Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: SRPGs?  (Read 5175 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

Also similar to Disgaea is Phantom Brave which is a personal favorite. It's the same strategy based RPG, but it's unique in that the square grid is removed. You also don't "deploy" units at the start of battle, rather you always start with the main character and she summons spirits bound to objects around the map. The characters, setting, and story really struck a chord with me as well.

Well that certainly piqued my interest.  How does it handle movement/attack ranges without a grid?  Is it all distance based?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

Also similar to Disgaea is Phantom Brave which is a personal favorite. It's the same strategy based RPG, but it's unique in that the square grid is removed. You also don't "deploy" units at the start of battle, rather you always start with the main character and she summons spirits bound to objects around the map. The characters, setting, and story really struck a chord with me as well.

Well that certainly piqued my interest.  How does it handle movement/attack ranges without a grid?  Is it all distance based?

Yeah, its all distance based.  That reminds me that Makai Kingdom was also like that. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, everything's circles. Your characters have movement ranges, attacks/spells have three dimensional shapes they target instead of the approximations of these shapes that grid-based ones use. For the most part I quite liked Phantom Brave as well (I'm a pretty big fan of the story and I'm excited to see Castille as DLC in disgaea 4), but the lack of a grid takes some getting used to, surprisingly. Movement feels slippery at times (and not just when you're on ice levels) since you can stand on top of bits of the landscape and other characters and if you get too close to edges trying to get just barely close enough to use a skill your momentum will carry you right over the edge. You get used to it after a while and there are some things you can do with the controls to help out, but, like any other new system, it takes some getting used to.

Edit: now you've got me looking at NIS games (Disgaea, Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom have been talked about here so far) and I just remembered Soul Nomad too. I think it's an SRPG, but other than the fact that it has an uncharacteristically dark story for an NIS game, I don't really know anything about it. Maybe other people do?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 01:27:34 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

Alright, I've checked out a few of these games now.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: I'm really not a fan of the presentation of this game, as it seems to go out of it's way to be childish.  I've also been unable to find any kind of status screen that tells me what abilities characters have learned, or how many AP they still need.  That said, the 'law' mechanic is pretty cool and definitely helps to keep things fresh.

Disgaea DS: Probably my favourite so far.  I absolutely adore the amount of character customisation that is possible here and the writing seems to be to a fairly high quality.  I kinda wish there were less characters allowed on each map though, 10 of mine vs ~10 of their can get pretty cluttered.

Final Fantasy Tactics: It looked promising from a gameplay perspective, but the English translation makes me want to claw my eyes out (especially in the tutorials)

I'm gonna try playing around 2 hours into every game suggested in this thread before choosing one to really invest my time into, so keep them coming :)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: I'm really not a fan of the presentation of this game, as it seems to go out of it's way to be childish.  I've also been unable to find any kind of status screen that tells me what abilities characters have learned, or how many AP they still need.  That said, the 'law' mechanic is pretty cool and definitely helps to keep things fresh.

It is a pretty confounding UI if you're not used to it. Shoulder buttons are your friend if I'm remembering right.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SRPGs?
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2011, 12:27:19 pm »

They just released a mod for FFT that rebalances everything.

Link

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2011, 12:28:49 pm »

Link

Does it do anything about the translation?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 12:33:49 pm »

About Fire Emblem:

You might want to start with Fire Emblem 8: Sacred Stones for GBA. It's the easiest as it allows grinding for levels/items/money (special re-visitable dungeons).

You start the story with one/two heroes, and slowly gain allies and enemies, the latter are recruitable sometimes. There are many melee/magic classes and most of the time they are stuffed into 'rock-paper-scissors' triangles: Axe beats Spears, Spears beat Swords and so on.

Personal favorites in the series are 7th and 6th installment, which should be played in that order (7th is prequel to 6th, as you play here with kids/young relatives of heroes from 7th game.) - long missions, lot'sa units to get, and quite high difficulty level.

Titles below 6th are for SNES/NES and are exceptionally hard to get and not suck at them (unless you speak Japanese and are good at tactical battles).
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2011, 01:21:56 pm »

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits has is a non-gridded SRPG and is a good game, though for the most part you can't choose your teams' compositions and is light on customization.

Shining Force
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:26:45 pm by Flying Carcass »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2011, 01:43:51 pm »

Only the first two Shining Force games were SRPGs, if I remember correctly(only played the first though), and both were on the Genesis, the rest were hack'n'slash dungeon crawls.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2011, 01:54:04 pm »

I didn't realize there were any Shining Force games after the first two.  :-\

Also, the first two Shining Forces are on Steam.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2011, 02:39:15 pm »

There's a couple more (SRPG) shining force games on the Sega CD, iirc, but only one was ever translated to any degree. Major emphasis on the remembering correctly, though. There's also a game gear one that's apparently been fantrans'd.

Remake or two on the GBA, but those were just remakes, nothing particularly new.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2011, 04:38:24 pm »

Link
My mind, it is blown. Like I needed a reason to play through this for the tenth time.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2011, 05:10:52 pm »

Here's my experience with SRPGs, spoilered due to length.

FFT
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tactics Ogre: LUCT

FFTA

FFTA2

Disgaea

Fire Emblem

X-COM

It's all up to personal preference in the end, but if I were picking an order it'd be X-COM, FFT, FFTA/Tactics Ogre, Fire Emblem, FFTA2, Disgaea.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2011, 05:29:36 pm »

So War of the Lions is a remake, not a sequel?

This is welcome news.

E: Looks like I don't have any of the platforms it runs on.  Is PSP/iOS emulation a thing yet?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 05:31:35 pm by lordcooper »
Pages: 1 [2] 3