together.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2011, 07:00:05 pm »

This is exactly why I didn't bother getting interested in this game.  Microtransactions and FPS's will never belong together.

Or you know, its a F2P game, and its Free. And y'know Free games, have to have some source of income, and don't sport any unfair advtanges to those who havn't paid. Which Tribes:Ascend doesn't do. You're just terrible if you're getting one shotted by people who are better than you.

Also I have some keys to give out, 2 I believe. PM me if interested.

Hook me up ingame, Nilocy is the name

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2011, 07:03:23 pm »

It is at least better then those F2P games that try to pressure you into paying by making the gameplay without paying nearly unbearable... Like that company that does Maple Story.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2011, 07:38:55 pm »

I don't really see the heavy classes being that powerful.

Just testing them on myself in the tutorial thing, the light spinfuser does 550. The spinfuser the soldier has does 650. The heavy spinfuser one of the heavy unlockables gets did 700. It's possible the heavy armor blocks more, but I've yet to be one shot by anything. Takes several shots.

Now the fusion mortar thing does 1200, but it isn't easy to hit with that due to the delayed fuse.

Seems to me the starting classes are actually the best. They get energy packs letting them have more energy for flying, and their guns do pretty good damage.

I unlocked the pathfinder, but didn't find it that fun. Having health reduced to a mere 800 made me much more squishy, and the speed increase wasn't all that noticeable. I was regularly getting 150 on the medium, and about the same effort was giving me around 180. The little extra speed might help with grabbing a flag and trying to get away, but most games both flags are constantly taken and it's rarely possible to do a speed capture due to your flag not being there.

What I did notice is the drop in energy switching away from a class with an energy pack, the lower energy kinda sucks. Since everyone is using explosive guns you're better off having a little bit of extra flight time, because the first person to stay on the ground is gonna go boom.

Some of the classes just don't seem appropriate for the fast, fly-around skiing environment. Like one class gets a shield that uses energy to block hits, but I've yet to see a case where I'd want to turn a shield on instead of use my jetpack. I guess for attacking those turrets it might be handy.

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2011, 07:43:11 pm »

Okay weird...
After one nights of waiting, my "beta keys for friends" thing popped up and now have two spare keys. Who are we up to?
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27