Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarven horror stories  (Read 8840 times)

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven horror stories
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 08:02:06 pm »

Well, I had a nice fort, about 60+ dwarves, and I just breached the lower cavern systems. I had a few "scouts" to go out and explore the place, and then I saw a nice big J appear on my screen and utterly dismember the few dwarves I sent down. Never actualy going into the raw files back then, I decided to find out what it was and I saw this:

A huge monster that lurks in caverns deep under the earth. It uses its wide beak to reach down and pluck up unsuspecting intruders.

From this, one could see that it is a gigantic, underground bird, perhapes like a Pelican or crane. My dwarves where ripped apart by this bugger.

Have you seen a large bird eat, by any chance?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KEW5w-k9d8&feature=related

In this case, the baby duck is the dwarf, and the Heron is the giant underground bird with black, souless eyes.

Never got to kill the thing, tho. At the end, it managed to kill a forgotten beast made of gypsim, so I decided it was best to leave it alown. It died because of its flesh rotting off, so I suppose the only thing that could kill it was some eldrich abominations secretions. Fitting, I suppose.

They'll rip apart civilians, but a trained military dwarf can take it down no problem. I killed it with two accomplished dwarves, one axedwarf and one speardwarf, post with copper weapons. They just hacked the limbs off and stabbed it in the 'till it died.

Oh, I know that now, but this was at a time where I mostly relied on traps and such to kill things. At the time, this thing was a friggen nightmare, considering I was used to things like foxes and other cute furry things that can be clubbed to death by some mad pet. This? No preperation, no idea on what its size was or anything, and no idea on how to approch the issue besides stop going into the cavern system where it walked, bleating its horrid calls like a mad sea-bird in some uncharted abyssial sea...

On the plus side, it motavated me to go around and take a look at the military screen. :)
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 09:06:29 pm »

is it possible for a syndrom to cause dwarfs to go crazy, because after a titan attack in my MOST successful fort... one by one, every dwarf went insane, and it was a volcano fort too 0.0
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-

du3lingdragon

• Bay Watcher
  • only robots will eat your babies
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 09:29:08 pm »

"Have at yea goblins" the dwarves shouted as the gates were raised. "Umm why do you have warbears? CLOSE THE GATES CLOSE THE GAaaagggtHHHHHHH!!!!!" then they all died :(

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 09:46:14 pm »

I once had a fort, things were rather dire, and the fort was sealed off from the world. Moral was low so I dug a pipe for a new well into the meeting hall, and built it with and artifact bucket and chain. After about a month of heavy use the well began spewing blood like a!!SCIENCE!! experiment gone very wrong.
In reality I had just done my pluming wrong, and it backed up and spread all the blood around, but it was really freaking at the time to see the room slowly fill with red liquid....

DarthMetool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 11:59:32 pm »

It was my shortest fort ever, featuring my seven most hilarious dwarven deaths.

Fixed it.  I lol'ed when I read this.
Huh, city stuff?  Weird. http://city-ofdarth.myminicity.com

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2011, 01:16:10 am »

Spoiler: Prologue (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Background (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Story (click to show/hide)

A nice little story the title inspired me to write.

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2011, 10:30:29 am »

Spoiler: Prologue (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Background (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Story (click to show/hide)

A nice little story the title inspired me to write.

That was beautiful. You are a master of the dwarven pen.
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 03:39:18 pm »

The Angry Volcano is actually quite a nice place to live if you're a dwarf and know how to do your job. Things are a bit crowded, and there's no iron, but by a stroke of luck and a breach of the laws of physics, an unfortunate noble who slipped into the eponymous volcano managed to report the fact that there was a massive vein of raw adamantine near the bottom of the volcano, which was promptly recovered.

Of course, if your a goblin or an elf, things aren't all that nice. If your lucky, you get dropped into boiling magma. If your not so lucky, you get shredded by arrows and bleed out slowly. And if your really unlucky, you get caught in a cage trap, relieved of your possessions, and tossed into a blood soaked pit to be slowly stabbed to death by bloodthirsty recruits wielding wooden spears.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 05:42:54 pm »

Mezbuth Inodlar was having a fine day. She and the other recent migrants were handed pickaxes upon their arrival to Lordurns. Although the work was a difficult to get used to for the first few days, she eventually accepted the occupation shift and embraced her role as a miner.
Now a few months ago, a dwarven caravan from the mountainhomes came to visit. However, the village was in no way prepared for such an early arrival, and politely requested that they leave. Bembul Imizukol was angry, no furious! He shouted foul curses upon the residents of the fortress and tramped off with his worried guard. Then, a peculiar change to that merchant happened, as if Armok himself whispered a command into his ears. Bembul's eyes rolled back into his sockets, and he cried an unnatural cry, something more beast than dwarf. The frightened caravan guard saw him charging, and without hesitation, unleashed several bolts onto the insane dwarf. Bembul screech a manic curse, and fell, blood seeping from his ruined body. The marksdwarf stood for a second in abject terror, and ran, too terrified to even consider collecting the goods.
The dwarves of the fortress saw all this from a distance, and when they were sure the horror was over, they began salvaging the caravan, ignoring the merchant's corpse.

Mezbuth and the other miners were busy carving out some new bedrooms. They were telling the usual jokes, about what they all were before miners or furnace operators. Mezbuth herself was a woodcarver, but she was happy with the new profession as a miner for the fortress. Then it happened. A sudden chill entered the half formed room. The other miners looked at each other for a brief instant but continued their work. Then Mezbuth screamed. The other miners readied their pickaxes, preparing for a fight with a goblin snatcher, a kobold thief, even a beast from the caverns. But no, it was the merchant. His hands were around Mezbuth's throat, and although he was considerably smaller than her, she writhed as uselessley as a trout in a eagle's talons. Then his hands snapped shut. Mezbuth's sweet, beautiful head soared through the air free from its body, a look of the darkest fear contorting its features.

The merchant was immediately buried, and from then on, the dwarves of Lordruns always respected the dead.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 05:50:23 pm by Mrhappyface »
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 07:23:27 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
----

Dramatised account of that one time my little sister attempted to embark on a terrifying forest. Badly-edited, as I'm in a hurry right now.
EDIT: Fixed some silly typos and whatnot.
EDIT II: I know it's a bit late, but I just noticed an incredibly annoying superfluous comma and if I didn't fix it now it would haunt me for the rest of my life.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:10:06 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 10:16:00 pm »

In the fortress of Bronzemurdered )which strangely enough was eventually ended by a bronze colossus) The blood never washes clean.

Oh, they will scrub, and clean and work, and for a while the blood will be gone. Nothing in the entrance way but gleaming smooth obsidian engraved with images of cheese, dwarves and elves being hammered to death. Then the blood will return.

There is nothing supernatural going on here. Everyone knows where the blood comes from. You see, no one in the fortress f Bronzemurdered has any skin. Every last one of them has had it removed.

Some of the blood is from a forgotten beast, and when it touches you it makes your skin rot. The doctor, being the genius he is realized skin can not rot if you do not have any and began removing it from every single dwarf that goes to see himm. Every dwarf has fallen under his knife in the fortress, and they all couldn't be happier.

And while all the dwarves are perfectly happy living their lives without skin (just ask any of them) every once in a while some poor sod just sort of snaps, run screaming down the hall while stripping off all his clothes. They never seem to make it far before they bleed to death though. Odd they are the only ones losing blood.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2011, 12:57:15 am »

One of my dwarves died in his bed in the hospital. Then another dorf came and slept in the bed. With the corpse :-\.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2011, 01:13:45 am »

One of my dwarves died in his bed in the hospital. Then another dorf came and slept in the bed. With the corpse :-\.
This is exactly what it looks like. It menaces with spikes of bleep. It has hanging rings of oh god.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 02:43:11 am »

I once had a fort, a long time back. I believe it was my second. I knew little of the military, and I feared the caverns as Necro fears water. But I loved the water. I loved water.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 08:50:07 am »

There is this story of the fortress that was split in two in a digging accident. The lower levels contained all the magma forges and productive members in good quarters. A team of diggers explored the levels in between, when they discovered damp stone. A thorough analysis revealed that to continue digging would be safe.
You know about knockers? Evil mountain spirits? Digging wasn't safe and the flooding couldn't be contained. Doom to the lower levels. It spread slowly, there was no alternative stairway. Chaos and mayhem. Curses and screaming went on for weeks. The upper levels were quickly abandoned after the incident and evil spirits still haunt the scene.
Pages: 1 [2] 3