Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Deadly dust?  (Read 6933 times)

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
Deadly dust?
« on: December 08, 2011, 07:13:02 pm »

So, I'm fortin' it up on my new-ish fort, my military is fairly trained and I'm feeling ready for the inevitable goblins everywhere when I get the message

"Ab Vorunhundl has risen! He is a gigantic salamander with wings of stretched skin and two tails! Beware his deadly dust!"

'Oh man', I think, 'I'm not ready for deadly dust!'

So, fearing the upcoming doom for my fort, I send my not-fully armored dwarves down to take care of it. Sure enough, he starts puffing out the dust repeatedly, blasting them back and generally making fighting him not a fun time. Then... Killed. I check my dwarves, none have any syndromes or even injuries beyond a few cuts and bruises from general combat.

So, did I get some trippy, benign deadly dust or did I glitch or what? I'm quite confused (and very thankful) at the moment.
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Deadly dust?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 07:19:54 pm »

The time it takes for a syndrome to take effect is random, as is the duration of effect and what it actually does.  It might merely have not taken effect yet, or it might have already taken effect and been so mild that nobody noticed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 07:22:00 pm »

since dust is randomly generated, I think you only got the cave-in effect...
that, or the effects will take a while to show up.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 10:43:01 am »

It's also possible that the dust syndrome is contact-based.  I've had syndromes that didn't affect my covered-in-clothes-and-armor military, but as soon as they washed the dust/blood/goop off by the well and my other naked dorfs stepped in it, they all became affected.

So it may not be over yet.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 12:57:00 pm »

The syndrome may have simply covered the Dwarf's armour/clothes and avoided their skin altogether, or the dwarves affected may have just gotten lucky. I know from experience where I've had 50+ Dwarves dog pile a Titan puffing out some horrible extract, only 7 were affected.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 01:17:04 pm »

I remember when I went up against a forgotten beastie with a dust attack. It went on a small rampage crushing heads with its mighty beak before my veteran warriors took it down.

Just when I thought all was well, one of my best swordsdwarves(who got the killing blow on the beast) dropped dead, I immediately went to check on the veteran hammerdwarf who had also been hit by the dust. He didn't even get to make off the stairwell before dying from blood loss. The dwarves hit with the dust suffered severe bleeding from every part of their body.

Must have been quite a horrifying sight to passersby.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 01:22:38 pm by King DZA »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 01:19:48 pm »

The seven dwarves I had infected all swelled up, every part of their body was a bleeding cyst. What amazed me was the Dwarf that scored the killing blow managed to wash some of it off before the effects took hold, and all were saved by my epic hospital at the time.

So unless the syndrome you have is some sort of incubated-chronic-implosion syndrome, you're safe... Mostly.

Joshua IX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 02:30:33 pm »

So unless the syndrome you have is some sort of incubated-chronic-implosion syndrome, you're safe... Mostly.

Don't forget the fast-spreading rot, that grows back faster than it can be removed.

The rot...

Oh Armok, the rot :(
Whatever happens, make it ironic dwarfy magma.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 03:44:54 pm »

I had a syndrome which caused asphyxiation. My militia slaughtered the beast, then lost the ability to breathe, and suffocated before they could even reach the hospital.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 04:11:33 pm »

Speaking of dust-induced rot, I had some dwarves end up with rotting pancreases after they killed a forgotten beast once.  I quite playing the fort soon thereafter, but they seemed perfectly fine for months.

I know the pancreas is only really there to cause bleeding and a dwarf can live without it, but will the rot eventually spread, cause an infection or otherwise have some chance to kill the dwarves?  My doctors didn't seem to be in a hurry to do anything about it.

Oh, and does armor actually help protect against dust?  Would a dwarf in complete armor plus a hood be protected from the horror?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 04:25:32 pm »

Unfortunately, shortly after I killed the thing I accidentally breached HFS and my pitifully equipped military (All I had was galena and cassiertite...) was slaughtered, the fort came to an untimely end.

I shall never know what that dust actually did.
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 08:57:06 pm »

the first time i came across a deadly fume my people randomly went insane
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 09:06:09 pm »

Now that would be a nice dust to weaponize. Turn everything against... well... everything.

When you think about it, DF is a terrible, terrible game. It's easy to forget when looking at a little ASCII symbol, that it is meant to represent someone bleeding from every orifice they have =/

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 03:01:49 am »

Eh. It's just a game. Sure, there was that one fort that had a dwarf with no skin, or the other one with only bone and scars. Some pretty horrible stuff happens here, but it's just a game.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 05:39:55 am »

Eh. It's just a game. Sure, there was that one fort that had a dwarf with no skin, or the other one with only bone and scars. Some pretty horrible stuff happens here, but it's just a game.

It's a simulation of a fantasy world.*

*Added !FUN! involved :P
Pages: [1] 2