Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Good, tile-based, turn-based strategy games that *aren't* Civ?  (Read 23750 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good, tile-based, turn-based strategy games that *aren't* Civ?
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2011, 02:29:10 pm »

Hmm, Wesnoth isn't quite what I was looking for, but it sure is fun.

Refining my question a little bit, games in the 4x genre as well as turn based an tile based? I understand this may be too specific. Also, I shall have a look at GalCiv, thanks :)
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2011, 02:33:55 pm »

the Master of Orion Games from Good Old Games (at least up to MoO2. i heard 3 sucked)

4x, space-based, turn-based, and quite fun unless you have a certain enemy enabled

Sword of the Stars. same as above, but with ship customization

all teh civ games

alpha centauri

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2011, 02:59:55 pm »

This sounds really overly picky, but are there any that aren't space-based? That seems to be the prevailing theme :P
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2011, 03:10:04 pm »

Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri isnt set in space but on a planet on the outer rim of Alpha Centauri(shockingly).

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2011, 03:23:58 pm »

AC's also a Civ game, though. A bit more interesting than the earlier ones, but still a Civ game.

As for not Sci-fi 4x games... I know they're out there, but I can't recall any of the top of my head that hasn't already been recommended. There's definitely some historical-type ones (Paradox games, maybe? Something like that.) I'll throw a second thumbs up behind Dominions 3, though.

You could check through this and (especially) this.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2011, 03:39:16 pm »

I'll agree with you that AC is a Civ game with more interesting features, but i find the philosophy and the technology more interesting than the Civ games, and some of the quotes are rather mind boggling.

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2011, 08:23:22 am »

Imperialism. The game is about building up a great power through trade and warfare to become world dominating. It's set in a sort of 19th to early 20th century world. Though armies and navies move around region-by-region, land combat is tile based, possibly hexagonal. Non-combat land units move around in an effectively hexagonal grid on the world map, but the distance they can move in a turn is unrestricted.

People's Tactics. It's more of a war game than Civ is. Hexagonal.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 08:30:48 am by Carlos Gustavos »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2011, 08:51:48 am »

I'll back the people who recommended Age of Wonders(2, with Shadow Magic expansion is my favourite).

Looking through your requirements:
hex and tile based - check
not in space - check
4x - check

Also, it's a distant cousin of Civilization, being sort of a remake of Master of Magic, which in turn was a fantasy-themed brother of the original Civ(as well as one of the parents of Master of Orion 2).

In AoW you're a mage residing in his/her tower, sending troops and heroes to conquer, raze or plunder cities, as well as build new ones if needed, with the goal of eliminating other mages doing the same. All this time, you and everybody else is casting overland spells ranging from troop buffs and damage dealers to game-changing global enchantments.

The highlights include:
-turn based kingdom management and tactical combat
-several races, magic types, heroes and items to choose from, recruit and find
-gods to follow and be rewarded or punished according to your in-game behaviour
-spell research, buiding upgrades, city growth, road and city building are all included

The game(AoW2:SM) shines especially in hot-seat multiplayer games. The single player campaign gets quickly tedious though. AoW1 arguably was better in this respect.

Also, I sound like a generic game reviewer.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 12:35:24 pm by Il Palazzo »

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2011, 11:38:09 am »

Hmm.... Europa Universalis doesn't really fit what you're looking for, but I've played that when I was in the mood for a non-civ strategy game. The campaign portion of medieval 2 is turn based, but I'm guessing that's a little more tactical than you are looking for. I'd also agree with the recommendations for Alpha Centauri, one of my favorite games of all time. Also, not sure if someone mentioned it but Master of Magic is lots of fun too. Not sure if I was helpful, but I hope you find a game you're looking for.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2011, 12:40:46 pm »

Elven Legacy and its relatives might fit the bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVFqeYEPM04

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2011, 05:05:59 pm »

Missionforce Cyberstorm is an excellent and relatively obscure turn based hex game from 96. You're the commander of a bunch of customizable mechs (called HERCs) and you're tasked with fighting off artificial lifeforms called the Cybrids, in addition to strip mining various hostile worlds in order to generate currency for HERC and pilot upgrades.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2011, 06:14:01 pm »

At a certain point I've found myself getting bored with the plain 'civ' concept.
The various community mods for CivIII and CivIV fixed that for me.

A few worth mentioning:

-CivIII: Double Your Pleasure Mod (aka RAR, Rise and Rule)
tons of new rescources, research, units, wonders, and civ specific specializations
-CivIII: TETurkhan Test of Time: Not too much changes, just a lot more civs, more civ-specific units, and a huge map of earth with accurate starting positions, or even pre-filled with cities if you so please.

-CivIV: Fall from Heaven II
Uses the CivIV engine to provide a whole new Fantasy game. Your units can even cast spells. If you like Age of Wonders, you'll probably like this as well.
Lots of different races/civs to play, each with their own style. Very well balanced mod, lots of work went into making this one. About 20 premade scenarios, most start locked. Also it is just as enjoyable to play on random maps though. Epic gameplay. In my personal opionion, this mod has given me the best 'non standard' Civ experience so far.

Oh, and if you want civ with hexes, I believe FreeCiv optionally can be played with hexes instead of squares. You might need to download a tileset for it to work.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 06:25:47 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2011, 07:22:37 pm »

I'll join the above poster in heaping praise upon FfH2.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2011, 07:24:19 pm »

Too bad it requires not only Civ4 but also its expansion "Beyond the sword".

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2011, 07:52:57 pm »

Too bad it requires not only Civ4 but also its expansion "Beyond the sword".

BtS if worth buying on it's own merits IMO.  Then again, you can always yo ho ho and a bottle of rum it.  I hear the last official patch even removes the DRM requiring a CD.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4