Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27

Author Topic: Tribes:Ascend - Free to play FPS with ludicrous speed  (Read 36203 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Tribes:Ascend - Free to play FPS with ludicrous speed
« Reply #375 on: July 25, 2012, 01:33:47 pm »

Another jackal nerf, this time double edged - 16% less damage and 50% less knockback. I don't understand why that was necessary. It's hard enough to kill heavies with the jackal now (6 direct hits doesn't kill, requires 7 or 8), after the latest nerf it'll probably take 9 or 10, while they can one shot me with most of their bigger guns. And now we can't even kill medium suits with 3 direct hits. That was the whole damn point of a jackal - the ability to set a lethal trap that can take out medium suits if they aren't paying attention (it's not like the bright red glowing balls are hard to spot), and quickly take out idiots who stand still. And with the massive knockback reduction they aren't even good at moving heavies off the flag stand anymore. Now what the hell are they good for? I'm better off with my knife and pistol.

Now I guess I'll drop the jackal and pick up close combat and go back to knifing people, since the jackal is now a useless waste of XP. How many jackal nerfs is this now? 6 or 7? There should be a way to get a refund on a weapon when it's patched to the point of being utter shit. Maybe they're preparing to release a new "twinckal" gun for infiltrators that fires 6 shots at once, and they figured they would nerf this one to oblivion to make the new one more appealing when it comes out?
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 25, 2012, 02:17:07 pm »

snip
What.

WHAT.

Jackal is the most unforgivingly and shamelessly OP weapon to ever show up in T:A. Well, at least until the introuduction of plasma gun. It can be used for everything: setting traps, direct damage in a fight, arx buster-like delayed damage, shit like this, insane burst damage from stealth... Before the nerf there was literally no reason to ever use backstab, since Jackal deals more damage and doesn't have the 'stand behind' requirement and is generally less restrictive in your movement (i.e. you can additionally stick a sticky without having it fry your ass). It still way outclasses both stealthfusor and SMG. Now two or three more nerfs to Jackal and eight or nine to plasma shit and some semblance of balance will return to T:A.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 25, 2012, 02:55:34 pm »

lol

This game might start to be balanced if they added ff.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #378 on: July 25, 2012, 03:23:57 pm »

That would be very interesting.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 25, 2012, 03:58:48 pm »

I agree that friendly fire would fix a lot. And jackal was OP before the other nerfs, but I didn't think the Jackal was OP as of the last patch. It was way OP at the very first outside with the ability to tear people up with midair explosions, but the radius and damage was cut way down (with an extra -50% if it's not stuck to a surface before you detonate) a long time ago. Now the jackal projectiles only do 400 damage - stealthfuser still does 700 and bigger knockback. I believe the arx buster is 600, so that's 1/3 less damage than the nearest equivalent weapon (which I never see anyone using anymore now that their other guns are so much better).

I've been using the stealthfuser since the patch and doing way better with it than I was when I tried the nerfed jackal. Two quick direct hits and a medium is down, three if it's only splash damage. Jackal I'd need to land 4 shots direct, and a miss usually doesn't do damage due to the fact that most folks keep moving during a fight so by the time you've fired all three and detonated you usually only have a chance of hitting with the last one if you missed all three. And ammo - jackals burn through their ammo way faster than the spinfuser or smg. Post-nerf Jackal is just inferior for medium killing. Plus the way the jackal rounds just disappear without exploding if you die kinda sucks too, at least the spinfuser if I've fired before I'm dead I might still get a kill, on the jackal I have to fire and reload before anything happens.

Everyone cries over the infiltrator being able to one shot mediums, but it's only the idiots that stand still - folks who keep moving are very difficult to get all three of the projectiles on. All three heavy classes (which the infil is most often facing to do things like clear a flag stand or blow the gen) have weapons that can one shot infiltrators (and the mortars can one shot medium suits too). Friendly fire would really fix the mortars, though - right now you can mortar spam and earn tons of kills without any worry of hitting the half dozen teammates standing where you're shooting.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 26, 2012, 02:52:51 am »

Now the jackal projectiles only do 400 damage - stealthfuser still does 700 and bigger knockback.
Oh, of course. Except it's one projectile out of three, with the total reload speed being almost identical. So it's not 400 vs 700, it's 1200 vs 700. And those 1200 you can detonate whenever the hell you want.
I believe the arx buster is 600, so that's 1/3 less damage than the nearest equivalent weapon (which I never see anyone using anymore now that their other guns are so much better).
Arx Buster requires timing. If you miss with it, you have to wait for a reload (which is longer than in Jackal), than attempt to hit the enemy again (who can fire at you meanwhile). If you miss with Jackal, just detonate in midair. Besides, raiders are mediums while infs are lights. You don't see anybody complaining that light SF deals way less damage than Devastator, do you? Or stealthfusor less than light, for that matter.

Also, you can already play with FF on custom servers. Though they are mostly either empty or have some weird mechanic like 'free orbstrikes with 0.1 second casting time'.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 26, 2012, 10:35:10 am »

Now the jackal projectiles only do 400 damage - stealthfuser still does 700 and bigger knockback.
Oh, of course. Except it's one projectile out of three, with the total reload speed being almost identical. So it's not 400 vs 700, it's 1200 vs 700. And those 1200 you can detonate whenever the hell you want.
I believe the arx buster is 600, so that's 1/3 less damage than the nearest equivalent weapon (which I never see anyone using anymore now that their other guns are so much better).
Arx Buster requires timing. If you miss with it, you have to wait for a reload (which is longer than in Jackal), than attempt to hit the enemy again (who can fire at you meanwhile). If you miss with Jackal, just detonate in midair. Besides, raiders are mediums while infs are lights. You don't see anybody complaining that light SF deals way less damage than Devastator, do you? Or stealthfusor less than light, for that matter.

Also, you can already play with FF on custom servers. Though they are mostly either empty or have some weird mechanic like 'free orbstrikes with 0.1 second casting time'.

Except the detonate whenever you want bit is only situationally useful, and not at all good for a firefight. Trying to detonate the first or second projectile when it's just right to hit someone before you're done firing all three either means you need to stop before firing the third, or you might wind up detonating the third before it's far enough away from you to not hurt you. If you barely miss all three you're likely only hitting with one of them, if it's a midair shot and you miss with all 3 but come really close with the last one the best you might get is 200 damage if you detonate it at just the right time when it's right beside them. If there was some switch for turning the Jackal rounds to explode on impact or a short timer instead of being detonated when you decide to the weapon would be amazing, but as-is I still hold that the stealth spinfusor is superior post-nerf.

Also, the jackal actually reloads a tiny bit slower than the arx buster - not faster. The reload on the arx buster is very quick, it's a pretty nice weapon. And the medium vs light suit thing makes sense, and before this latest nerf it seemed about right. But taking it even further just sucked the life out of the gun. Regular spinfusor vs Stealth spinfusor the damage diff is 23% less. Jackal vs arx buster the damage diff was about the same ratio as the stealthfusor, but now it's 33.33% less damage. If I could carry a 23% less damage version of the arx buster as a infiltrator instead of the post-nerf jackal I'd jump at the chance (it would basically be the pre-nerf jackal with slightly faster reloading and the detonating on a timer instead of on reload, which would be wonderful).

Takes about 3.75 seconds to fire, detonate, reload, fire, detonate two separate volleys of a Jackal. Two spinfusor shots can be done in 2 seconds. 1.75 seconds can make the difference between win or lose when you're facing someone who can kill you with two glancing shots or one direct shot.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 04, 2015, 10:00:04 am »

BREAKING NEWS:

2 years after development ceased, Tribes: Ascend is once again being updated. HiRez is pledging us a new map, + 'small changes' and 'continuing support'. And you know what that means. We're back on the air, shazbot!

New to Tribes? Want to give me free stuff and get free stuff while you create your account? Click here!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 04, 2015, 11:53:00 am »

But are there still people to whoosh past and miss?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 04, 2015, 11:55:47 am »

Ohnoes. HiRez. Not even bothering to get exited anymore :)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 04, 2015, 01:07:47 pm »

I just clicked this topic because I saw "tribes" and it was instinct. Was hoping to hear news of a full retail Tribes game, but apparently my head is in the clouds.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 04, 2015, 04:11:26 pm »

I enjoyed this game back when it was being worked on. But they milked as much money as they could selling new weapons until the game had way too many weapons, then dumped it - without fixing a bunch of long standing issues.

Guess we'll see if they actually fix all the stuff. I doubt they'll do too much work on it, it's probably just finalizing the stuff the team was finishing up last time before they yanked everyone off the project. I know they were supposed to be doing new maps way back when they stopped working on it.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 04, 2015, 05:41:27 pm »

I remember playing this a few years back. It was fun and I was sad to see HiRez's treatment of it. Hopefully things change this time, but there are no guarantees.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 04, 2015, 06:36:09 pm »

But are there still people to whoosh past and miss?

I'm trying. I really am. Got a thread pushing this game on every forum and imageboard I go to. I miss this game.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 05, 2015, 10:21:19 am »

Data on the next update (Out of the Blue Update) has been released to the public!

Some interesting stuff in there - looks like the meta will be entirely shook up. I encourage all y'all to read it. 
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27