Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Good, tile-based, turn-based strategy games that *aren't* Civ?  (Read 23758 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Good, tile-based, turn-based strategy games that *aren't* Civ?
« on: December 09, 2011, 09:38:48 am »

I have a strong urge to play a tile based (preferably hex), turn based strategy game, but the only good ones I've found are Civ games and while they're awesome, I've played them to death :P

Oh great denizens of Bay12, being in possession of the best taste in games, which would you suggest? Free or paid for, I don't mind.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good, tile-based, turn-based strategy games that *aren't* Civ?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 09:46:31 am »

Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri is a pretty fun tile-based, turn-based strategy game, tough you might find it a little similar to the Civilization series. If you are interested in it you can buy it from GoG, thats where i bought it.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 10:01:30 am »

Good, hex-based TBS games? Let me tell you about Wesnoth. Which happens to be not only fantastic, but also free.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 10:05:17 am »

Can Wesnoth be single player now? It's been a while since I played it, but it pretty much petered out.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 10:07:52 am »

Can Wesnoth be single player now? It's been a while since I played it, but it pretty much petered out.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Petered out? It was just updated again 3 days ago. Campaigns are almost entirely oriented around single player, and there's a whole lot of them. Plus the fact that every multiplayer scenario can be played with or against bots. And then there's the mods...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 10:09:24 am by freeformschooler »

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 10:36:29 am »

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 might be suitable, it's got quite strong RPG elements though. You might be put off because it doesn't have the strategic level of epic strategy games. Still strategic and great fun.

Also, Master of Magic. I don't have to explain that.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 10:50:32 am »

If Heroes of Might and Magic works then Age of Wonders 2 and/or Shadow Magic would likely scratch the same itch. If you're looking for civ-style 4X, then maybe Colonization/Freecol or Elemental (kind of a dirty word, but it's gotten better with patches)? I feel like there's another one one the tip of my tongue, but I can't remember it. :-\ Unfortunately the tile/hex-based restriction gets rid of a lot of the space-based 4X games.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 10:55:10 am by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 10:59:31 am »

I'll also recommend wesnoth. There's a thread about it here:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=97026.0

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 11:27:45 am »

Panzer General and Fantasy Wars. Both hex-based war games. In Panzer General you follow and eventually rewrite history by leading ze germans to ultimate victory during WW2. Fantasy Wars is rather cliche fantasy, but fun and challenging none the less.

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 12:35:09 pm »

I would recommend Solium Infernum if it was not so pricy. It's a bit on the boardgamish side - there is auction bidding for resources and "pulling cards" but it's deep and setting is great.
If you are out for freeware there is a couple of free wargames that cover WW2 and years after. I believe they are mentioned in the list of free games on this forum. These are only for military stuff, though.
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 01:42:50 pm »

Also, for the more tactical side, Greed Corp is pretty much pure awesome. Hexagonal tiles with a certain height, and you build mining stations that reduce the height of all tiles around them by 1 every turn, earning you money in the process. You then use money to build troops, troops to attack and conquer territory, etc etc. The art and graphics are top-notch, and the gameplay is viciously addicting.

Definitely worth a try :)

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 01:50:47 pm »

Dominions isn't tile based, but it's pretty darn good for a turn-based strategy game.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 02:53:34 pm »

Master of Magic is one of my all-time favorites, though it might be a bit too much like Civ (or too dated) for what you're looking for. I offer it as an alternative anyway.

vodot

• Bay Watcher
  • I am here for the status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 03:05:48 pm »

Wesnoth.  Shameless plug.  Join the noob-friendly tourney as an introduction! :)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 03:28:23 pm »

The DS has a bunch of strategy games.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4