Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: This was wicked cool! Why did it happen?  (Read 1776 times)

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
This was wicked cool! Why did it happen?
« on: December 10, 2011, 06:04:52 am »

And furthermore, how can i weaponize it?

One of my legendary miners was outside digging the foundation for my masterpiece when the siege arrived and he was caught alone and unprotected against maybe 8 goblin archers, i figured he was dead and went to deal with other things. When i saw him walking in the main entrance, not dripping blood or limping or anything funny, i decided to read the combat log to see what had went down.

about 3 1/2 pages of "Urist Mcholycrap knocks flying crossbow bolt out the air" and "Urist Mcholycrap blocked flying crossbow bolt"

!!!???!!!

by the time they got to my soldiers, i think they were low on ammo (does enemy ammo work like that?), as they only got off another 2-3 shots each before the whole group of them was cut/smashed into bits. Also, after the fight, i found quite few bolts on any of the bodies.

so, about this miner.
why did he perform such amazing feats against these far superior foes?

and furthermore, could i set up a burrow or something that puts them right in the spot to block and waste all the enemy bolts?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: This was wicked cool! Why did it happen?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 06:17:24 am »

Mining increase agility and can be used as a combat skill.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 06:21:05 am »

Enemy ranged units have quivers with a set number of projectiles, just like your dwarves. Miners get fairly good physical attributes from their job, and picks use mining as their weapon skill. This results in a legendary miner being more badass than your run of the mill militia dwarf.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 06:25:00 am »

why did he perform such amazing feats against these far superior foes?
Because he decided to be awesome.

If you want him to stay there as bolt bait, just wall him in some fortifications and occasionally drop some food over through an access chute:

Code: [Select]
Side view:
        ____
       #> D #
       #X## #
       #X +MF         G
########X##############
        <##############
#######################

M = Miner on food stockpile
D = Food dump
+ = Forbidden door
F = Fortification
G = Ranged goblin

There is one major design flaw here: If the miner goes to sleep, he's probably going to get hurt.
A better idea: Replace the miner with some kittens. They're expendable and can catch the bolts with their bodies, so you get free bolts.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 06:47:24 am »

Shieldless humanoids, or even those that have shields, have a chance to parry a weapon strike with their own OR dodge/ knock a projectile aimed right at them if they are good enough.

Strangely, the mental image of a dwarven miner armed with a pickaxe and using it as a deflector weapon is starting to sound really appealing. For three whole combat pages.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 06:55:27 am »

Once a child who was fighting 1 demon, went insane without one single hit from the demon.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 07:30:04 am »

Legendary miners are basically the jedi to the goblin lasher sith. Picks kill anything.  Miners can use picks better than most veterans know how to use their axes.  Miners can always be made into a last minute berserker squad.  Just make sure you have extra, military picks.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 07:50:05 am »

Legendary miners are basically the jedi to the goblin lasher sith. Picks kill anything.  Miners can use picks better than most veterans know how to use their axes.  Miners can always be made into a last minute berserker squad.  Just make sure you have extra, military picks.

Quick and guaranteed master levy soldiers, hauling soil then the bodies later.

Also, using walls as blocking line of sight will get their ranged units nearer for the kill.

Once a child who was fighting 1 demon, went insane without one single hit from the demon.
Isn't this a bit off-topic?

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 07:59:38 am »

Isn't this a bit off-topic?

Off topic? On this forum? As if.
I think this thread evolved into feats of incredible badassery.

On a side note miners are rugged and manly, and with the proper workaround with miner-military service they make great front liners to opening up the circus. Their natural speed means they usually take out most of the weak material clowns, leaving the normal ones for your professionals.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Shmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 09:07:53 am »

Miners have untold power waiting to be tapped. They are the one wildcard in this game that's on your side. What am I talking about? Imagine a titan that annihilated an entire militia of 15-odd dwarves and was rampaging through the main hall of a fort. Game over, right? Not so - a miner one-shot killed it with a blow to the head. They may run and scream when baddies come but when push comes to shove miners will kill. Hard.

Armok forbid one of your legendary miners should go berserk.
S = k*log x(rope reed fiber socks)x

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 09:43:16 am »

[Disclaimer:Forgive my bad writing prowess, I'm not good at sentencing my words.]

^For those who want a concrete reason:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That is the information of the pickax from the Vanilla raws, as you can see, the bottommost line is the one you should look at generally. The contact area [1st value from EDGE] is small, like a pommel strike from a battle axe but edged. The difference between edged and blunt weapons [showing later on] is that in general, edged weapons will lop off appendages and cause bleeding and pain while denying the use of that appendage, blunt weapons cause cracked bones, nerve damage, brains through skull through helmets and bruising.

That represents the penetration size [4000]. Now I don't understand modding so I don't know how big it is but the value is exactly the same as swinging a short sword [the sword dwarves use]. The last number is the velocity multiplier, or how fast the attack is, may dictate how powerful a strike can be [need help here, using own flawed references...] which means that picks are a good weapon.

But now, compare that to this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now, ignore the name I put instead, the one in strikethrough is the real name. Just that we call them that for this weapon is one of the most powerful things out there.

The ultra-mini contact area and penetration size is like getting an injection, but with the doctor jamming a vaccine through your arm, muscle and bone and all. You will have time to scream though. This is because of the mind-numbingly fast speed attached to it, a partial bug maybe as the game has not yet established the parts of a weapon but treats it as the whole thing so you are really holding a syring filled with [pain]. Dwarves cannot make them, you will have to get them as gifts from the Goblins every winter [If you've been good].

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 11:19:56 am »

Urist McSpear stabs Urist McBersek
Urist McSpear shatters the skull, tearing the brain
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 11:44:31 am »

The ultra-mini contact area and penetration size is like getting an injection, but with the doctor jamming a vaccine through your arm, muscle and bone and all. You will have time to scream though. This is because of the mind-numbingly fast speed attached to it, a partial bug maybe as the game has not yet established the parts of a weapon but treats it as the whole thing so you are really holding a syring filled with [pain]. Dwarves cannot make them, you will have to get them as gifts from the Goblins every winter [If you've been good].
I think it's modeled as a rod of metal hitting point-on at supersonic speeds.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 12:36:22 pm »

Basically, dwarves can avoid melee attacks in three ways: 'parry' (depends on weapon and appropriate weapon skill), 'dodge' (depends on dodge skill), or 'block' (depends on shield and shield user skill). All three of those methods also work for ranged attacks, but the name for parry changes - 'knocked the flying bolt out of the air' is just the ranged equivalent to parry. Since a pick is technically a weapon that depends on the mining skill, a legendary miner with a pick is like a legendary swordsdwarf with a sword, with the accompanying high chance to parry/knock attacks out of the air.

In short, to duplicate this all you need are dwarves with weapons who are skilled in their use (preferably carrying a shield with shield user and dodge skills as well). It just happens to be easier to level up mining than to level up other weapon skills (unless you use a danger room). I still wouldn't put a legendary miner out there if I could use a decently skilled militia with weapon/shield/armor instead, but it's worth keeping in mind that a skilled civilian miner can do well in combat - even with no military skills - if you've no better option.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 12:40:18 pm by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 02:39:41 pm »

Legendary miners are basically the jedi to the goblin lasher sith.
There must be an image that shows this. An epic battle between Urist McSkywalker and Gobbo McVader.

Gobbo McVader lashes Urist McSkywalker in the right hand with his *red laserwhip*, and the part sails off in a bloody arc!
Urist McSkwalker loses hold of his =blue lightpick=.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: [1] 2