Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Not much metal?  (Read 3707 times)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not much metal?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 03:07:01 pm »

I think it has not been already mentioned: you can just keep digging down and mine the blue stuff. It's always there if your embark is bigger than 2x2. It's usually there even with 2x2.

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 08:17:59 pm »

If you find metal difficulties really frustrating, you can go back and download .18. You have to use water to farm, and it's missing a lot of great stuff from the newest version (fowl, rock pots, bees, clay, pasture zones, etc.). On the other hand, you can embark knowing you have sedimentary layers and iron. That's worth it for me.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 09:19:53 pm »

Or you could, you know, turn down metal scarcity and get more metals.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Faeryx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 06:14:15 am »

Turning down metal scarcity was already mentioned, and I did, all the way.
Give them a nice trap gauntlet to run, maybe a "dodge-me" trap over a 10-z pit lined with menacing copper spikes, so they explode into greasy goblin gibs on impact and leave the lovely iron bits for your dwarves to collect at leisure.

Faeryx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 10:18:22 am »

Well, I just found some native gold, I haven't mined any out yet, but I am assuming this is a good sign that I won't be stuck with nothing but galena and tetrahedrite forever.
Give them a nice trap gauntlet to run, maybe a "dodge-me" trap over a 10-z pit lined with menacing copper spikes, so they explode into greasy goblin gibs on impact and leave the lovely iron bits for your dwarves to collect at leisure.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 10:56:42 am »

those are not too bad. Galena and tetrahedrite will both supply some silver, copper, while not good, is good enough to hold out while you buy every scrap of steel, iron, tin, bismuth - if you want - and bronze. The lead is good for practicing some metal crafts, make bins and cages. The gold will make it easier to keep nobles happy and your dwarfs with a nice statue garden, but wont add more, except probably more ambushes and sieges.

We've all had worse embarks (galena, sphalerite and casserite, woohoooo), yours doesnt sound too bad
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 10:58:58 am »

Get dfhack and use prospector when you first start a fortress up.

Faeryx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 11:53:25 am »

No.

tj333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 01:54:48 pm »

Leather and bone armor until you kill enough goblins to make metal armor. It is not as bad as it could be.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 04:00:53 pm »

No.
Your choice.
Just don't complain when you don't have everything you wanted available. Iron is not a guarantee.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 05:27:33 pm »

Another thing to do is embark on a river junction.  Use tab in the embark screen, and look for major height differences between the two rivers. This pretty much guarantees you a) a natural waterfall and b) a huge chasm.  The chasm gives you a limited, but highly useful peak at the stone layers.  Its also a great defensive feature and makes for interesting fort structures. 

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2011, 02:49:42 pm »

The multiple biomes thing I mentioned above can work both ways.  Each biome can have different minerals in it.  So if you get multiple biomes you can check each biome for ores.

When selecting a site use the funtion keys (F1, F2, F3...) to check each biome out, IF they show up on the selection screen.  It will tell you if multiple biomes are in the site selected.  This shows you roughly where each biome is on the map.  Using the function keys shows you the information for that biome, including the rest of that biome on the map that you haven't selected.

Multiple biomes is why you might have one corner of your embark desert and the rest forest, or why some squares freeze sooner than others.

I often just show, NOT select, a 16x16 embark and shuffle through the biomes.  I then make the embark square smaller and move it to the noted area.
Pages: 1 [2]