Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: SRPGs?  (Read 5177 times)

dehimos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SRPGs?
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2011, 05:34:34 pm »

The remake FFT with PSP have problems (FPS) but this remake with Iphone dont have this problem.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2011, 06:09:34 pm »

Front Mission! I enjoyed 1 and 3 immensely, but haven't played the others so I can't vouch for them. I've heard the newest one, Front Mission Evolved, is a little iffy. In both I played: customizable mecha's, character advancement for the pilots, more strategy in most missions than "kill other team", quite engaging storylines. Lots of people find them kind of slow/dry, but those who like them tend to like them a lot.

In more general advice, buy a DS is you haven't. It's got an incredible library of SRPGs, both originals and remakes. And they're dirt cheap if you buy used, what with people updating to the 3DS and all.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2011, 09:45:09 pm »

They basically tossed out the "strategy" and "rpg" for Front Mission Evolved. It's just an action game in the same vein as Armored Core and the like, though not nearly as good. They bastardized the story elements a bit as well, but that's all a different topic really. I'd also recommend a DS if you're willing, it's quite the haven for SRPGs. Wish I hadn't sold mine.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2011, 09:51:18 pm »

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: I'm really not a fan of the presentation of this game, as it seems to go out of it's way to be childish.  I've also been unable to find any kind of status screen that tells me what abilities characters have learned, or how many AP they still need.  That said, the 'law' mechanic is pretty cool and definitely helps to keep things fresh.

You should just stop now, honestly, and start playing FFT, translations or no. Not only does FFT have an adult storyline, but you're not hamstrung by race combinations like you are in FFT:A. Sure, you may not 3 different variations of fencers or heavy fighters in FFT like you do in FFT:A....but every job in FFT feels like it has a point. FFT:A goes for "Let's give them a bad ass name and one cool attack" method of doing things. With FFT you can actually mix job abilities in interesting ways. In FFT:A you're literally stacking a class full of a ton of attacks you don't need.

Plus FFT also, imo, has far more magic with far more variety. FFT:A really was a FFT for tweens, and even if it is a Square game with all the square game goodness, it's one of those Square games I've put down knowing I'll never, ever finish. Like FF9, FF10, and FF12.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2011, 09:58:49 pm »

Heh, I'll give it a second chance in that case, and I'd recommend you do the same with FF IX.  I thought that game was incredibly weak until a I was a fair way through.  Mind if I ask what point you played up to?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2011, 09:07:55 am »

I can't even really remember. Something about super long, overlapping causeways. I dunno. I probably put a good 14 hours into it. It just didn't take.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

The Super Robot Wars games. All of them. I'm limiting my suggestions to that, because an actual "Decent SRPG" list would have a good few dozen entries, and that's just PSX and earlier.

A google for SRPG will get you a larger list of similar games.

This. This needs more love over here. It's quite similar to Fire Emblem in some aspects, but it doesn't have permadeath. Unlike Fire Emblem, it also allows you to upgrade your robots between levels.

Storyline's relatively awesome (I only played the GBA versions, so that's what I'm referring to in this post.), with mechs and anime-type conspiracy theories, and bada** characters.

The first GBA game is easy, and the second GBA game steps up in difficulty. Too bad, you still need to play the first one to understand what happened.

And like almost everyone else who posted their recommendations, I'm also going to recommend the Disgaea series. First one is funny and has a nice story. Second one is kind of lame in the plot department, but the PSP version of it incorporates some features from Disgaea 3, making it better than the first in terms of game mechanics.

I haven't tried the third, and most certainly haven't tried A Promise Unforgotten yet, so I can't say anything about them yet.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2011, 09:43:14 am »

Re: Super Robot Wars: There's actually three on the GBA that's in english -- the OG games, that you mentioned, that use entirely original characters, and J, which is part of the SRW main series (Read: Megacrossover madness.) and was fantranz'd... sometime last year? *checks* Yeah, 2010.

As for english (SRPG) SRW games go: You've got SRW1, on the gameboy, SRW3, on the SNES, SRW Alpha Gaiden, on the PSX, and then the GBA ones. Of those, only the OG (Original Generation) ones were ever officially translated. The copyright entanglements involved in the SRW series is hilariously complicated -- they're (each and every one of them) basically mega-crossover fanfiction involving upwards a couple dozen giant robot series. The chances of non-OG games ever seeing an official state-side release is basically zero.

Plot wise, each game (at least within the confines of that game) has seemed to be disturbingly self-consistant. Like I said, it's megacrossover fanfiction... that's actually well put together (Protip: That doesn't happen very often.). The fights are also pretty tough if you don't hack up your money to infinite :P

If you have any love whatsoever of giant robots, SRW is just something you need to do, at least occasionally.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2011, 09:48:18 am »

Really? Well, if that's that, time to whip out the ol' emulator, and download the fanslated games.

Thanks for the info, never got to my mind that I should be looking for fanslated versions of the other games.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: 1 2 [3]