Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27

Author Topic: Tribes:Ascend - Free to play FPS with ludicrous speed  (Read 36207 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Tribes:Ascend Beta
« Reply #360 on: May 02, 2012, 09:51:49 am »

For me it would be:
Crossfire - the atmosphere and epic fun to be had with brute's fractals;
Drydock/Katabatic - nothing special;
Sunstar - good bruting ground, nice bombardment spot on the tower;
Raindance - one generator entrance, too easy to set up a completely impenetrable defence, turrets are hard to destroy, but allows for easy bombardment and half-decent brute defence;
Arx Novena - too easy to set up a completely impenetrable defence, exposed flag, hard to get to the generator;
Temple Ruins - I haven't met anyone in the game to like it.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 02, 2012, 07:36:01 pm »

Katabatic - Probably my favourite map, relatively well balanced, good size. Only issue is the unsymmetrical nature of the bases results in odd advantages and disadvatages between the two team. BE having the better cap routes, only slightly though.
Drydock - Balanced. Nice setting and design.
Crossfire - Open, sniper paradise, interesting cap routes, slightly unbalanced at towards BE, those damned rocks.
Arx Novena - Offenders wet dream, defenders nightmare, balanced and quite enjoyable to play as anything but sniper.
Sunstar - I'm so uninspired by this map its unbelievable, bring back the old bella omega.
Raindance - Balanced; gen room is a major annoyance with me though.
Temple Ruins - Just no.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 02, 2012, 11:47:36 pm »

Crossfire is probably my favorite, due to the more open air feel of the map, with fewer things to hide behind and a huge number of ways to attack/defend. It's the only map I'll play a sentinel on.

Raindance is probably my least favorite, or at least my love/hate map. I love being able to solo defend the generator as a Raider with a Jammer pack, but I hate having to face similar defenses due to how awkward it is to get into the generator room. Also, for capping, the way it's set up can screw you over if you hit the edge of the tower with the flag by just a tiny bit (I've seen some pathfinders launched into low orbit because they hit it just right), and it feels entirely too easy to focus static defenses around something that is elevated with few easy routes to get to and little to no chance of your generator being taken out for any amount of time.

Katabatic probably comes in at a close second for my favorite maps. Temple Ruins is okay, if only because I've gotten good fast caps from those hills in the middle separating the two bases with minimal effort, and the little ramp leading to the upper area makes me feel like Sonic the Hedgehog if I either cap it from there, or cap while going there and shoot out the top.

Don't really like or dislike the other maps. They have the good and the bad associated with them. They really need more maps though, rather than "BUY ME NOW" skin packs.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #363 on: May 10, 2012, 12:50:42 pm »

Raindance is crazy. I managed to sneak into the enemy gen room early in the game one time and I kept their gen down for ages and got my longest kill streak ever, over 40 kills, using sticky grenades and the jackal before finally being overrun by 4 heavies rushing in all at once and getting me with a grenade. Then the rest of the map nobody ever got close to their gen again because two jugs stayed in there bombarding the entry repeatedly (although I still had fun running around blowing up engineers trying to fix their turrets and this one sentinel that kept standing on top of their base thinking he was safe by their turret).

That gen room definitely needs another entrance though.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 12, 2012, 01:56:00 pm »

What's everyone's thought on the new CTF map, Tartarus? I've seen some interesting new strategies, usually regarding bombardment from a very far distance with the tanks, but I kinda feel like it's a bit too big for a 16 by 16 man team, assuming you even have that many. That, and Hi-Rez didn't really learn from Raindance with their single entrance, pain in the ass generator room.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 02, 2012, 10:24:21 am »

I hate myself for necroing just to brag, but I couldn't resist.

Bonus points for guessing class and map.

Edit: also, hilarious in retrospect:
Goddammit, I suck at this game. Once I got 1 kill and two assists while one of my teammates got around 30 kills and half that assists :(
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 10:43:58 am by Dariush »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 02, 2012, 10:27:19 am »

OP needs to fix the title, this isn't in Beta.

But dang, Dariush. That is impressive.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #367 on: July 02, 2012, 10:53:35 am »

I've been playing a couple of matches a day of this - it's a nice game. I'm totally not good. Racked up over 10 kills in one match and thought I was pretty buff.

Then you come along and post this.

Screw you, sir, screw you!

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 02, 2012, 11:11:56 am »

Bonus points for guessing class and map.
Looks like the results you get playing BRT on Crossfire

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 02, 2012, 12:17:35 pm »

So, I just DLed the game and I did the skiing tut then after that I couldnt load into the target practice or any actual matches. Every time I get to the loading screen for the server it freezes. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 02, 2012, 12:31:28 pm »

Does Hirez now own the previous Tribes games?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #371 on: July 02, 2012, 05:00:09 pm »

So, I just DLed the game and I did the skiing tut then after that I couldnt load into the target practice or any actual matches. Every time I get to the loading screen for the server it freezes. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

That's strange, you'd think if it worked on the skiing tutorial it would work on the other stuff. Never had the issue myself.

You might try the stuff it says on this page: http://hi-rez.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/316/
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 03, 2012, 03:02:05 am »

Looks like the results you get playing BRT on Crossfire
Spot on.

Screw you, sir, screw you!
It's spelled 'fuck'. ;D

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 25, 2012, 07:02:03 am »

Yay, new update. They added clan tags, among a ton of other things.

...Is anybody even playing anymore?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27