Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Good, tile-based, turn-based strategy games that *aren't* Civ?  (Read 23746 times)

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good, tile-based, turn-based strategy games that *aren't* Civ?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 03:50:10 pm »

Can Wesnoth be single player now? It's been a while since I played it, but it pretty much petered out.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Petered out? It was just updated again 3 days ago. Campaigns are almost entirely oriented around single player, and there's a whole lot of them. Plus the fact that every multiplayer scenario can be played with or against bots. And then there's the mods...

Petered out meant that it just reached a point where I couldn't do anything else. All the trees were harvested or something of that sort. Me and my opponent just sat around doing nothing.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 03:55:54 pm »

final fantasy tactics, either on the PS1, or on a emulator for the PS1 if you want to use computer, or the updated version for the PSP. one of the best tile-based games ive ever played

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 04:06:42 pm »

final fantasy tactics, either on the PS1, or on a emulator for the PS1 if you want to use computer, or the updated version for the PSP. one of the best tile-based games ive ever played

Until you get Thundergod Cid.  Then its easy mode.   :P

I did really enjoy FFT though.  I remember as a kid me and my brother both had different strategies for doing one of the later hardish maps.  He ended up turning his entire party into dragoons, and because half of the time they were off map, most of the enemies couldn't hurt them most of the time.  I made my entire party dancers, and we slow-danced the monsters to nigh-uselessness.   

It was cool that it let you try some crazy strategies and still be successful.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 04:09:54 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 04:12:36 pm »

Can Wesnoth be single player now? It's been a while since I played it, but it pretty much petered out.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Petered out? It was just updated again 3 days ago. Campaigns are almost entirely oriented around single player, and there's a whole lot of them. Plus the fact that every multiplayer scenario can be played with or against bots. And then there's the mods...

Petered out meant that it just reached a point where I couldn't do anything else. All the trees were harvested or something of that sort. Me and my opponent just sat around doing nothing.

I think you might have been playing a different game because Wesnoth is almost completely about combat and does not include harvesting trees AFAIK. You could have just attacked your opponent.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 04:17:41 pm »

If you can find it, M.A.X. was a good one back in the day.  Not hexes, but who cares.  Has the distinction of being one of few strategy games in history that was essentially two complete games - you could play it either Turn-Based or Real-Time, with all the mechanics in place to do both correctly.  I preferred Turn-Based though, because it was made in like 1995.

For more Civilization style games (M.A.X. is more like C&C et al), another rare oldie is Emperor of the Fading Suns, a Civ-like based on a roleplaying game that feels like a stodgy ripoff of Warhammer 40000.  It's not a fantastic game really, because the AI is timid and cheats like crazy, and there's a lot of cut features and undocumented mechanics, but there's a few mods for it that almost fix that stuff.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 05:44:27 pm »

Galactiv Civilizations 2 is a good one.

For turn based jrpg, I recommend Tactics Ogre.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 05:45:27 pm »

Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics are in many ways interchangable.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 05:46:03 pm »

A lot of the same people worked on both.  But Tactics Ogre, at least the original, was a little less forgiving.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 06:08:21 pm »

Disgaea(Duh)
Avoid Luminous Arc 2(The DS one) like the plague...
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2011, 06:08:28 pm »

I didn't make it more than 20 hours into Tactics Ogre....but I recall the Zodiac bosses from FFT being some of the most unforgiving fights in TBS.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2011, 06:35:32 pm »

I didn't make it more than 20 hours into Tactics Ogre....but I recall the Zodiac bosses from FFT being some of the most unforgiving fights in TBS.

Yeah the Wiegraf fight is tough.  But there's a 1 on 1 battle in Tactics Ogre as well.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2011, 06:38:23 pm »

Age of Wonders (any of the 3) may be an option.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2011, 07:29:15 pm »

By Odin's beard, Wesnoth looks incredible, I shall be trying that out tomorrow! Thankyou for that recommendation :)

And, to the one who mentioned Greed Corp: I adored that game. It was incredibly fun, but not reeaally all that deep.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2011, 09:00:03 pm »

I found a turn based game on one of my uni's computer, it's called Bihari Farmer Simluation. It's like a slimed down, turn based sim farm on  hardcore mode.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Had to starve purge a bunch of my children and grand children and adults to death because even with a field full of rice I couldn't feed everybody. I found it unintentionally funny.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2011, 09:56:35 pm »

+1 for GalCiv II. It's pretty obviously in the style of Civ (IN SPAAACE), but is different enough to be a new experience. If you don't mind simpler games, Advance Wars and the various sequels were pretty fun.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4