Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Kael's fiery thread of firespinning tools and burnination  (Read 1290 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Kael's fiery thread of firespinning tools and burnination
« on: December 08, 2011, 12:44:31 am »

So I'm what you might call a semi-professional fire performing artist.  :P In this thread I will catalogue the creation and upkeep of various fire weaponry and tools as well as videos and other projects I have worked on. Questions from budding/existing pyromaniacs welcome! I am however, not responsible for anything that you decide to do at your own risk.

Lake Tahoe Flow Arts Festival 2011:
Number 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC5nzgzV0i0 bonus Kael at 4:17 in.

To come - How to create your own fire swords.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Kael's fiery thread of firespinning tools and burnination
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 12:45:56 am »

How to create my own fire swords? This sounds like it will end swimmingly.

(I'll be sure to practice near large bodies of water, if at all.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 12:57:06 am »

That is an awesome picture.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 01:55:45 am »

How in the holy heck do you keep your face unburnt while wielding massive swords of !!FIRE!!?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 02:12:01 am »

I can be trusted with blades.  Not only trusted.  I perform exceedingly well with the sharpest of blades.  I'll peel a tomato with a knife, I'll fold origami 1/4 the size of a dime using needles, I'll cut coils of metal with 18 inch long bolt cutters.  I can be trusted with corrosive chemicals and cleaning aids, and will not only keep things from spilling, but apply carefully and precisely.  I could run headlong balancing a bottle of mustard gas on the flat of a steak knife.

As soon as things get hot I immediately ruin myself.  I burned myself lighting a candle.  I don't even need fire!  I gave myself a pretty bad burn just using a dremel saw blade!  Fire is not my element, I have come to accept this and move on.  If I ever attempt anything near an open flame or a heat element, I instinctively know to keep an icepack nearby.  I have trouble using the microwave sometimes.

Respect, sir.  You have it.

Also the metalcrafter in me wonders: Some of those look like aerated pots hanging from chains.  What are they made of?  I'm going to assume stainless steel.  As a follow-up, might I shamelessly whore out my chainmail services and offer to sell you some sort of fire-waving chain or somesuch?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 02:37:00 am »

@Barbar: Yes, I actually owe someone a writeup on how to build a pair of fire swords. So hopefully I'll motivate myself now that I just finished the video from August.

@New Guy: The swords actually give off a little too much flame. I was intending to be able to use them without protective gloves and a shirt but unfortunately, it's a little too hot. And by too hot I mean every time I used them I singe my eyelashes and hair. No bueno. I might sadly have to mod them for less flame.

@Girlinhat: The particular prop/tool you're wondering about is commonly called fire poi. They are kevlar wicks on chains - commonly stainless steel - which are swung. Kevlar, besides being resistant to bullets, is also extremely flame resistant and the kevlar wicks can last for hundreds of burns.

The incredibly large flames that I use (like in my avatar) come from these - called deathstar poi:

The edges deteriorate faster than the typical stacked poi heads, but a large surface area means a stupidly large fire. (Kaelnote: I would not use deathstar poi-heads with ballchain as pictured, I have oval-linked chains)

I'm not sure if I need any chainmail at the moment, but if I need more stainless steel chain, I'll know who to ask :P

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 04:16:24 am »

Wow, where I live, (Sunshine Coast hinterland in Queensland, Australia) we have a pretty big annual festival called the Woodford Folk Festival which involves a lot of fire-twirling and such... Who knows, maybe I'll take it up, there's nothing quite like burning stuff! ;D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 04:24:35 am »

I did a similar thing with burning clubs once. Was awesome, even though nobody expected me to have any kind of agility. Ha!

Despite my only permanent scars being cuts and burns, I am not clumsy with either flames or blades.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 04:31:53 am »

Well, how many other kinds of scars can you get...? Well, acne scars... Maybe a really bad abrasion or something... Oh right, bites!
Ahem, anyway. I thought about this for longer than 5 seconds and realised Yoink+Twirling balls of fire=Class A Bad Idea.
All this several-years-worth of long hair would go up pretty quick, methinks... Maaaaybe I'll just watch. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 04:37:59 am »

Same here.  I'm like "Fire twirling, that's bossin'!  I gotta go out and get me... wait a minute..."  Kael you might be the worst impression on me yet.  It's like watching someone shark dive and then slathering yourself in raw meat and papercuts before jumping into the salty ocean water naked.  That's me with fireballs.  Something dangerous but stable turned into a clusterfuck of emergency room paperwork.  10 seconds flat.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 07:54:50 am »

This inspires awe.

Do you use differently coloured fires?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 08:01:32 am »

Oh hey, I remember you posted about making your own fire swords some year or two ago. I see you got around to finishing them?

Brackev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 04:26:02 pm »

It's a good thing that you are doing that on pre-burnt terrain.  Fires in DF spread everywhere.

I wish I could play with fire like that.
-------

Dinos with hammers, there is no escape.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 04:31:55 pm »

I had always thought your avatar was some random GIF you found on the internet.

So, what do your friends and family think of this?
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 08:27:43 am »

I hate all kinds of elves, with the possible exception of Kael, since he is a Fire Elf.

Seriously though, how long did it take you to learn how to wield !wicked! flames like that?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: [1] 2