Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: &'s everywhere  (Read 4380 times)

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: &'s everywhere
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 08:50:08 am »

I've seen demons of most positions before. I made a world specifically designed to maximise demon prisoners although it also created a lot of leaders. They seem to be able to make their way into a lot of different positions. I *think* the prerequisite for being a lower level nobel is that a different demon has taken the better levels. If I remember correctly there were even a few demons who were nothing but members of civs (without being imprisoned that is)

Edit: Right, I did some digging and found the save. It's on Genesis so I dunno how much that matters. Positions I have seen an & in:
Emperor (Orc)
King (Human or Keeper I assume)
Queen
Master (demonic civilisation)
Law-giver (again, demonic)
A non position, however the demon was killed by an elephant in world-gen. Whether or not that removes his position from legends I'm not sure

Hmmm perhaps I was wrong. It seems the law-giver thing is only for demonic civilisations and the non-position was just caused by death. Interestingly enough however there were a few Demons who become masters of some civlisations and then were imprisoned by an unrelated group. A nord group in particular got off on imprisoning the demonic leaders of a certain group.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 09:19:23 am by CriticallyAshamed »

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 10:56:15 am »

Funny. I knew that leaders of civs could be demons but I've never heard of diplomats or similar lessers under the monarch being demons.

You must teach your dwarves the demon-tongue, so that they may shout otherworldly battle cries at their enemies.

iv gotten two demon diplomats on the same game before O.O

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 11:02:37 am »

I had a FB Diplomat once :)

"Errr... welcome?"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 11:09:07 am »

thats actually suiting because my first demon diplomat was a turtoise demon

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 11:41:02 pm »

I've seen demons of most positions before. I made a world specifically designed to maximise demon prisoners although it also created a lot of leaders...

Fascinating! I always enjoyed the as-of-yet underdeveloped political system of dwarf fortress... I'm quite curious how you maximized demon prisoners. If you have any tips on how to mess with the political structure of a gen, please tell me.

nttea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2011, 02:19:37 am »

i had a demon "friendly" diplomat walk around my fort for a while... apparently he was spreading some kind of syndrome cause my dwarves started rotting or something... and i am PRETTY sure it couldn't have come from any other source. Lesson here is... uh.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2011, 10:37:26 am »

Law-givers are like human monarchs, except they can be demons.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 12:38:55 pm »

^Yes, and also note that they may come as diplomats despite being the leader of the civ.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2011, 02:11:25 pm »

One of my forts had a goblin king for a while, and then of course last year we had the ogre mayor, but this one beats all. 

I think of this sort of thing as an evil human civilization.  Just sort of makes sense.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 05:51:29 am »

I've seen demons of most positions before. I made a world specifically designed to maximise demon prisoners although it also created a lot of leaders...

Fascinating! I always enjoyed the as-of-yet underdeveloped political system of dwarf fortress... I'm quite curious how you maximized demon prisoners. If you have any tips on how to mess with the political structure of a gen, please tell me.

It was less a case of editing politics more a case of maximising the types of demons. I'm reasonably sure that was the reason for the huge amount of them. I know I saw at least 15 demons (at the time I was attempting to make a squad of demon companions, however I was foiled by a blizzard occuring in a city that contained ~5) imprisoned. From what I remember most positions are editable in the entity files though?

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 06:02:43 am »

It was less a case of editing politics more a case of maximising the types of demons. I'm reasonably sure that was the reason for the huge amount of them. I know I saw at least 15 demons (at the time I was attempting to make a squad of demon companions, however I was foiled by a blizzard occuring in a city that contained ~5) imprisoned. From what I remember most positions are editable in the entity files though?

So increasing the demon type count increases their prevalence? Nice. I had assumed that it was more top-down, as in an event "demon escaped" led to a random draw of the demon varieties. But it seems that its the other way around, with each variety being assigned an infinite demon pool which each has a chance of escaping. This needs some !!science!!.

And ill need to look into entity file editing. I know nothing of it.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2011, 10:38:14 pm »

"she is very fat."

Well that sure isn't very nice, I bet being a towering lizard demon makes your diet hard to keep track of.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2011, 12:14:41 am »

"she is very fat."

Well that sure isn't very nice, I bet being a towering lizard demon makes your diet hard to keep track of.

Well, lizards have notoriously slow metabolisms, and being a diplomat and all, she just couldn't turn down those masterfully chopped Forgotten Beast testicles.
Pages: 1 [2]