Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Collecting rain water  (Read 1922 times)

Pancho Cachondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Collecting rain water
« on: December 09, 2011, 06:07:45 pm »

I can't into it  :(

Is there a guide on how to make cistern or well where my humans can drink water? Every time they go to the river they drown or are dismemberd by infected.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Re: Collecting rain water
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 06:08:54 pm »

can only collect rain water in tiles marked as murky pools.

as such, best way for humans would be to get a pump from the river and pump water into a storage area with a well on the top of it.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Pancho Cachondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 06:12:56 pm »

as such, best way for humans would be to get a pump from the river and pump water into a storage area with a well on the top of it.

Is it possible to transfer the water collected from murky pools to a cistern in my fort?

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 06:14:30 pm »

a pump or digging into the side of the pool, putting a door their and linking it up to a lever might work.
if you dont put a door and lever the water collected will just spread out into 1/7 pools and dry up.
This may only work with small pools or in realy heavy rainfall areas.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Pancho Cachondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 06:18:54 pm »

a pump or digging into the side of the pool, putting a door their and linking it up to a lever might work.
if you dont put a door and lever the water collected will just spread out into 1/7 pools and dry up.
This may only work with small pools or in realy heavy rainfall areas.

Ok thanks, now I have a clear idea on how to do it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 07:06:15 pm »

River tiles also accumulate water.

I've once built a fortress inside a dammed large river... When the wet season came, it rained for 2 months, and well, water is !FUN!.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 10:34:08 am »

Hah! I built in a river, but then I flooded it after ensuring no leaks, with the only entrances being three towers sticking two z above the river.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 11:03:45 pm »

If you drain a Murky Pool, use the resulting tiles to collect rainwater, and divert that flow into a well, will dwarves get an unhappy thought from drinking the nasty water?
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 12:02:26 am »

Hah! I built in a river, but then I flooded it after ensuring no leaks, with the only entrances being three towers sticking two z above the river.

This is an ingenious idea... Who needs siege defense when you can just dam a river and build a tower inside it. Dorfy.

Shmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 12:31:46 am »

If you drain a Murky Pool, use the resulting tiles to collect rainwater, and divert that flow into a well, will dwarves get an unhappy thought from drinking the nasty water?

I don't believe so, since as far as I'm aware quality of water is a function of the tiles surrounding it.

In regard to draining murky pools, you can install a U-bend with a floor grate on the intake side to make an absolutely impassable intake system, provided the murky pool is sufficiently large. For maximum efficiency avoid draining it to past 2/7, so that no water is ever lost to evaporation (beyond the inevitable one tile in the U-bend and whatever is lost when the cistern is first being filled).

As a note, I've tried making a U-bend with a lever-controlled hatch on the intake side, but after closing it once and reopening the water refused to fill the U-bend despite an enormous, full 20-z intake pipe, which appears to be a bug, as it filled with pressurized water exactly as expected when the source of water above was breached with the hatch open.

You can also use a bridge which doubles both as flow control and a barrier, but a bridge alone will allow bad things to enter the water intake when it's open.
S = k*log x(rope reed fiber socks)x

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 08:06:30 am »

Unless you put the bridge in the bottom of the U-bend, Then open is flowing and closed will block stuff out.

Cute Bebilith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 08:07:34 am »

I like using wells 100+ z levels above the cavern water layer. Just need to be careful about what comes flying through it from time to time...