Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Underground dwarftropolis... any hints?  (Read 2096 times)

Banehallow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Underground dwarftropolis... any hints?
« on: December 09, 2011, 08:56:55 am »

Okay, so I have a ridiculous idea...

I want to dig out a large area and build a large dwarven city inside of it. The area is going to be 100x150, and 8 z levels high. I think this should provide me with a sufficient area to work with, but I'm not quite sure on how to handle a couple of things.

First off: How can I salvage my FPS with all that rock lying around? There are going to be almost 120000 rocks lying about, and I need to get rid of them, and I suspect that turning them all into crafts isn't going to be a great option either.

Second: It's going to be quite a large area to work with, so I need some nifty idea's for buildings. One can only have so many temples and noble palaces lying about.

And of course, if anybody else has attempted something like this before, could you give me an idea of the road blocks and/or troubles you have encountered during your own underground city?

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground dwarftropolis... any hints?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 09:01:02 am »

Answer the first: atom-smashing. Magma's good too, but some stones are magma-safe.

Answer the second: I've been into bathhouses lately. Right next to a meeting area I build a room with some wells along the walls — these are taps — and stockpile it with soap and unbinned cloth (i.e., towels; shut up, it's my fantasy). It's fun to watch my military dwarves, haulers and others who inevitably get gunked up with mud, vomit and ichor go in, bathe, leave puddles of yuck, then see idle haulers in the nearby meeting area rush off to clean the floors and restock the shelves.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 09:21:33 am »

I remember reading someone claiming atom-smashing didn't remove the lag of stones. Dunno if that's true or not though.

Banehallow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 09:23:10 am »

Hmm, that could be a problem. Also, wont it be hard work to atom smash ~100k boulders with designating every single one of them?

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 09:29:05 am »

Nah, you can use DFHack's autodump for it.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 10:43:05 am »

Build floors and rooms with it, you'll need it.
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 10:55:05 am »

If you're going to use DFhack, you might as well use the autodestroy option. You can even specify(with a bookkeeper) to only have the generic stone destroyed and keep the minerals.

Last time I dug up a spot like this it was sized the entire embark zone and, what, 10-15 z-levels deep? There wasn't much of a FPS hit either. You only have to start worrying about FPS later on when you got a whole crowd of dorfs walking about.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 02:22:28 pm »

Hmm, that could be a problem. Also, wont it be hard work to atom smash ~100k boulders with designating every single one of them?

Uh, you do know you can mass designate, right?

(I forsee a possible face palm here)

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 02:41:56 pm »

Mix things up with the buildings where some hang from the ceiling like stalactites. I began excavation on a fort like that before abandoning where all the buildings in a giant hall hung from the ceiling and were interconnected with walkways.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 02:43:52 pm by BloodBeard »

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 04:04:03 pm »

Mix things up with the buildings where some hang from the ceiling supports linked to unlabeled levers like stalactites.

Ess bedder dis vay.

Banehallow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 04:09:43 pm »

Nope, no idea. Face palm away.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 04:32:42 pm »

d-b-d

Note that even with mass dump, it can take a while for your haulers to get rid of a few hundred thousand stone. You might still consider magma flooding first - it'll get rid of most of the stone for you, so your haulers have less work to do, and.. it's magma, do you need another reason?

Also, there's an even better way when it comes to stone. d-b-d is great if you want to get rid of anything in a specific area, but if you want to.. say dump every piece of eye-hurting microcline in your possession, the stocks screen is ideal. Just go to z, stocks, navigate to "stone", and select the type(s) of stone you want to get rid of and hit 'd'.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 04:36:44 pm by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Banehallow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 04:33:35 pm »

Actually never mind that, found it (/facepalm)

Banehallow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 04:57:12 pm »

d-b-d

Note that even with mass dump, it can take a while for your haulers to get rid of a few hundred thousand stone. You might still consider magma flooding first - it'll get rid of most of the stone for you, so your haulers have less work to do, and.. it's magma, do you need another reason?

Also, there's an even better way when it comes to stone. d-b-d is great if you want to get rid of anything in a specific area, but if you want to.. say dump every piece of eye-hurting microcline in your possession, the stocks screen is ideal. Just go to z, stocks, navigate to "stone", and select the type(s) of stone you want to get rid of and hit 'd'.

But I love microcline :O

Also, I think that using autodump to save time might be better. If only I could get it to start up :/
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 05:02:18 pm by Banehallow »

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 07:32:51 pm »

I like doing things like this.  Using natural stalagmites for housing is very convenient--you can have a long of fun engraving.  Expanding the caverns and building a deep road for the trade caravans to depart by is fun, but it often becomes difficult to control cavern wildlife--frequent pastures staffed with war beasts are useful.  Caverns can become a lot of fun if the [Pet_Exotic] tag is removed since there are a lot of tameable monsters downthere.

For some interesting design ideas check out the Inn of Drowning on the community game forums--it is primarily in the first cavern with some...constructions...near the surface.  It's also in my sig.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?
Pages: [1] 2