Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: looking for a spaceship life sim  (Read 2842 times)

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
looking for a spaceship life sim
« on: December 10, 2011, 07:35:05 pm »

Hello!

Well, basically, im looking for a spacestation/spaceship life simulator.
I already know SS13, but its too..hmm... Animated for me.
I mean, im looking for something a little like dwarf fortress, but in a spaceship.
Like, you got a crew, and gotta take care of it. You can travel, explore and all that.
I already know Shores of Hazeron too, and i LOVE this game, but sadly it f**ked up my PC 2 times so i no longer take the risk of playing it (it will be useless to say "oh, try this and try patching that", thats exactly thoses advices that broke my PC several times(lets just dont talk 'bout it...))

Well, i dont think i have anything more to say....
Huh.. Yea, huh, maybe like you can design your own ship and all this too.

Well, thats it i think, throw ideas now gentlemens/ladies!
"I’m waiting for “Sausage Factory Worker 2011: Conveyor Belt Controller Edition”"
That's soon to come, im sure of that!

Just Cause 2 is like if Spiderman joined Al'queda.

yamgrenade

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels task: Is a Dumba**
    • View Profile
Re: looking for a spaceship life sim
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 07:50:24 pm »

You might check out blockade runner.

It won't have the features you're looking for fora long time but you might still like it.

XenonSurf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 08:13:24 pm »

There are *very* few really enjoyable space games made after 2003, the genre is almost dead. There are lots of pure Shooting games taking place in space, but for the genre of 1 player + spaceship + missions like trading, mining, building colonies, piracy etc. I cannot reccomend any recent games. Here is an uncomplete list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_space_flight_simulator_games

Also, all those games lack one central feature: you will almost never get away from that little seat of your spaceship, there is no combination of Space action + FPS, except:

Parkan (1997, but probably the best done so far; acceptable grafics and random setup of the game universe)
Parkan II (2005, better grafics, same story, but too repetitive actions)
Universal Combat (very complex, you MUST read the tutorial which may not be shipped together with the game)

which I personally consider the best ones, although in UC there is really a lot you can do, but the gameplay won't work well in the FP mode; it's the only game I know where the author recommends to cheat in order to succeed...

Otherwise there is:

Freelancer (2003); I like it, also the storyline, but the economy system is fixed
X-Series (X2, X3 Reunion)
StarWraith 3D Games > Evochron series (most recent space games; no FP mode)

Xs

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 08:28:26 pm »

You might check out blockade runner.

It won't have the features you're looking for fora long time but you might still like it.

Heard about it, but i dont really think i'll enjoy it.
Might keep it in my book tought, as it looks good enough. I'm just not looking for this kind right now.
But when i see videos about it, i may look for a Minecraft custom map based on a spaceship.. I know there's one, but i mean a survival one.

Anyway, ever heard of Poseidon XII? I'm kinda looking for that, but a little less individual.

Also, SS13 would be perfect if it had more persistant server (i dont recall the exact name, but its like the objectif modes without objectifs), but sadly there's only objectives server that dont lag or have people on it.

There are *very* few really enjoyable space games made after 2003, the genre is almost dead. There are lots of pure Shooting games taking place in space, but for the genre of 1 player + spaceship + missions like trading, mining, building colonies, piracy etc. I cannot reccomend any recent games. Here is an uncomplete list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_space_flight_simulator_games

Also, all those games lack one central feature: you will almost never get away from that little seat of your spaceship, there is no combination of Space action + FPS, except:

Parkan (1997, but probably the best done so far; acceptable grafics and random setup of the game universe)
Parkan II (2005, better grafics, same story, but too repetitive actions)
Universal Combat (very complex, you MUST read the tutorial which may not be shipped together with the game)

which I personally consider the best ones, although in UC there is really a lot you can do, but the gameplay won't work well in the FP mode; it's the only game I know where the author recommends to cheat in order to succeed...

Otherwise there is:

Freelancer (2003); I like it, also the storyline, but the economy system is fixed
X-Series (X2, X3 Reunion)
StarWraith 3D Games > Evochron series (most recent space games; no FP mode)

Xs

Well, like i just said, i would more like a game based on LIFE in a station/spaceship.
I have particuliar tastes, i like space games but im looking for something new. I know some space life-sim exist.
Oh and what i mean by life-sim is like your character live in a spaceship, like he got to work, eat, sleep and all that.
SS13 is good, but like i said, there's not enough non-objectives based server.

But thx for the tips anyway, might check those out!
"I’m waiting for “Sausage Factory Worker 2011: Conveyor Belt Controller Edition”"

yamgrenade

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels task: Is a Dumba**
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 08:51:56 pm »

Anyway, ever heard of Poseidon XII? I'm kinda looking for that, but a little less individual.

Can you give me a link? Google doesn't seem to find it.

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 08:55:20 pm »

Can you give me a link? Google doesn't seem to find it.

http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=18237.10
here goes...

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 09:22:18 pm »

sorry for the double-post, but i just wanted to say im still looking for a game :) (jic my last post made you misunderstand my status)

Inglonias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 09:32:46 pm »

This may be kind of interesting:
http://www.ftlgame.com/
This is my favorite part of Bay 12!
Zack, my boy, practicality - or the lack of it - has never stopped a Dwarf Fortress player before. You want to find a way to play this game without your eyes? Someone here with the know-how will be able to help you and we'll be damned if we let a little thing like the practicality of a solution get in our way.

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 09:41:43 pm »

This may be kind of interesting:
http://www.ftlgame.com/

yea thats kinda where the idea come from.
unfortunatly this one's not even in closed beta. They say they only give the game to "judge" like game magazines.
Aww, i hope we'll find one...

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 05:36:34 am »

I have been looking for a similar game.

I am pretty sure that the future won't have as much fighting in space as all of the space simulators currently on the market have. Why would parties constantly risk their lives in space fights?

The danger in space exploration should come from the exploration and the hostility of space itself, not from random space pirate trying to kill me.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 06:19:13 am »

Starbase life sim in the style of Theme hospital / Dungeon Keeper: Startopia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Startopia
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 06:43:39 am »

Startopia is an excellent game!

Also, Space Colony might be a game for you as well. It's like the Sims in space (or not on earth ;p).

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 08:17:51 pm »

When I was into trying to learn game programming, my target was to create a game set inside a spaceship. You should first create your character, spending points to buy attributes, traits and a rank in the Space Cadet Academy. Your objective is to simply survive inside de ship, much like SS13. The difference, is, that I was aiming at a more The Sims-like game. Your objective wouldn't be simply to do some tasks to keep the ship running, but you would also have to eat, drink, sleep and socialize with the other crew members. In this part, I would love to see a really amazing AI, with personality traits, and all this stuff. Aside, your crew wouldn't just socialize with you. They would socialize with each other too, which could lead to romances, friendships and rivalries. The game itself would generate events too, like SS13's blob atacks, traitors, syndicate members setting nukes inside your ship. A traitor, for example, could be generated because of a rivalry beetween the ship's captain and someone who doesn't like him or his way to lead the ship. Ah, of course. You would also have to accomplish your tasks. If you're a medic, you would have to research for cures while not treating patients. If a pilot, you would have to guide the ship to its destiny. If the engineer, you would have to maintain the ship's engine and other eletromechanical parts. And, of course, as the captain, you would need to negotiate with vendors in spacestations and planet surfaces, give orders, and oversee the other's works. Ah, I also had imagined factions. Your ship is supposed to belong to a faction, and, based on the one you belong to, you'll have allies and enemys alike. Well... That's the idea.... And, as always, sorry for the bad english, it's not my native language. I think it's understand-able, though...

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 08:35:33 pm »

Also, Space Colony might be a game for you as well. It's like the Sims in space (or not on earth ;p).

How the hell did this one pass me by?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 08:55:58 pm »

Just stating personal opinion right now but... That game should never be suggested, ever.

Worst game I EVER picked up off the shelves. The manual is useless as it refers to features in their abbreviated terms and explains key binds as 'the
  • key'. Not to mention the options screen crashes the game.
Pages: [1] 2