Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarven horror stories  (Read 8847 times)

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
Dwarven horror stories
« on: December 09, 2011, 02:15:07 am »

There are plenty of general story threads, but now how about a horror story thread-

Tell us tales of some of the most terrifying and gruesome things to occur within your fortresses. Send chills down spines.

I'll start-

In one of my most well-developed fortresses, deep within, in the hospital,
a reacher
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
crawled out of the well in the center of the hospital, and strangled the three dwarves resting in the hospital beds, one-by-one.
Dwarves could hear their screams echoing down the long stone hallway leading to the hospital.
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven horror stories
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 02:49:13 am »

when i saw this, the thread above was titled

ever tried... Not digging?

i screamed
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 03:16:40 am »

There was that one about that time the booze ran out, but I want to get some sleep tonight.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 04:07:22 am »

I once had a mother's three babies (this was a very productive fortress) be swept away be an artifcial stream I had built. The babies were never seen again. (actually they got stuck in the grates but it was too dangerous to get them out).
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 05:19:23 am »

Once I tried to pierce an aquifer using the freezing method.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 05:45:44 am »

A while back, when I was even newbier than I am now, I learned of the neato "cave in the tiles under the wagon to quickly move all your embark goods underground" technique. Brilliant, I thought, I'll try it.

So I embarked someplace random — I wasn't choosy about the location in those days — and immediately set out. I dug a ramp down, excavated all under the wagon, channeled around it, then removed the last supporting tile, and sure enough, down it fell.

Suddenly, about a dozen purple alerts: "Urist McSo-n-so has died in the heat! Puppy McNipper has died in the heat!" and so on, a long list of 'em.

My wagon had stopped on open ground two Z-levels above the top of a covered magma pipe. Channeling out around it dropped it onto the floor of Z-1 … which was unsupported, and collapsed. I dropped my wagon, all my embark supplies, my animals and six of my starting seven into the magma within about a minute of striking the earth.

I tried to be dwarfy about it — I still had one miner with a pick after all — but all the booze was in the wagon, and when Urist McWagondropper got thirsty he waddled over to the edge of the stream, where a carp grabbed him and dragged him under to drown … very slowly. Unwatchably slowly. It was awful. And there was nobody there to help.

It was my shortest fort ever, featuring my seven most horrible dwarven deaths.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 08:06:16 am »

My first days as an overseer, forgive me if I narrate, I can't get over it.

Vharuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 08:30:42 am »

A while back, when I was even newbier than I am now, I learned of the neato "cave in the tiles under the wagon to quickly move all your embark goods underground" technique. Brilliant, I thought, I'll try it.

So I embarked someplace random — I wasn't choosy about the location in those days — and immediately set out. I dug a ramp down, excavated all under the wagon, channeled around it, then removed the last supporting tile, and sure enough, down it fell.

Suddenly, about a dozen purple alerts: "Urist McSo-n-so has died in the heat! Puppy McNipper has died in the heat!" and so on, a long list of 'em.

My wagon had stopped on open ground two Z-levels above the top of a covered magma pipe. Channeling out around it dropped it onto the floor of Z-1 … which was unsupported, and collapsed. I dropped my wagon, all my embark supplies, my animals and six of my starting seven into the magma within about a minute of striking the earth.

I tried to be dwarfy about it — I still had one miner with a pick after all — but all the booze was in the wagon, and when Urist McWagondropper got thirsty he waddled over to the edge of the stream, where a carp grabbed him and dragged him under to drown … very slowly. Unwatchably slowly. It was awful. And there was nobody there to help.

It was my shortest fort ever, featuring my seven most horrible dwarven deaths.

So you lost all but one dwarf to magma, and the last to a carp?  Sir, you packed the most intrinsic events of Dwarf Fortress into such a short duration, that I dare say you've played the most efficiently dwarfy fort ever.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 08:33:29 am »

There are plenty of general story threads, but now how about a horror story thread-

Tell us tales of some of the most terrifying and gruesome things to occur within your fortresses. Send chills down spines.

I'll start-

In one of my most well-developed fortresses, deep within, in the hospital,
a reacher
crawled out of the well in the center of the hospital, and strangled the three dwarves resting in the hospital beds, one-by-one.
Dwarves could hear their screams echoing down the long stone hallway leading to the hospital.

I had about a dozen flesh balls stuck in my hospital well myself once.  The patients could hear their noises all night, every night..
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 10:19:17 am »

30 dwarves with over 60% body rot.

and they're still alive

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 10:44:11 am »

There was that one about that time the booze ran out, but I want to get some sleep tonight.
Well, there goes my sleep for the week.

roflgar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lethargy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 11:22:20 am »

nano fort on a volcano in genesis mod.  On start most of my bulldogs, tigers, and dwarves died almost immediately.  fortunately, enough supplies survived for me to carve a hole in the side of a mountain and start digging.  Also, there was no water AT ALL on the map*.  Also, the local wildlife was hostile.  The fortress is still alive, though under siege about 75% of the time.  And we have no reliable source of iron, steel, or even bronze.  There is no cotton candy.  Naturally, the population has never been higher than about 45.

*a few in game years later I used df hack to build a way into the circus.  I also used DFreveal and discovered an aquifer in a verrrry small section in a random corner.
NatureLabor:  largest concentration of elf-loving dwarves and a few dwarfs trying to beat that out of them.
-TerrisH

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 05:00:58 pm »

Well, I had a nice fort, about 60+ dwarves, and I just breached the lower cavern systems. I had a few "scouts" to go out and explore the place, and then I saw a nice big J appear on my screen and utterly dismember the few dwarves I sent down. Never actualy going into the raw files back then, I decided to find out what it was and I saw this:

A huge monster that lurks in caverns deep under the earth. It uses its wide beak to reach down and pluck up unsuspecting intruders.

From this, one could see that it is a gigantic, underground bird, perhapes like a Pelican or crane. My dwarves where ripped apart by this bugger.

Have you seen a large bird eat, by any chance?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KEW5w-k9d8&feature=related

In this case, the baby duck is the dwarf, and the Heron is the giant underground bird with black, souless eyes.

Never got to kill the thing, tho. At the end, it managed to kill a forgotten beast made of gypsim, so I decided it was best to leave it alown. It died because of its flesh rotting off, so I suppose the only thing that could kill it was some eldrich abominations secretions. Fitting, I suppose.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 05:53:39 pm »

Well, I had a nice fort, about 60+ dwarves, and I just breached the lower cavern systems. I had a few "scouts" to go out and explore the place, and then I saw a nice big J appear on my screen and utterly dismember the few dwarves I sent down. Never actualy going into the raw files back then, I decided to find out what it was and I saw this:

A huge monster that lurks in caverns deep under the earth. It uses its wide beak to reach down and pluck up unsuspecting intruders.

From this, one could see that it is a gigantic, underground bird, perhapes like a Pelican or crane. My dwarves where ripped apart by this bugger.

Have you seen a large bird eat, by any chance?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KEW5w-k9d8&feature=related

In this case, the baby duck is the dwarf, and the Heron is the giant underground bird with black, souless eyes.

Never got to kill the thing, tho. At the end, it managed to kill a forgotten beast made of gypsim, so I decided it was best to leave it alown. It died because of its flesh rotting off, so I suppose the only thing that could kill it was some eldrich abominations secretions. Fitting, I suppose.

They'll rip apart civilians, but a trained military dwarf can take it down no problem. I killed it with two accomplished dwarves, one axedwarf and one speardwarf, post with copper weapons. They just hacked the limbs off and stabbed it in the 'till it died.
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Sunkwell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 06:17:21 pm »

Asdurmur Ebalgotom, "Cavehaunts the Revered Cavity", a highwood armor stand.
This is a highwood armor stand. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of highwood. On the item is an image of Cavehaunts the Revered Cavity the highwood armor stand in willow. On the item is an image of Cavehaunts the Revered Cavity the highwood armor stand in alpaca wool.

I'm advancing the game one step at a time, hoping it will diminish the imminent implosion due to stack overflows and recursion.
He took joy in slaughter lately.
Pages: [1] 2 3